Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted.

Views : 1796

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 23:04   #1
minesa240x3
loyalty

Default Wanted.

Anyone got a cat for a 240?old and rusty will do or even blocked as I just need to get an exhaust on my project car so I can get it to run better.It hasn't got any exhaust apart from the manifold downpipe.Just moving it scares the scarecrows Lol.
Many thanks Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 23:52   #2
volvo_240

Default Cat

possibly will check and let you know!
volvo_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo_240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 11:11   #3
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Cat? Surely not.

Hi,

why do you want a cat?

Unless your car was registered after January 1992 it does not have to have a cat...I'm 99% on this.

De cat it, so to speak.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 11:23   #4
czech240
Master Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post

De cat it, so to speak.
I'm always having to do this!! One of our cats loves sitting in the car!! :-)
czech240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to czech240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 18:12   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi prufrock my 740gle estate is decated as the previous owner had a standard pipe put on but didn't have a lambda probe hence why it ran so badly when I got it,I got the local machanic to braze a threaded bit into the downtube fitted a lambda probe and all is fine.It is H reg 1/8/1990.

Now the K reg was first registered 23/4/1993,thats why I need a cat.I could take the cat off my J reg 240SE but as it is running fine I don't really want the hassle of splitting it.The J reg was first registered 17/7/1992 so ultimately needs a cat.

The K reg is my project and I hope to gradually work through it,But I can't really start it up and make it run smoothly with no exhaust.It does need a fair bit of fettling but has no rust just extremely neglected and sort of stiff.All the locks are stiff the interior needs chucking as the dog enjoyed living in it judging by the nest of dog hairs everywhere.
It's to good to let go as it ticks all my boxes.2.3L five speed manual and one of the last built.
I could spend a lot on a cat but they don't often go wrong and as 240's are always being broke I thought it worth the ask.
Regards Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antilock resized.jpg (297.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg resized 1.JPG (78.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg white volvo 012resize.jpg (241.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg white volvo 014resize.jpg (325.4 KB, 23 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 16:27   #6
tannachyallen
240SE

Before I got GSE to make my present hiflo system, I used to have the standard cat with lambda probe. When the cat died I got a garage to carfully cut with a grinder each end of the cat and open it up like a bean can. They then smashed out all the blocked ceramic and welded the casing back up so that I had a through flow exhaust with the lambda port intact. My system ran much better. 1992 and before are tested on the pre cat test.

As long as your lambda probe is before the cat it works fine.............

(hmmm, I didn't fully read the previous post!)

240 SE Auto 1991

Last edited by tannachyallen; Jan 30th, 2011 at 16:31.
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tannachyallen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 16:30   #7
tannachyallen
240SE

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by czech240 View Post
I'm always having to do this!! One of our cats loves sitting in the car!! :-)
Ha! mine hate the big metal box it means one thing only..............VET!

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tannachyallen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 19:04   #8
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi mate yes the 240SE K reg was first registered 23/4/1993,I think you read it just after posting Lol.
Given the choice I would chuck the cat but not sure if it would pass the cat test as it's quite intensive?
Thanks anyway Brian.
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 23:16   #9
gloster_man
VOC Member

Hi Brian - did you find one last year? I'm now looking for one as Old Harry, my '92 245 SE, has failed the test on emissions, something it's not done before, and pitted discs as it was standing over the winter. I took the Cat off in '07 after a malfunction when it was probably the Lambda I needed to replace (though it's interesting to see how tannachyallen sorted his problem out!) when it had been running in Limp-Home mode for ages, so - after advice here - I took the cat out and put a straight pipe in, though never got round to putting the Lambda into a threaded bit on the pipe. [I can't put the original one back on as the welder who took it off stole it.]

It's failed [though they didn't remember that the cat wasn't there] because the MOT Rfr's (Reasons for Refusal) on cats changed on 1/1/12 [along with a number of other changes]: all vehicles that had a cat fitted at manufacture now have to have one present. There are more changes coming in now in April /May, including that tow-bar electrics have to function [mine don't but aren't a failure this time].

I've been trying to get one for a while, through breakers and fleabay, and now I have to get one. There are some new not too expensive, but I'm still trying to get one s/h.

Best wishes - Dan C

Last edited by gloster_man; Apr 3rd, 2012 at 23:20.
gloster_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 23:56   #10
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Dan I never did get one,And stil want one,I see thier are some relatively cheap ones on ebay.
If your car is before cats are needed then just get a thread added for the lambda probe.I'm suprised your car runs at all without a lambda probe.It must be using an awful lot of petrol?
The poor emmisions must be attributed to the lack of signal going back to the computer.Meaning it will just burn loads of petrol and fail the emmissions.MY 740 wouldn't tick over and smelt of petrol from the exhaust all the time.
Once I noticed the lack of probe I got a local guy to weld a thread into the down pipe.Now just has a basic emmisions test.None of this variouse revving buisness.

So anyone with a spare cat please contact Dan or me whoever is closest.
Regards Brian.