Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Frozen Washer reservoir??

Views : 2273

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 12:19   #1
carlh

Default Frozen Washer reservoir??

Hi,

Real newbie - only bought my XC60 yesterday (D5 AWD SE Premium Lux). Have been rushing to read manual and look at posts on the forum.

I don't know if I have heated nozzles (have heated seats!). So not sure whether someone can help. It was -3 degrees and on the trip home the washer fluid was working, then stopped at the front first, then the back after 3 more squirts. I got no low fluid warning (is there an indicator?). I filled the reservoir this morning with 75% mix (didn't need much, so had plenty of fluid in it already). Sprayed the nozzles with de-icer.

It is -4 degrees here today - still not working - is it likely that the actual reservoir is frozen (i.e the garage may have not put in a strong mix).

Will try to read about fuses, etc - but anyone have good advice on how to check what may be wrong (ie. is the reservoir frozen, or is it electrical?)

Thank you so much.
carlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 13:07   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlh View Post
Hi,

Real newbie - only bought my XC60 yesterday (D5 AWD SE Premium Lux). Have been rushing to read manual and look at posts on the forum.

I don't know if I have heated nozzles (have heated seats!). So not sure whether someone can help. It was -3 degrees and on the trip home the washer fluid was working, then stopped at the front first, then the back after 3 more squirts. I got no low fluid warning (is there an indicator?). I filled the reservoir this morning with 75% mix (didn't need much, so had plenty of fluid in it already). Sprayed the nozzles with de-icer.

It is -4 degrees here today - still not working - is it likely that the actual reservoir is frozen (i.e the garage may have not put in a strong mix).

Will try to read about fuses, etc - but anyone have good advice on how to check what may be wrong (ie. is the reservoir frozen, or is it electrical?)

Thank you so much.
I suggest it is simply down to the fluid in the lines freezing as the dealer has not put the correct type of washer in the reservoir. I was caught by this a couple of years ago when we had -10+ for a few days and the fluid simply couldn't stay liquid.

The heated jets are obvious as you will see a thawed patch around the jets a period, but the lines are not warmed, therefore you can have nice clear jets but sill nothing coming out as the line is frozen. It is highly unlikely that the reservoir is frozen due to the position and the amount it holds - about 5 ltrs

It cured itself as the temperature warmed up

Welcome to your new car, you will enjoy it!
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 13:15   #3
carlh

Hi thanks for the quick response.

I liked my V50 ... but I love my XC60 (after only 3 hours in it) - what a drive. Already suffered a "blocked" Blis camera on one side - the flashing very annoying, so turned off. Shame I didn't have a passenger to clean it!!

Well it's gonna be very cold for the next few days so will just have to take a big bottle of squeezy fluid with me and stick it out the window now and again!
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 14:23   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi thanks for the quick response.

I liked my V50 ... but I love my XC60 (after only 3 hours in it) - what a drive. Already suffered a "blocked" Blis camera on one side - the flashing very annoying, so turned off. Shame I didn't have a passenger to clean it!!

Well it's gonna be very cold for the next few days so will just have to take a big bottle of squeezy fluid with me and stick it out the window now and again!
...........or park it in an underground carpark/garage/etc until the lines unfreeze, then operate the washers for at least a few minutes to give you space in the reservoir to fill it up with NEAT concentrated fluid to get the overall concentration upto at least 50%.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 14:25   #5
carlh

Good idea, but not sure I can leave it in John Lewis overnight!! (sorry couldn't resist)
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 14:29   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you so much.
I had exactly the same problem on my S60 yesterday. It was dangerous with restricted vision so i stopped and bought some concentrated screen wash and filled it to the brim with that. Been fine today and it's just as cold.

I reckon if you put a stronger mix in that will sort it for you.

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 14:32   #7
carlh

Yep - for sure. My only problem is, it was virtually full before I even managed to put anything in it. So will have to try and warm it up a little somewhere and start getting rid of it.

You'd have thought the dealer would have been a bit more sensible - saw the car last week and they prepped it during this long cold snap!! Hopefully, it is just a temperature thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to carlh For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 19:15   #8
carlh

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone tried warming up the washing fluid hoses - can they easily seen and maybe use a hairdryer!!

Again, haven't had a chance to have a real look yet - but you guys seem to know all the tricks :-)
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 19:33   #9
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I'm over here from the V70 forum but it's a common issue, just posted this FWIW:

Car serviced last week and I was charged for washer fluid but now the cold weather is here the washers froze just below zero!

Topped it up with neat additive but not much difference, so while it was unfrozen today I decided to empty the reservoir. Had to do it by squirting it all out through the jets as I didn't want to disturb any pipe connections and by the sounds of it that would be a painful job to do in the cold.

It didn't take long, despite the 4.5 litre capacity (if you have headlamp washers the tank capacity is something like 6 or 6.5 litres). I've re-filled it with neat additive so hopefully it won't freeze now.

Incidentally, the V70 thread generally dismisses the efficacy of heated nozzles; unless you've got heated pipes and reservoir as well it's kind of pointless!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 19:41   #10
carlh

Good point on the nozzles, let us know how you get on with neat stuff. Thx