Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 Daytime Running Lights Problem

Views : 3200

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2014, 01:06   #1
whistlebird7

Default S60 Daytime Running Lights Problem

I am a first time owner and driver of a 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T.

I am enjoying the car but am very confused about Volvo's Daytime Running Lights option.

Whenever the the lighting control dial is set to 0,and the ignition is turned on, the green LED for the Parking Lights is on, the headlights turn on, and the red tail lights are on. The same applies when the dial is turned to the 12 o clock position. Thus it makes no difference where I put the dial, the headlights and tail lights come on. The brightness of the headlights appear to be the same no matter what position I put that dial.

When the ignition is off, all the lights turn off.

My Volvo dealer, and a few others tell me that this is normal but I keep thinking there is a short somewhere.

I have owned American and Japanese cars, and with them, daytime running lights meant only the headlights come on at ignition but at a lower beam than usual, no tail lights. Some cars had a sensor that automatically turned on the lights at standard beam at dusk.

Could someone kindly clarify what my car should be doing. This is becoming very frustrating. Thanks.

Last edited by whistlebird7; May 26th, 2014 at 01:20.
whistlebird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:04   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The UK did not implement the dim dip option of DRL that was adopted by many other countries and instead decided to have full dipped beam. Most manufacturers kept the same switches as used in the rest of the world resulting in two positions that function exactly the same. Volvo have also always put the rear lights on, counting them, very sensibly, as DRL also.

As you can see, what the dealer says is correct - unusual, but correct in this case
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:46   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You car is working exactly as designed (see the manual for full details: http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owners..._EN_tp7505.pdf). You can get the dealer to reprogramme it so the dipped beam is not on by default.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 11:09   #4
Bill_56
Premier Member

With your S60, the main difference between the 'off' (DRL) setting and 'on' (headlights) is behaviour of the main beam stalk.

In DRL, the main beam remains on for only as long as you hold the stalk . For headlamps it is a toggle, flick for main beam which stays on til you flick again to extinquish.

Momentary 'Flashing' main beam in the 'headlamps' position is a bit tricky, but can be achieved by just gently pulling the stalk til a notch is felt, then releasing it.

The middle position is parking lights, which stay on after you leave the car but beware, there is no warning buzzer...

Considering the facts the flasher stalk is so weird and inconsistent, and that the switch markings are just plain wrong, one could possible surmise that the switchgear was designed by a person who was unaware of Volvo's passion for always-on headlamps... but you get used to it.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 17:56   #5
whistlebird7

Thanks for the clarification.

My question now is would you have the dealer turn off DRL via software which would probably cost over $100 to do, or would you leave DRL on the way it is?

The dealer service advisor told me that rear bulbs are easy to replace but headlights are a different story, and now that I said that, what about dash illumination bulbs.

How often do these bulbs last, and how expensive are they? Am i going to be replacing bulbs every month?

What would you do?
whistlebird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 18:16   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

In almost 20 years of Volvos I have only ever changed one side marker bulb - how's that for reliability
Old May 26th, 2014, 20:57   #7
Bill_56
Premier Member

S60 Headlamp bulbs are indeed a PITA to replace, there is really no chance at all of being able to change by the roadside on a dark night. Some variants are worse than others, depending upon positioning of air cleaner and other components. And being 'always on' can take its toll on bulb longevity.

Fortunately there is a solution, which is to ensure you always replace with 'long life' bulbs. I've been using Osram Ultralife for 3 or 4 years now and have yet to lose one. I think Volvo do a long-life bulb.

Avoid at all costs the 'high output' bulbs. They make hardly any discernable improvement to visibility IMHO and, in my experience ( Phillips bulbs I think), none lasted more than about a year in the Volvo.
Old May 26th, 2014, 21:06   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlebird7 View Post
I am a first time owner and driver of a 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T.

I am enjoying the car but am very confused about Volvo's Daytime Running Lights option.

Whenever the the lighting control dial is set to 0,and the ignition is turned on, the green LED for the Parking Lights is on, the headlights turn on, and the red tail lights are on. The same applies when the dial is turned to the 12 o clock position. Thus it makes no difference where I put the dial, the headlights and tail lights come on. The brightness of the headlights appear to be the same no matter what position I put that dial.

When the ignition is off, all the lights turn off.

My Volvo dealer, and a few others tell me that this is normal but I keep thinking there is a short somewhere.

I have owned American and Japanese cars, and with them, daytime running lights meant only the headlights come on at ignition but at a lower beam than usual, no tail lights. Some cars had a sensor that automatically turned on the lights at standard beam at dusk.

Could someone kindly clarify what my car should be doing. This is becoming very frustrating. Thanks.
This is wrong , in the 12 o clock Vertical position you should just have front and rear parking lights and no headlamps . Someone has incorrectly programmed them , there are 3 different options to choose from but it will need a software download to put right .
Old May 26th, 2014, 21:10   #9
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This is wrong , in the 12 o clock Vertical position you should just have front and rear parking lights and no headlamps . Someone has incorrectly programmed them , there are 3 different options to choose from but it will need a software download to put right .
Good point, which I think the rest of us missed!
Old May 26th, 2014, 21:14   #10
Coventry
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Are you sure? In our S60 the 12 o'clock position is for dipped beam, so the dipped beam bulbs light up like they should.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote