Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Good tyres for Volvo 940

Views : 2881

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2017, 22:53   #21
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_EG_940 View Post
I use Dunlop Sport Bluresponse 195/65R15 91H... seem to work just fine and are about £50 fitted on black circles.
I got 22,000 miles out of a set of those on the front.

Just fitted some Toyo Proxes CF2 205/65/15 99H XL to the rear, nice and chunky!
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 23:27   #22
Jebus
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Lots of interesting stuff there - especially since my current tyres are in fact Uniroyal RainSport 3s! They're the asymmetric tyre I was talking about. The previous owner added a full set to the car around 11 months ago. I had the wheels aligned around 4 months ago so I don't know if it's the driving before this point that has caused them to wear prematurely?

I changed the PSI in all tyres to 32 around 2 months ago. The car has definitely handled better since then but it's not stopped the wear. I've just looked through the service history and the car's done 8000 miles since the tyres were last changed.

I trust the mechanic - he's an honest sort and has been recommended on this forum. I've also taken the car to three garages now and none of them have spotted anything wrong with the suspension, which is what makes it so strange.

One garage noticed that the tie rods looked worn but not badly and recommended not to replace them. This wasn't mentioned at all by the other garages.

By 'good tyre' I mean one that is medium to hard wearing with good grip - not sure how else to describe it but not cheapies basically
The uniroyals are quite a soft compound, so do wear faster and they do have an wear style from what have read on forums, they wear quite fast for a while and seems to level off quite a lot what is the remaining tread depth like just now?

You are looking for the golden tyre, the longer lasting a tyre, the less it will grip, modern advances in rubber compounds and tyre build has do a lot to help but "green" tyres, that is ones that are the high milers, will grip less but its a big balancing game depending the car/driving style and locations you drive in.

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2017, 23:56   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Well i was sitting all sort of smug-like as i've also been looking at tyres recently for mine. I had them saved in my cart on tyreleader while i amass the funds to buy them.

Went for a shower, came back to a message on the tyreleader tab - "Your Cart is now empty".

Seems the ones i wanted (Austone Athena) are now out of stock for some reason so i'm torn between Falken Ziex ZE-914 and Matador MP44 Elite3, obviously in 195/65HR15 :

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r15-91h-628473

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r15-91h-178666

Back to the drawing board now! I've got the Falkens on another car and they're great on that but i also know of a car running on the Matadors with good results.

Something to watch out for that your choice doesn't suddenly become unavailable!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 20:30   #24
volvo always
Premier Member

I have bought Michelin energy savers for the last 8 years and used them on my 240 GLT and find them good. On my 3rd set for the 240. Probably get around 30,000 miles as I replace them around 2.5mm

I recently bought a 940 that came with a mix of tyres and the back end tried to slide out going round a double roundabout on the budget Chinese tyres in the wet. No I wasn't giving it some!

I got a screw through one and decided to replace the rears with some used Michelin energy savers, both made 0216 and one 40/2016 and no puncture repairs/ damage as I inspected inside/ outside. One with 6.5mm and other 7mm tread. One cost £20 other £25.00 plus fitting.

So far in the 3 months fitted I'm very pleased. May replace fronts at some point but as around 5mm left in no hurry. Probably buy new as front does steering etc.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 23:36   #25
Forrest
VOC Member

I've been using Michelin Primacy 3 for summer use lately. Very pleased with them and they seem to wear well. I tend to get at least 30,000 miles out of a set and I don't treat them especially gently. These are non-directional which is an essential requirement as I like to have a matching full-size spare.

In winter I put a set of Michelin Alpin winter tyres on one of my 940s. These are directional but they grip like anything. Hard braking is possible on fresh snow without a peep from the ABS.

In my experience uneven tyre wear is always down to poorly adjusted tracking or worn suspension components. If your steering wheel is crooked or the car pulls to either side your tracking is out however expensive the machine the man at the tyre centre failed to use correctly.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 02:17   #26
deeman940
Master Member

I run TOYO T1-R on my 940, I love them, they give more grip than anything else and are predictable in the wet. They are however a performance tyre so I wouldn't expect anywhere near some of the figures quoted in this thread for wear...
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 11:05   #27
tofufi
Premier Member

I had Kumho Ecowing ES01s fitted to my 740 around just under 18 months/15,000 miles ago.

I picked them primarily because of the good noise, fuel economy and wet grip ratings. All I can say is that they're very quiet, and over the last 4000 miles I've averaged 46MPG (D24t ).

The tyres don't really appear to have worn much at all over the last 15,000 miles, so I'm hoping they'll make it to well over 30,000 without needing to be replaced.

I've never known a car look after tyres like my 740

Last edited by tofufi; Aug 27th, 2017 at 11:13.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 15:51   #28
gpl1968
VOC Member

I needed new tyres for the MOT last November and luckily Costco were doing a £50 discount offer on 4 x Michelins. The choice in 205, 55, 16 was Primacy or Cross Climate. The Cross Climates were a few pounds more and I was advised that the wear was only slightly worse but the grip was much better so I opted for the Cross Climates.
I have to say that the grip is amazing. I've had Michelin Prinmacys, Bridgestones and Continentals in the past but these tyres are the best by a long way. Over the winter tha car felt safe and secure in the wet, ice and snow. This was proved during a trip to the Lake District over the new year where the car didn't put a foot wrong (apart from when driving over Shap on the M6 the rear washer nozzle blew off when I tried to clean the rear window, must have been frozen).
Another thing I noticed is that tyre noise is lower than my previous tyres (Bridgestones).
A friend has since put Cross Climates on his V70 D5 and has experienced the same benefits in grip and noise.
The jury is still out as regards to tyre wear but they still look good after 10 months.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 19:18   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

While on the subject of tyres, has anyone used these before?

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...r15-91h-574108

Not sure i've ever had Firestones on any car and certainly not recently. They used to have a good name but don't know these days?
Also they're cheaper than a lot of the Chinese "Ditch-Finders" which makes me wonder a bit.........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 16:37   #30
jmcc500

I've just put Continental Premium Contact 5s on my 940. After previous cars running silly rubber these seemed fair value and seem to win most of the tyre tests at the moment. So far I'm very pleased with them - much better than the tyres that came off (Matadors I think).
jmcc500 is offline   Reply With Quote