Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door protector strip-removal

Views : 1494

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 23:16   #11
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Should pop out. Its stuck to a plastic shroud, that clicks in to the motor.

I think the back of the mirror housing (That your looking to paint) is easier to come off tho.... just the usual plastic clips that you massage to unclip.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 15:39   #12
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
Thanks.
How easy does the glass come out?
From memory you angle the mirror all the way out and then there is a clip that you flick either towards or away from the car and this unclips the mirror glass, it is then just a case of unplugging the 2 wires for the heater element and the glass is removed.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 21:29   #13
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
Should pop out. Its stuck to a plastic shroud, that clicks in to the motor.

I think the back of the mirror housing (That your looking to paint) is easier to come off tho.... just the usual plastic clips that you massage to unclip.
Tried to unclip the cover. Nearly broke it, so gave up!
Don't know whether to mask it in place or remove the mirrors.....job for another day! (After my hols!)
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 08:22   #14
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, a word of warning here. Mine is a my 2003 in fact same coluur as yours. When I purchased it two years ago, one of the known problems was a broken n/s wing mirror. The glass was missing.

When I tried to fix, I discovered that the cradle that supports the mirror, sits in a plastic socket set into the mirror motor housing. There are two pins, one at the side and one I think at the top or bottom. Motors pull these pins in and out to tilt the mirror and it rocks on a plastic ball in the cradle, set in the plastic socket set into the motor. The 'lips' on this socket break, probably in my case because they became brittle with age.

So I suggest be warned that you could damage this socket on the motor, or the clips that retain the mirror.

I personally would mask the mirror, but with good quality masking tape that does not adhere too well and be gentle with the mirror.

In my case I replaced the whole assembly, case motor and all. If I remember was pretty easy to remove, but yours could easily be removed to spray off the car also. The tricky bit is removing the little triangular tweeter speaker cover which has small pins on it that can break. The door card just pops off and there are two plugs and sockets to remove. A long 10mm socket is also required.

I hope this helps
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 01:29   #15
CrossContinent

Any guidance you can share on how the door protector strip was removed? Is this the same part for all Gen 1? Thank you.
CrossContinent is offline   Reply With Quote