Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 (2017) Sensus problem - help!

Views : 824

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 15:17   #1
Malmo

Default V90 (2017) Sensus problem - help!

V90 (Dec2017)with 5 months left on manufacturers warranty. 3rd time in 6 months I've had the dealer (Waylands, Oxford) look into the Sensus blanking fault and possible associated software glitches. Each time they just update the car software and give it back. I'VE HAD ENOUGH! There is definitely a problem either with the Sensus screen/unit...their master technician alluded to this 'off the record'. So, anyone out there had any of the following:

1. Blanking Sensus display (ie. black screen) whilst driving along with the screen face being too hot to touch! This can occur up to 3 or 4 times in an hour's journey. Its occurrence appears to be random and not associated with any particular command or demand being made on the Sensus system by the driver. If on a phone call at the same time there is a distractingly loud high pitched noise that can only be silenced with the master volume switch under the Sensus display unit.
2. Volvo onboard SatNav stops providing audio commands when on a phone call, either when you make or receive a call...no difference. I've tested both Android and Apple devices connected via Android Auto or Car Play and also when not connected via a cable ie. just via a bluetooth connection...the fault persists despite the connection or phone type. At the same time as all this is going on there is a persistant "hi/lo" chime tone over the car speakers.
3. When driving using Google Maps as a satnav the same fault as in 2. occurs.

I believe all 3 faults are somehow connected.

As the dealer is brushing me off with this and I (and the master tech!) feel a Sensus change is required then anyone have any experience as to the best way for the correct pressure to be applied by me to have the dealer change the Sensus system or do I approach Volvo UK direct?

Any help appreciated, thanks everyone.

Last edited by Malmo; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 15:20.
Malmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 15:54   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

Def. not a common occurence- I’d say you have a hardware problem, rather than “software glitching”.. From what you described the unit overheats and crushes.. I would insist on them resolving a problem or replacing the unit- before your warranty expires. Good luck.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 16:44   #3
techwatcher
Master Member

Three dealer visits for the same fault is two too many.

I would speak to the Service Manager, explain that the vehicle has been in three times for the same fault and ask how they plan to resolve the problem given that
multiple software updates have not resolved it.

Last edited by techwatcher; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 18:29.
techwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techwatcher For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 18:12   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Contact Volvo customer services ASAP and explain the problem to them, tell them how many times you have had it in the dealership and that you expect it to be resolved while still under warranty. be polite but firm.
They will contact your dealership direct and they in turn will contact you and arrange a time to go back for further investigation and hopefully repair, they may have further technical assistance from Volvo. The screen getting hot is not a good sign.

Volvo customer services are usually very quick getting on to the dealership to resolve problems.
I have done this twice and found that it gets things moving.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 18:14.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 23:02   #5
Davebbass

Get onto customer services. I had an issue with the Sensus in mine where it would drop bluetooth calls for fun, more so when personal hotspot was on. It took several attempts for the dealer to find (and not fix) the issue, and it was only when I involved VUK that things started moving, albeit slowly.

In the end, I had a suitable replacement courtesy car for a week and a half and they ended up having the Sensus system completely replaced. I can't remember the exact cost if it was out of warranty, but it was eye watering. £2400 + VAT just for the part rings a bell though!
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 16:36   #6
Malmo

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Firm pressure applied to the dealer's service manager and they have ordered a new Sensus unit to be fitted next week under warranty . I will keep this thread alive and report for the benefit of others whether this solves our problem. As mentioned the dealer's master technician suggested there were known issues with some Sensus systems around the 2017/18 vintage so I hope a new unit solves everything.
Malmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Malmo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 18:46   #7
Fursty Ferret

2 (and 3):

This is normal. The chime is to alert you to an upcoming turn/instruction, but without interrupting your conversation.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 20:06   #8
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo View Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Firm pressure applied to the dealer's service manager and they have ordered a new Sensus unit to be fitted next week under warranty . I will keep this thread alive and report for the benefit of others whether this solves our problem. As mentioned the dealer's master technician suggested there were known issues with some Sensus systems around the 2017/18 vintage so I hope a new unit solves everything.

Good luck 👍🙂