Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 Auto V70 Engine Runs Like a Pile of Rocks

Views : 24534

Replies : 232

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 14:20   #11
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Sorry to disagree but the engine ECU will always start the fan when the temperature sesnor is disconnected.
The op said the problem starts when the gauge is at 3 o'clock this suggests to me the mixture is weak at full engine temperature, probably due to an induction air leak.
Fair comment. Still find it odd that the fan doesn't come on at all, but if the temp guage is sitting nicely at 3 o'clock then yes, that would seem to indicate that the temp sensor is doing its thing at least roughly right.

If it is indeed running sufficiently weak to give rough running, then there should be one or more codes thown. I'd recomment reading the code(s) to be sure.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 15:39   #12
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

The fan relay can also fail although when it goes it usually causes non start issues rather than lumpy idle.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 20:54   #13
mikealder
VOC Member

The temp gauge will read normal i.e. the 3 o'clock position from around 65 Deg C all the way up to about 115 Deg C (I have tested this using a decade resistance box inlue of the sensor and an OBD-II reader displaying the coresponding temperature the ECU is reporting) - The Temp Gauge is rather useless for anything like accurate engine temperature readings - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:36   #14
Pozzouk

Morning Guys,

Cheers for the ideas - got out to the car yesterday just in time for the first rain in weeks but managed to get the top cover off to check out the plugs - they are of the 3 electrode type as supplied by Volvo and look like due for a fresh set......are there any particular to recommend????

Noted that most of the black coiling type cable insulation has been cooked to a crisp! - not sure if this is usual but hoovered up the remains! - is the stuff available so as to replace???

And the main job of removing the ETM and cleaning seemed to go well - Yes had only previously cleaned the incoming side. Having removed the unit have to say it was filthy black and the tar like gunge took some shifting even with carb cleaner - now shining like a new pin.

Will post tonight as to progress so long as the car makes it home!?!?

I live in hope - Pozzouk.
Pozzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:52   #15
Pozzouk

While cleaning the ETM - i had a real good look for air leaks but nothing seemed obviously split worn or torn.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 08:54   #16
mikealder
VOC Member

New Plugs, get a set from Volvo as you only need to change them every 30K it's not worth messing with anything else.

The black plastic tube is slit convoluted tube, this is available from the "Bay" and doesn't cost a lot, worth doing though as it stops the wiring rubbing on the top of the engine - Mike
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 21:55   #17
Pozzouk

Angry

What a nightmare!

Set off this morning with cleaned ETM and everything back in place including the TSU connected ( by the way i have already replaced the original to no effect so don't think it likely to be the cause - although the problem certainly does seem to occur as the temperature reading approaches the 3 O'clock position.

So after four miles - 10 to 15 minutes of driving i pull up at lights - the car immediately goes into lumpy bumpy mode at idle.......I then clear the lights and off she drives perfectly 20 30 40 50 60 70mph no problem! Next roundabout awful.

A couple of miles later the gears start shifting incorrectly and half a mile later orange flashing arrow and bingo into safe mode we go.......i drove on a couple of miles pulled up attached the code reader and got P0300 (random cylinder multiple misfire - simptom the same as ever but the first time i have had that code) and P1618 (glow plug heater relay short to B+) these i cleared and i proceeded to drive on - still lumpy but at least with gears.

Two miles later i could take no more lumpy rubbish running so pulled over again and disconnected the TSU.......on came the fan as required but it made little difference as i only had a mile to travel.

I left the car all day, wondering if it would be capable of making the ten mile return trip to base camp. Upon finishing work in i get, the fan starts as expected as soon as the ignition goes on and home i went - the gearbox seemed slightly off balance to start with but got back fine.

Sorry about the essay - but that just about explains the lot - unfortunately no one including Volvo when i discussed it with two of their mechanics (while purchasing the top engine mount) seem to have a clue.

Yours - Confused.com
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 22:04   #18
mikealder
VOC Member

Check the levels in the autobox, I am not 100% sure as to the autobox fitted to the 99 XC it could be the four speed (probably) or the five speed, eitherway it will have a dipstick. Also look for water/ coolant in the oil within the autobox, if the radiator autobox cooler circuit has corroded it's not uncommon for coolant to enter the autobox oil.

The five speed auto had a feature where the box went in to neutral when you stop with the footbrake applied, a later software "update" removed this useless feature, if this is switching in and out when stationary it could cause the revs to bounce around.

(glow plug heater relay short to B+) I doubt that description is correct, if the car has an ETM then it should be petrol, only diesel engined models have glow plugs - Mike
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 23:33   #19
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

P1618 means there is a fault code stored in the transmission ECU.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 01:28   #20
Pozzouk

What a saga hey! My apologies if i'm rambling - but the thing is driving me nuts.

Definitely no water in the auto fluid changed the fluid a couple of weeks back when the box went silly, just the same as it did today so not caused by fluid change but somehow i'm sure down to some decision or another by the ECU as the engine comes up to temperature ie; 3 O'clock - hence disconnect the temp sender the fan stays on engine stays extra cool car runs almost ok.......like no lumpy running although it is still obviously not quite happy to run with the TSU disengaged...........kinda runs about 85% ok

I guess the Autel MaxiDiag is misreading the P1618 as when i cleared it the box went back to running ok-ish and seems to remain so till i reconnect the TSU and once again the engine warms up and bingo hits 3 O'clock and the whole thing seems to have a heart attack!

As for the box it's a four speed and one of the strange things is, that since it has all got really bad the fault it always had >>>wanting to buck into drive while the foot-brake was applied seems to have stopped?<<<< a fault my local Volvo garage told me was not known to them and that when they serviced it they said it was all ok........i guess they would have had to drive it to find out.

Cheers for all your advice guys.