Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30/S40/V50 T5 wanted

Views : 1628

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2023, 11:03   #1
IanE

Default C30/S40/V50 T5 wanted

I am looking for a C30/S40/V50 T5 to replace my C30 T5 which has unfortunately been written off after the catalytic converter was stolen.

I would prefer an automatic, but I would also consider a manual one if it is a good car. I would also consider a 2.4 petrol, but I've not driven one before so I'm not sure whether it would suit me or not. I live in the ULEZ zone, so it has to be petrol and not diesel.

I'd be very interested if someone has anything that meets the above criteria that they are considering selling.
IanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 13:59   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanE View Post
I am looking for a C30/S40/V50 T5 to replace my C30 T5 which has unfortunately been written off after the catalytic converter was stolen.

I would prefer an automatic, but I would also consider a manual one if it is a good car. I would also consider a 2.4 petrol, but I've not driven one before so I'm not sure whether it would suit me or not. I live in the ULEZ zone, so it has to be petrol and not diesel.

I'd be very interested if someone has anything that meets the above criteria that they are considering selling.
Have you seen that V50T5 for sale that is in "for sale" section?
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 14:21   #3
IanE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Have you seen that V50T5 for sale that is in "for sale" section?
Thanks, I did see that one that was for sale.

It looks nice but I think that it needs some work and I am not very handy so I would have to pay someone to do the work for me. However if I don't see anything else suitable then I might consider it.
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 14:48   #4
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Thanks, I did see that one that was for sale.

It looks nice but I think that it needs some work and I am not very handy so I would have to pay someone to do the work for me. However if I don't see anything else suitable then I might consider it.
Gotcha, just not sure how is C30 market but in S/V ads about T5's are pretty rare so wouldnt count on too many options to choose from. Good luck with hunt anyway!
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 15:16   #5
IanE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Gotcha, just not sure how is C30 market but in S/V ads about T5's are pretty rare so wouldnt count on too many options to choose from. Good luck with hunt anyway!
Thanks, there don't seem to be many C30 T5s around. In fact, there are even less around since mine was written off, I'm still really gutted about it.
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 15:36   #6
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh this is a hard one, these are old cars now so if they do crop up, its difficult to be picky on the spec you want as well.

There is a C30 T5 up on ebay but at a crazy price tag and I feel like these car prices are getting silly. If you are after that 2.5, I would look at ST225s. More of them around, better price and options.

Could you not buy your C30 T5 back, and get the cat replaced with an OEM one? A garage should be able to do that.

Usually people with these cars replace the whole exhaust system or run a decat anyway.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 16:07   #7
IanE

The prices do seem to be rising for the C30s T5.

After the catalytic converter was stolen my original plan was to get it replaced, but I took it to my local garage and they said that where the cat had been cut out I'd have to get a whole new exhaust system, which was very expensive. That's why I went through my insurance company and I was hoping that they would get it repaired. I know that there might have been a way around it, but I didn't fancy the risk, the insurance company took a while to get it sorted out and during that time the MoT had run out, so it complicated things more.

I was hoping that someone would be thinking about selling their C30/S40/V50 T5 for a sensible price and contact me, but we will see.
Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 09:40   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
The prices do seem to be rising for the C30s T5.

After the catalytic converter was stolen my original plan was to get it replaced, but I took it to my local garage and they said that where the cat had been cut out I'd have to get a whole new exhaust system, which was very expensive. That's why I went through my insurance company and I was hoping that they would get it repaired. I know that there might have been a way around it, but I didn't fancy the risk, the insurance company took a while to get it sorted out and during that time the MoT had run out, so it complicated things more.

I was hoping that someone would be thinking about selling their C30/S40/V50 T5 for a sensible price and contact me, but we will see.

Ah yes the full exhaust issue replacement, if you are replacing the current OEM system like for like, yes this will be incredibly expensive. Most that need a full exhaust system change on their car will head toward the custom performance exhaust route, where you can pick up a cat back system from £300 and up (You can then pick and choose between custom and ST exhausts etc)

I duno if the above helps at all.

One thing that is worth a look, is on the Facebook market place. Ive just seen a couple of C30 T5's there at a better price, but its definitely worth keeping an eye there and also joining the C30 / S40 / V50 T5 groups etc as cars for sale from members, tend to go on sale there first before anywhere.

Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 19:12   #9
IanE

Thanks for the info, it was just too much hassle and risk in the end to get a new exhaust system for it and I have already agreed the valuation from the insurance company.

I'd like another T5 but my plan B is a 2.4 instead if no decent T5s turn up. Well, I'll test drive one to see what I think of the 2.4 anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to IanE For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 14:37   #10
domhart10
Volvo S40

Here is one that has appeared on the forums.

Looks in great condition, price is quite steep in my opinion but looks like a great example.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...10#post2882910