Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'98 S70 Bizarre A/C Issue ;-0

Views : 1508

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 19:36   #11
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

A thought, are you running the fan on 'AUTO' when the system stops working?
If so, have you tried running the fan on a manual setting? does the same fault occur?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 19:54   #12
M Miller

Hi guys;

A number of recent questions have popped up in this thread so let's address as many as I can

Cabin temperature sensor - I haven't checked them but I did put an evaporator in this car and didn't see any obvious issues. I was aware at the time what the sensors were and was careful to re-connect them etc.

The settings on the control head are all set to manual for testing - the idea is to get around ECC control as much as possible.

I have thought about WOT - I realize the system will cut out at WOT. The system will operate properly in the shop at idle and also if you run the engine at 2,000 RPM while stationary.

I've been thinking about running a wire from the compressor into the interior of the vehicle to check for power to the compressor while driving - I'm dead certain we'll find it's not being told to turn on - but it would be worth a 100% conclusive answer.
M Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 20:57   #13
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Smile

You really should check for any fault codes as some will continue to give poor performance if not cancelled despite the fault being cured, however failing that you could also check out the coolant temperature sensor as if this is faulty and reads to high it will trigger an AC shut down as will exhaust temperature if too high (the ECU works out the exhaust temperature based on RPM, MAF and throttle position readings) something you won’t get in the workshop when not under load. Road speed is also considered by the ECU so don't discount the speedo. I am assuming this is a 4.4 Bosch control system although the ME7 is similar but also uses MAP sensors as well as a MAF.

Cheers
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 23:17   #14
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Question

Also, does the radiator fan come on when the AC is switched on? I believe this is supposed to happen.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 23:26   #15
M Miller

Exclamation

Engineer: I agree with your post however, we don't have a Volvo scan tool. Either way, we'll get into the midst of your post more/less as a last resort after everything else is taken care of first.

ShadeTek: The radiator fan does come on at some point during the A/C cycle - it is working as it's supposed to.
M Miller is offline   Reply With Quote