Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Auto vs T5 manual

Views : 2552

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 17:03   #1
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Default T5 Auto vs T5 manual

As there seems to a distinct lack of decent manual T5's near me, I'm thinking about looking at autos instead as I've sen a couple local. Just wanted to check anything specific I should look at when viewing an auto (realise I'll to check smooth changes, kick down etc). Also what are the real world mpg figures on an auto, I've had a manual so know roughly what to expect from them, but how does the Auto compare?
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2017, 17:33   #2
Yobbo
Dave

If you're considering an auto, be aware - the gear boxes are torque limited in the lower gears.

If you don't mind day-to-day cruising with a bit of poke ad-hoc then an auto might suit, but if you're looking for true performance and less limitations on future upgrades get a manny.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 04:37   #3
AutoNaut

I have owned both a T5 auto and presently a T5 6 speed manual. I have to say the manual is a whole lot more fun and feels faster. I never found much use for the geartronic shift. Fuel economy is about 2 mpg better with the manual depending on driving style.
Stan
AutoNaut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutoNaut For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 08:48   #4
domhart10
Volvo S40

I think if you are keeping things standard then an Auto should be fine just make sure it has been well looked after, but if you can wait .... id wait for a manual. I couldn't dream of driving my T5 without a manual gearbox

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:13   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
If you're considering an auto, be aware - the gear boxes are torque limited in the lower gears.
Cant provide any extra feedback as I only ever had manual, but from what I have read on this and US forum, AT gearboxes are much more prone to failure comparing to their MT counterparts.
But as for torque limiter - that can be easily sorted out by Stage1 tune, have seen atleast 1 company that does it as addon option if requested. No clue how it affect longetivity of such gearbox after that, but it is doable.

Good luck with the hunt!
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:45   #6
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Cheers for the comments, I think my choice may depend on the guise of T5 I manage to find, I test drove a C70 T5 manual at the weekend and it didn't seem as quick as my mapped D3, but didn't feel like you really needed to drive it fast, so I think a C70 would suit the auto box, and just have it as a cruiser with a bit of poke.

S40/V50/C30 wise I think I'd defo prefer the manual as I'm pretty sure at some point I'll want to get it remapped like my old one, and not sure what the auto's are like to remap.

But trying to find a decent manual T5 close seems a bit impossible, have found one a couple of hours away, but it's 2017 108k, no timming belt change, and needs some work, so not sure it's ideal :-( , but it's available at what seems a very decent price, just depends if I want to risk getting a car that needs work and over 100k.

Just need to wait and see if the C30 sells
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 11:40   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Depends what you want out of the car really, and how far you are planning to go to get it etc etc

here is a V50 manual
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...del=V50&page=1

I travelled ages for mine and snapped it up as soon as it came online really. If the car is not as tidy that another one but at a cheaper price than atleast you will have the fund to repair it and know what has been done.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 11:54   #8
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I would be more willing to travel but I've been stung a few times, with car's no where near as described, of sold from under me after I've already paid for travel, so I prefer to buy closer to home.

Think I have my heart set on a C70 now, and the one that needs some work is more appealing, the sellers away till next week so will have a chat when she's back and find exactly what needs to be done, but looks like Timing belt, rear springs/shocks, and the 108k does kind of put me off a bit as guessing a clutch and DMF may also be needed, espcially if I want to remap.

But it's all kind or a moot point till I see if the C30 sells, was originally going to trade it in but the offers I got were woeful :-(
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 11:57   #9
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

It's also kind of depressing but I'm sure T5's are selling for more now than what I got when I sold my minter 4 years ago, sure I only got £2900 (struggled to get that trade in was only 2K) on a 54 plate T5 SE Sport with all the toys and sunroof, that age a cars are going for that now :-(. I always seem to buy/sell at the wrong time :-(
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 14:16   #10
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysn7x View Post
I would be more willing to travel but I've been stung a few times, with car's no where near as described, of sold from under me after I've already paid for travel, so I prefer to buy closer to home.

Think I have my heart set on a C70 now, and the one that needs some work is more appealing, the sellers away till next week so will have a chat when she's back and find exactly what needs to be done, but looks like Timing belt, rear springs/shocks, and the 108k does kind of put me off a bit as guessing a clutch and DMF may also be needed, espcially if I want to remap.

But it's all kind or a moot point till I see if the C30 sells, was originally going to trade it in but the offers I got were woeful :-(
There's a monster C70 on autotrader at the minute - £4k