Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS control unit repair

Views : 145715

Replies : 256

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2014, 14:29   #241
RiPsTa33
Trader

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72655
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 20:25   #242
Yog Sothoth

Default ABS unit disaster

hope it’s ok to revive this old thread.
I tried the self-repair of the ABS module from my ‘98 V70r as it failed MOT. All was going ok but in getting the lid off the box, I dislodged a component on the board. 😭
Does anyone know if that means it’s a write-off, or would it be feasible to replace said component (or get a competent electronics technician to do it)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EFDAB2B0-07A9-4982-B0BD-97B69A31F6C5.jpg (115.8 KB, 26 views)
Yog Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 21:02   #243
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

IMHO
It would depend on what the component is, if it's a simple component like a resistor or capacitor shouldn't be too hard, a more complex component like a processor chip makes it much more risky; similarly if the component is damaged simple components simple to replace, complex components practically impossible to replace. I'd say at this point it rapidly becomes simpler to get hold of a secondhand unit from a breaker.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 21:14   #244
Yog Sothoth

After a bit of googling, it seems it’s an electrolytic capacitor. I will take it to the electronics guys at work and ask if it’s replaceable.
Am I right in thinking that a replacement unit has to be the exact same component number and has to be both pump and ECU, or they won’t be compatible?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F6782B90-4AC2-40E5-A139-BFAFA7E5A0A4.jpeg (43.4 KB, 6 views)
Yog Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 20:05   #245
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Yes, it's a 22uF 35V electrolytic capacitor. The component cost should be mimimal; a matter of pence. Anybody who's used to working on surface mount printed circuit boards ought to be able to do it although the Conformol coating can make it a little more difficult. It's the sort of thing I occasionally do myself at work but I'm not sure I'd want to tackle it at home.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 20:59   #246
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Conformol coating- Advice Please.

Martin: ~
Question if you can help please: ~ I have done a repair on the ABS unit (’97 V70)
The top coating was just peeled back for soldering and then on completion folded back- the unit is sealed around the cover & taped with a waterproof product.
In your opinion how important is it to reinstate the Conformol coating & would the attached product be ok?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10ml-conf...f/254181414540

Thanks Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 22:04   #247
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Ideally I'd think one should replace the Conformol coating but I'm no expert.

I've no experience of the product you suggest but I should think it would do the job. It may also be worth looking at RS components or Farnell since it's likely they'd do something suitable too.

I repaired my ABS module about 10 years ago and I didn't bother to replace the Conformol coating. I did remove as little of it as practical and to date I haven't had any further trouble. I suspect that if you can effectively reseal the module it may not matter too much.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:14   #248
amazondean
amazondean

I have managed to salvage my abs module by just heating up the two pins where the connector goes into and melting the solder under these pins without opening the unit. I read about this once before and it actually worked for me. A result I wasn't expecting!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:02   #249
Cookeh
Premier Member

Interesting. That is a viable method on thicker pins, but it's not often that the power supply pins go.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:06   #250
amazondean
amazondean

I had read that it is usually the power pin joints that go because when they were soldered at the factory it was these that did not get enough heat for the solder to stick properly, due to the heat going up the pins. Anyway, It worked for me.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post: