Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 C70 Soft top not working

Views : 20154

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:00   #1
SimonSNJ

Default 2001 C70 Soft top not working

Just got myself a C70 convertible, and the top will not go down, previous owner says it was working, then just one day decided it doesn't want to work, nothing happens when you press the button, light did not come on.
There was a gap between the rear of the hood, and the hood compartment lid, managed to close this gap by winding the motor in the left side of the boot, now when you press this switch it flashes, and also when you drive off the switch starts flashing and you get the warning bleeps, did not do this before I wound the rear of the top right down.

Any common failures on these that I need to be looking for first?

Also does anyone know of a download for the repair manual for this? - I have the wiring manual off Mathews Volvo site, which is very useful, the only thing it is lacking is the full component list, showing which motor does what.(The component list only goes up to 6/25, the hood motors are from 6/106 to 6/112.) If anyone has the full component list I would appreciate a copy!

Thanks for any help
SimonSNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SimonSNJ For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2012, 16:43   #2
rick5457

I have a similar issue with the top. Mine actually worked for a while until I adjusted one of the "release" "tabs" which protrude into the compartment lid because it wouldn't release consistently. Ever since then I have had issues where the lid won't open up. I can get the chime and flashing light to go away though. I'm still trying to determine how all this works and in what sequence.
rick5457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 17:06   #3
rallysteve
Master Member

Is the boot definately closed as the top will not operate if it thinks the boot is open. I believe it also has something to do with the handbrake switch
Steve

1991 205 GTi Road Car
rallysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 17:10   #4
rallysteve
Master Member

If it helps, according to VADIS:

System description, convertible top sequence

The function of the convertible top control module
The convertible top control module checks the function of the convertible top. The control module uses signals from the potentiometers, micro-switches and other input signals, such as those from the convertible top control switch, the handbrake, vehicle speed and boot lid status (closed). When the convertible top is operated, the convertible top control module disengages the AUTO MODE for the air conditioning (A/C) system, heated rear windscreen and boot lid. The convertible top control module also transmits a signal to the audio equipment indicating that the convertible top is open.

Conditions
The convertible top may only be operated when:
-the car is on a level surface
-the engine is running
-the handbrake is applied
-the gear shift selector is in position P (automatic transmissions) or N (manual transmissions)
-vehicle speed is less than 4 km/h
-the boot lid is closed.

Convertible top opening, step by step

Step 1
-The convertible top control switch on the dashboard is held in, the LED lights
-The rear latch releases the tension bow whilst the striker plate remains in the catch position
-The window control unit lowers the side windows approximately 5 cm
-The ECC function (AUTO) is switched off
-The boot lid is electronically inhibited
-The electrical heated rear windscreen is disengaged.

Step 2
-The rear latches are raised to the catch position
-The signal from the micro-switch for the rear locking (left and right) switches to low (OFF)
-The tension bow is deployed to its maximum position. When the micro-switch is activated, step 3 can take place.

Step 3
-The cover plate lock is unlocked.

Step 4
-The rear latch raises the cover to its maximum position. The cover is fully open
-The front lock is unlocked and the front edge of the convertible top is raised at the same time as the cover moves upwards.

Step 5
-The convertible top is lowered into the storage space (the convertible top is in the maximum position).

Step 6
-The cover retracts
-The rear latch continues to move downwards to its storage position, so that it holds the convertible top in position when the car is being driven
Note! As this step is completed, the rear latch reaches its lower calibrated position

Step 7
-The cover is locked.

Step 8
-The ECC regains its functionality, switching to manual position
-The boot lid lock is operational again (remote control of the boot lid)
-The heated rear windscreen remains switched off.

Step 9
-The four side windows begin to raise
-1.5 s after the side windows start to raise, there is an audible signal indicating that the operation is complete
-The LED on the convertible top control switch goes out
-The convertible top control switch on the dashboard is released.

1991 205 GTi Road Car
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rallysteve For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2012, 19:14   #5
SimonSNJ

Thanks for that steve, have you got the same info for the close sequence?

Managed to get the roof open manually, by fidling with the two motors accesible at the back, and found the problem, or one of them at least. The microswitches on the cover struts have both broken off, and someone has attempted unsucessfully to glue them back in place
(Moral, never buy a car with a half empty tube of araldite in the back!).
I managed to get the switches back in place, temporarily held with cable ties, but the roof still doesn't work, I'm pretty sure that the switches are working properly now, I have removed the trim pieces round the rear roof latches and the latches now operate the switches when they close.

Is it neccesary to reset the roof module after a fault like this?
If so, is it a dealer only job to do this?

I will be buying new switches if I can get the roof to work properly, to make a permanent repair, but dont want to chuck any money at it if the whole roof mech is fubar!

Thanks again for any help
Old May 2nd, 2012, 19:33   #6
rallysteve
Master Member

Convertible top closing, step by step

Conditions
The convertible top may only be operated when:
-the car is on a level surface
-the engine is running
-the handbrake is applied
-the gear shift selector is in position P (automatic transmissions) or N (manual transmissions)
-vehicle speed is less than 4 km/h
-the boot lid is closed.

Step 1
-The convertible top control switch on the dashboard is held in, the LED lights
-The cover plate lock is unlocked
-The boot lid lock is electronically inhibited
-The window control unit lowers the side windows approximately 5 cm.

Step 2
-The cover is raised to the maximum position.

Step 3
-The convertible top is raised to the minimum position
Note! At the same time, the motor for the tension bow is activated if the signal from the micro-switch for the tension bow is low (OFF)

Step 4
-The cover retracts at the same time as the front edge of the convertible top is lowered to the closed position and locked
-The rear latch stops in the catch position.

Step 5
-The cover is locked.

Step 6
-The tension bow is lowered to the catch position for the rear latches
Note! The striker plates for the tension bow activate the micro-switches and the rear latches continue the movement

Step 7
-The tension bow is stretched by the rear latches to the minimum position of the latches.

Step 8
-An audible signal confirms that the closing operation is complete
-The ECC has full (AUTO) functionality again
-The boot lid lock functions again
-The heated rear windscreen functions again.

Step 9
-The four side windows are raised fully
-1.5 s after the side windows start to raise, there is an audible signal indicating that the operation is complete
-The LED on the convertible top control switch goes out
-The convertible top control switch on the dashboard is released.

1991 205 GTi Road Car
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rallysteve For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2012, 22:35   #7
M D E
Master Member

I had the flashing light on mine after I changed the rocker switch cap itself (mine had worn quite badly), after fitting the new one it kept flashing at me...now I have to operate the roof by removing the switch cover itself and sliding the internal switch up and down with a pen.... may have to replace the switch itself ....
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 23:05   #8
SimonSNJ

Not the switch on mine unfortunately, have checked it with a power probe, and both contacts are working fine, wish it was that simple!!

Have read somewhere on these forums that disconnecting the battery for a while will allow the module to reset, but have also read that if it is disconnected then it looses calibration! Any guesses anyone!
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 14:16   #9
oldnasher

Having spent a fortune on new motors and relays my hood has now once again decided that after a year working it wants a rest.
Does any one have knowledge of two in-line fuses which are supposed to live under the dash, up beyond the drivers foot-well??
These, if they exist, are the only things left to check on the non-function of the roof. Interestingly, reading in the other replies, the battery was removed from the car and re-charged very recently, so things may have gone out of sinc since then.
All help gratefully received.
oldnasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 14:25   #10
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

The rear microswitchs seem to be quite a popular item on these. I have just repair one with the same symptoms as described in post no1.

After quite a bit of head scratching I figured out the 2 switches in which the rear latches go into had pieces broken off them. £94 each for 2 new switches and working good as new.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible roof sequence