Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cost of replacing bonnet release cable - be warned

Views : 13675

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 22:19   #1
stevell

Default Cost of replacing bonnet release cable - be warned

The bonnet of my 1998 V40 would not open as the release cable was broken. I took it to Marshall's in Cambridge who needed to remove the front bumper to access the release mechanism and then replaced the cable.

The cost for this inconvenient problem? £184.44 and that included the Marshall's 10% discount scheme. Ouch!

Be warned, check your cable and bonnet release mechanism regularly.

Steve
stevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 23:35   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Default RE: Cost of replacing bonnet release cable - be warned

They made hard work of that then,

thats what apprentises are for "put you hand up there and pop bonnet open", If not quater drive extension fits very nicly between slats in front grill.

I'm must say tho bonnet cables are not a nice job to replace on s/v40's
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 23:26   #3
TimmyS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
They made hard work of that then,

thats what apprentises are for "put you hand up there and pop bonnet open", If not quater drive extension fits very nicly between slats in front grill.

I'm must say tho bonnet cables are not a nice job to replace on s/v40's

i found it rather easy to be honest. i used the 'barter' system. i changed a tap washer, my mate changed my bonnet cable. happy days!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 13:29   #4
phopwood

This happened to me on holiday last year and the nice man from the AA, opened the bonnet and replaced the cable for FREE.

Peter
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 17:34   #5
4 forty
VOC Member

this topic has been mentioned before,i have a nylon cord fixed to the bonnet release catch, hidden underneath the bumper,should the original snap, at least you, or a garage can open the bonnet without great expenditure on removing items for access.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 17:51   #6
sident1972
Numbskull

Smile Any more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty
this topic has been mentioned before,i have a nylon cord fixed to the bonnet release catch, hidden underneath the bumper,should the original snap, at least you, or a garage can open the bonnet without great expenditure on removing items for access.

paul
Paul do you have any more details on how you did this as I have had a few occasions where my bonnet catch has stuck.
Cheers Si
sident1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 20:12   #7
bigandquick
Premier Member

Once again I recommend independentvolvoservices.com in Letchworth. Tony, the proprietor, changed the cable in my wife's S40 a month ago. Granted he didn't have to pop the bonnet, but labour was £45 and parts £34.50, both plus VAT. Steer clear of Marshalls unless you print money and enjoy their 'only dealer in the area so we can treat you how we like' attitude. Size isn't everything.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 20:39   #8
Gray32

Default Re: Cost of replacing bonnet release cable

I currently have this problem on a S40 2002. I took this in to my local dealership (Oldham)to get mended. Quoted me £300 (worse case senario) as the bonnet catch had total ceased and they were struggling to open the bonnet. They didn't have the parts in stock, so I have booked the car in to be fixed in a couple of days. However I'm not impressed with the amount, but what choices do I really have. I'm hopping that is won't cost me anyware near £300 to get the bonnet release fixed.
Gray32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 03:08   #9
v6en
Master Member

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/BosDirec....php?cat_id=10

there are some independents that have been recommended on this site, see anyone near you? £300 is daylight robbery.

jacq.
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 19:38   #10
Gray32

Thanks for the link. I will use of the independant garages next time i have any problems, as the main dealerships are just too expensive.

Thanks
Gray32 is offline   Reply With Quote