Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 V70 D5 Active Suspension

Views : 1713

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2021, 06:48   #11
eternal optimist
Master Member

You look for the button.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 11:07   #12
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Monroe do seem to list electronically controlled shocks for the XC70 MkII which I assume is the P3 model. I think in the interest of saving 50% of the Volvo price on a Monroe unit it would be worth contacting Monroe and just asking them the question.

Sadly the internet contains all manner of inaccuracies, lies, half truths and deceptions and the substance of these are disseminated globally at very high speeds, so my information may be wrong but then again so might the non availability theory.
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 11:46   #13
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Monroe do seem to list electronically controlled shocks for the XC70 MkII which I assume is the P3 model. I think in the interest of saving 50% of the Volvo price on a Monroe unit it would be worth contacting Monroe and just asking them the question.

Sadly the internet contains all manner of inaccuracies, lies, half truths and deceptions and the substance of these are disseminated globally at very high speeds, so my information may be wrong but then again so might the non availability theory.
I'd be cautious about that - the P80 V70 XC is sometimes described as the mk 1 XC70.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 00:05   #14
RogerTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Are they not the same as the V70 ones? (which are now available on the aftermarket)
I guess not. Higher ride height?
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 20:29   #15
Turbodave
VOC Member

I would actively avoid 4C equipped cars and did...

I had a P2 V70R that was just nasty to drive on our standard issue, broken surface and potholed roads and having replaced almost everything, took a deep breath and replaced the four shocks - Monroe, £600 for the set having been very very patient on eBay but that was a couple of years back.

Once replaced, it was better but still woeful on anything but billiard table spec road surfaces and even in comfort mode it really was a chore...the only time I liked the system was in advance on a sprint day where it did help stop the car diving and rolling under extreme loads. But it was still terrible.

I then bought a P3 XCX70 with 4C and in comfort it again just didn't feel composed... sport and advanced just seemed utterly pointless and made it even more jiggly and nervous and then you had 1.8 tons of car on 65 profile tyres, desperately trying to counteract body roll at 60mph whilst the laws of physics battled hard to put you into a ditch... and if you happened to find crappy tarmac during this, you'd be glad that you had many many airbags to save you.

I debated replacing it all but as above, got a huge quote via Volvo and found Monroe stuff hard to source so I got rid of the car instead. I've since bought another, same car, same engine etc but with standard suspension (recently replaced) and it's like a different machine - it's far far more compliant and composed and yes, it does lean a bit more but that's a rather handy way of knowing you're pushing a bit too hard. I almost "get it" in something like a S60R or V70R but in an XC70, I just think it's a waste of time and money.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 22:01   #16
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTo View Post
I guess not. Higher ride height?
The rears are the same, this is the link to the Monroe e-catalogue listing, if you scroll to the bottom to "vehicle linkage" click on "Volvo" and all the applicable vehicles are listed in a separate window (scroll down past V70's to see XC70's). I presume the fronts are the same too. Monroe are the OE manufacturer, so this will be accurate...

https://web.tecalliance.net/tae/en/p...:AT;groups:854
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 19:16   #17
RogerTo

It’s moot for me as mine have just been replaced, but following your link, ferg55, takes one to various models but not my specific model - 2008 D5 185 bhp (D5244 T4 I think...)

And as for the pros and cons of 4C, it suits my driving, comfort on most roads, but Sport worked well on the A9 north of Tain, a road which induced vomiting in most of my kids, but Sport kept things much more composed.

Maybe I’m getting old. It’s nothing like my old mini.
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 11:45   #18
Tatsfield
Premier Member

For 15 years before I bought my XC70 I ran Peugeot 406 V6 Coupes which, being designed for the French market, had compliant suspension but being designed and manufactured by Pininfarina in Italy also had great handling and feel from the road. When eventually my circumstances changed and I needed a grandchild transporter and load carrier, I test drove an XC70 with 4C suspension. I found that for a big heavy car it performed exceptionally well and wasn't a disappointment after the 2+2 touring coupes. I also found that in the 4C "Advanced" setting the feel from the road and the handling were very similar to its sportier predecessors. I drive the car mainly in "Advanced" setting but do use the softer settings over rough ground and badly paved surfaces. I have been pleasantly surprised how accomplished the car is and no small part of that is down to the 4C suspension system. I don't tow anything and so I have no need for the Nivomat system nor do I need to make comparisons between the two suspension systems. But I do know that the XC70 with 4C suits my use of the car and, while all cars are subject to compromise, my car's compromises seem to mirror what I need in a car. I only hope I'll still feel the same when the 4C shocks begin to wear out as they eventually must!
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 12:01   #19
PEGE63
Master Member

Have 133k on my 08 with 4C and only issue was to replace the levelling sensors in 2 corners at about 125k, think they cost 130ea.

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote