Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealer's new service plan

Views : 960

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 18:07   #1
scbamber

Default Dealer's new service plan

Hello All

I would welcome your thoughts on the following...

My MY14 V60 D4 SE manual (only 45k miles) has just had the last service of its 5-year Volvo service plan which I took out with the official Volvo dealer when I bought the car new. The last service included the routine replacement of the auxiliary belt and tensioner. The EGR change and hosing was done as a recall before trouble arose, and the manifold upgrade is being done next week.

The car is fine, the dealer has always been helpful, and at £500 the last plan has been a bargain. The risk of suffering the known and significant engine problems in the future (eg an EGR problem despite the redesign; suddenly deciding to burn oil big time....both recognised problems) is low to any individual car but potentially very expensive, and Volvo may be less inclined to help out on an older car, though one could argue that the goodwill payments they have already made to owners with such failures recognise a design fault. I plan to keep the car.

So....the dealer is offering a new plan, this time for 3 years, with payments taken monthly. The plan is transferable to another car if mine is sold or written off. The plan includes annual service and wash, software upgrades, MOT, car loan, and of course Volvo Assistance for the duration.

Basically it's peace of mind and Volvo standards v independent charges and maybe different standards. What would you think is reasonable to pay?

Thanks
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 18:14   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I think most dealers are doing this - essentially it's todays cost of next 3 year services which you then pay monthly. The benefit is you don't have any service price increase to bear, but the dealer has your money in the meantime.

It's nothing like the fantastic 5 year plan from new!

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...-service-plans
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 20:14   #3
TeamG
Master Member

I just enquired about a service plan for my MY2017 XC60 D4. F*ck me, £3282.09. I do 7k miles/yr.

I’ll continue servicing myself as I have done for the past 27 years. Less than 100 quid all in incl. MOT.
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 10:51   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
I just enquired about a service plan for my MY2017 XC60 D4. F*ck me, £3282.09. I do 7k miles/yr.

I’ll continue servicing myself as I have done for the past 27 years. Less than 100 quid all in incl. MOT.
this plan is not about saving money , it just spreads the cost over time rather than have big bills all in one go .. you can have a refund at any time with no loss so nothing to loose if you can manage the payments ...
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 11:12   #5
scbamber

Default Latest update

Latest update: the dealer's 3-year plan will cost £1080 in total and is fixed, whatever price increase may happen in the future.

With the next three services alone costing £440, £265 and £440 respectively at current prices on their website, it seems a bargain to pay monthly for fixed prices in the plan which also includes MOTs, courtesy car, and Volvo Assistance. What could possibly go wrong!!
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 08:31   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post
Latest update: the dealer's 3-year plan will cost £1080 in total and is fixed, whatever price increase may happen in the future.

With the next three services alone costing £440, £265 and £440 respectively at current prices on their website, it seems a bargain to pay monthly for fixed prices in the plan which also includes MOTs, courtesy car, and Volvo Assistance. What could possibly go wrong!!
Is the plan with the dealer or volvo?
If the dealer, what happens if the dealer cease trading to any surplus in your account.

Instead of taking the dealers offer why not pay the same amount into an ISA or other tax free saving account with instant access. You will then have the money to pay the bills as they arise and if sencable a bit more savings for rainy days. Even your big bills is covered by £10 a week, £40 a month and gives a bit of spare cash for tyres etc.

Money in my account is always prefferable to my money in someone else's account.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 09:01   #7
Otl1uk

I did a service plan with a renowned Vauxhall dealer in Halifax, week before my service was due, they went bust and I lost £180, could not claim it back.Emac was the service provider and didn't have the money, they said claim it back through the receivers, three years down the line there is no money left for the small debts.
Otl1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otl1uk For This Useful Post: