Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I've joined the club.

Views : 991

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2014, 22:27   #1
Ozpass

Default I've joined the club.

Well after looking around a few motors, I've bought myself a V70 D3 R-Design!

Very happy with the price I paid (dealer ruefully showed me paperwork indicating he was making a £590 loss on the vehicle) although the amber "engine system service required" message popped up on the way home - sod's law!!

Not too perturbed as there's no perceptible issue with the engine (goes like stink) and the car's immaculate. It's going to be booked into Harratt's Wakefield* ASAP to have its major service (72k, inc. aux belt and tensioner) so they can read the codes and fathom what it's whinging about.

*Based on feedback in my other thread I decided to give Hudds a wide berth!

Here are some pictures of the car once I got it home. Will give it a thorough clean and wax tomorrow, but it doesn't look too shabby. Rear seats have seemingly never been sat in, even the boot is pristine.

P.S. The towbar is going if anybody has a good home for it?
Ozpass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozpass For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 22:33   #2
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Looks great mate, very clean,
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 22:39   #3
I-S
Premier Member

Congratulations, lovely looking car.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 07:37   #4
I-S
Premier Member

I think that this definitely needs to be deoranged... http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1464171
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 07:43   #5
I-S
Premier Member

Couple of other points...

Engine system service required straight after a non volvo dealer serviced the car is indicative that they put too much oil in - these cars must only be filled to 3/4 on the dipstick.

Rear parking sensors are not original - third party add on. This is the same car you linked before? I remember commenting on the heated seats...
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 08:00   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yup, Engine System Service Light is most likely due to overfilled engine oil.

Lovely looking motor. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh some day.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 09:31   #7
Ozpass

Thanks for the replies all!

The clear indicators do look nice - are they expensive? The car I ended up buying was the first I viewed, with pics in the other thread. Others I went to see included an SE Lux, an XC70 and a 2.0D - I preferred the D3 R-Design! Had a play with one featuring pop-up sat-nav and found it pretty archaic, so decided to do without. For the price I paid for this one I can afford a full service including aux belt and tensioner, a year's aftermarket warranty and 12 months insurance and tax for the same price as the cheapest of the others!

The rear parking sensors are definitely aftermarket, you're right, but work a treat.

Good to hear about the likelihood of oil over-fill. I'll check this later although my steep drive causes whacky readings so I'll need to find somewhere flat.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 10:57   #8
younger06
Volvo Newbie

That's a fantastic looking car,well done and welcome to the forum. Keep us updated on the engine warning light.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 17:24   #9
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpass View Post
The clear indicators do look nice - are they expensive?
Nope:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-Diad...3D301211026385

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-DIAD...3D301211026385

Don't be tempted to buy cheaper chromed bulbs - Osram or Philips ones are better.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 20:17   #10
Ozpass

Got the car serviced today, and the engine light was an oil over-fill as suggested. Hoorah!

Got the full 72k service (every filter under the sun) and requested the aux belt and tensioner be done at the same time for peace of mind. The computer was claiming that it didn't need doing until 108k along with the cambelt, but I'll be a lot happier driving it knowing that the work is done.

So I just need some decent tyres on the beast and it should be good for lots of trouble-free driving. I really like the driving experience - the D3 engine is so smooth, with a quite melliflous tone between 2-3000 rpm. If you didn't know better it would almost pass for a petrol engine. With lots of mixed driving and a trip to Hull and back it's already averaged 39.2mpg (indicated) which I think is great for a big car like this. Whilst it's no rocketship, the in-gear acceleration 30-60mph (a Swedish strength) is exceptional.

My Volvo ownership experience to date has been all positive, and I rate the cabin build quality as better than recent Mercedes I've driven. I'd say the build quality is on a par with my old 53 plate S320 CDi....