Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bluetooth audio streaming

Views : 1858

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2017, 12:23   #1
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Bluetooth audio streaming

I never normally stream audio via Bluetooth but a mate asked me to check it out as he just got the Sensus 2 update and is convinced that previously album art appeared on the Sensus display while streaming from his iPhone but it doesn't now. I tried it using my Android phone and no album art appeared.

Has anyone seen album art when streaming via Bluetooth?

As an aside, I'd read elsewhere that Bluetooth streaming reduced the audio quality so I compared the sound quality of streaming Spotify from the phone with playing the same track using the in-built Spotify app. The Bluetooth stream was noticeably inferior but this could be for a number of reasons, particularly which codec is being used. What happens is that the 2 devices negotiate which codecs they have in common and aim to select the highest quality one they have in common. Unfortunately, most devices only implement the mandated basic one called SBC so that's the one that gets used.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 14:38   #2
Chief inspector
Master Member

Im talking XC60 here, but you get the grace note album art on the HDD or via USB, but you only get text if streaming from Spotify over Bluetooth from an iPhone
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 18:55   #3
gmk666

Some of my streamed albums display artwork, some don't.
I can only assume the difference between these two is one was downloaded to my phone directly via iTunes, the other via my mac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (236.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0677.jpg (201.0 KB, 13 views)
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 20:31   #4
Bicax

Lexman, I know you already replied to this question the other day, but I just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand you.

If you stream Spotify on the phone and send the sound to the car via Bluetooth, there definitely should be a reduction in sound quality.

But if you connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth so that the car uses the phone's data plan, the quality of the in-car Spotify app is no different than if it was connecting to the car via WiFi?
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 10:16   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
Lexman, I know you already replied to this question the other day, but I just want to make sure I didn't misunderstand you.

If you stream Spotify on the phone and send the sound to the car via Bluetooth, there definitely should be a reduction in sound quality.

But if you connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth so that the car uses the phone's data plan, the quality of the in-car Spotify app is no different than if it was connecting to the car via WiFi?
That's correct. The maximum data rate that Spotify uses for streaming (in Extreme mode) is 320kbps which is well within the standard Bluetooth data transfer rate of 2.1Mbps.

Bluetooth tethering also has the advantage that it uses considerably less power than WiFi tethering and on Android phones it can be left on all day with minimum impact on battery life. I don't know if iOS on an iPhone allows it to be left on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 13:39   #6
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
That's correct. The maximum data rate that Spotify uses for streaming (in Extreme mode) is 320kbps which is well within the standard Bluetooth data transfer rate of 2.1Mbps.

Bluetooth tethering also has the advantage that it uses considerably less power than WiFi tethering and on Android phones it can be left on all day with minimum impact on battery life. I don't know if iOS on an iPhone allows it to be left on.
Yes you can let bluetooth always on the iPhone without noteble impact on the running time. It is the preferred way to connect your iPhone to the car as the wifi connection will not start always automatically due to power saving measures.