Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SC-xxx AUX INPUT HACK

Views : 83926

Replies : 301

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2010, 21:17   #21
bobbych
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsworld14 View Post
I agree. I know this has come up before but I havn't seen a definitive answer given yet, but is there a way to chop into an old CD multichanger cable and have the hack shown above, but instead of hacking into the circuitary, hack into the multichanger cable and have the phono lead coming direct from that?
The only possible issue is that with my stereo, it knows it doesn't have a multichanger pluged in, so what makes it think there is one there? It might need to be fooled into thinking it is there?!

I hope that makes sense to everyone!?!?

Niall
indeed, this is why you need to pay £70 for a blitzsafe or similar. it fools the HU into thinking you have a Changer fitted. So as it stands, you could hack the changer cable the same way, by tapping into the cable, but you would need to leave your changer connected also for it to be recognised, and allow you to select Changer from the HU

using the Tape methood is far easier, and gives the same sound quality. Lets face it, you say no one uses CD;s well thats nearly true now, but some still do, but NO ONE uses tapes, so i have no issues with disabling my deck and using it for AUX

and my music collection is at about 120GB so i could not fit it on a USB!, hence the need for the Ipod

i will be having a look at the tape deck tomorrow and trying to disable the eject and the motor. then i will stick closed the tape flap, so it becomes a tapeless HU

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
bobbych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:47   #22
bobbych
Premier Member

ok, this morning, i tried to play with the tape desk on my spare Sc800. I removed the tape deck and tried that. It allowed me to select TAPE but refused to play the external source, as it kept looking for the tape, which was not there

Second, i refitted the deck, but cut the power to the motor. This time it played the source, but only for around 1 sec at a time. This is because the motor was not spinning anymore, it could not sense any movement, so automatically every 1 sec, auto reversed to the other side.

So to solve that, it would take more invest to disable the auto reverse. coupled with the issue of disabling the eject, i gave up.

I am happy with the setup as it is. i have set my tape deck to think it has a tape installed, so my source plays fine. The motor still runs, but I can live with that, as you can;t hear it once the music is one

I have also got an emergency empty cassette case in the glovebox, so should i inadvertantly press eject, i can simply insert the blank cassette, and it will work

To my mind, it is still better than paying £70 for the Cd Changer AUX system

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 20:22   #23
BillB
VOC Member

Default Problem with LATER SCXXX

I have an SC805 which is currently apart to replace front panel bulbs and attempt this hack. However, the 805 has later edge connectors - no riser. I can't find any audio line ID on the tape deck, I really need a full schematic. Does anyone have one? I'm reluctant to guess as damage could be done. Regards.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 23:34   #24
BillB
VOC Member

Default Update for SC805

Upon closer investigation I identified a connector on one of the tape deck PCBs with R, L and ground pins identified. So I soldered leads to these. I found there was a DC level on these pins so I used two 10uF capacitors to decouple the DC - you don't really want DC introduced into the MP3 player output. It works but sound quality is poor as if there's a mismatch. I'll investigate further and post back if anyone's interested. Regards.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 23:43   #25
bobbych
Premier Member

i actually found the same issue. I tried my AUX today, but the sound was, well awful, so i have reconnected my RF connection. I would be interested to see what you come up with to fix the sound

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 18:56   #26
BillB
VOC Member

Default Problem solved for SC805

After trying various connection points I found one that works quite well. See attachment : looking on top of the tape unit front right, there are 2 lots of a 3 terminal triangular arrangement for left and right channels which connect to "pre-set pots" on the other side of the PCB. I found that soldering to the middle pin of each triangle gave good audio quality from an ipod. Sorry it's not marked - don't have a good photo editor. In the attachment you can see 2 electrolytic capacitors (10uF) although this was a previous incorrect test position. The terminal to use is the CENTRE of each triangular arrangement, if you see what I mean.

The capacitors are there to isolate the dc voltage level of the tape unit from the ipod - essential. The +ve end of the caps go to the tape player and the -ve end to the co-ax cable which is routed out through the holes in the side of the case to whatever connector you wish - I'm using a 3.5mm stereo line jack socket at present. Of course you need a dummy tape in the player and the motor runs. Hope this makes sense and is of use to others but I presume there are differences in the SC8xx variants. Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (262.5 KB, 256 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillB For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 19:26   #27
bobbych
Premier Member

thanks for that, but the 805 is different by the looks of it. this is the tape deck on the 800/801
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1764.jpg (173.9 KB, 132 views)

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 21:11   #28
BillB
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbych View Post
thanks for that, but the 805 is different by the looks of it. this is the tape deck on the 800/801
Yes, I realise it's different. You need to find two points marked L and R somewhere other than the "riser" you used. Look around the tape head - might be some markings you've missed perhaps? Regards.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 21:18   #29
bobbych
Premier Member

ok. so if i can find these 2 connections, i just need to add the two capacitors? where does the GROUND wire from each side go?

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 22:24   #30
bobbych
Premier Member

as a thought, can I not just add the capacitors to the riser board connection i already have?

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather