Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF regeneration/cleaning too often?!?

Views : 12918

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2011, 19:49   #11
timebandit

If the DPF is almost full a light would be lit in the DIM. Also there should be a fault code in ECM. There are not.
Something is telling ECM to regenerate. I have tried to read as much as I can in Volvo VIDA and it seems that it's only the Pressure Sensor (at the Battery) that tells to regenerate or not.

If the ELOYS is empty there should also be a fault code for this, says VIDA. If this really is true I don't know. The fault code and detailed information is in VIDA documents.

But, I know that the electrical components does not always give a fault code as it should. I remember my MAF went bad on my old Volvo V70 1998 and the diagnostics could not detect this.

If the problem still exists after the 180.000km service (Service is due to Monday) I'm thinking to try replace the Pressure Sensor and hope it will fix the problem.

Does the ECU store information how many times DPF regeneration has occured? If so, do you know where to find this in VIDA?

I only have 30km to work and during this time it regenerates 2 times! So basicly it regenerates about 4-5 times per day!
In the manual for the car it says it should regenerate about every 300-900km depending how you drive etc.
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 21:29   #12
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
If the DPF is almost full a light would be lit in the DIM. Also there should be a fault code in ECM. There are not.
Something is telling ECM to regenerate. I have tried to read as much as I can in Volvo VIDA and it seems that it's only the Pressure Sensor (at the Battery) that tells to regenerate or not.

If the ELOYS is empty there should also be a fault code for this, says VIDA. If this really is true I don't know. The fault code and detailed information is in VIDA documents.

But, I know that the electrical components does not always give a fault code as it should. I remember my MAF went bad on my old Volvo V70 1998 and the diagnostics could not detect this.

If the problem still exists after the 180.000km service (Service is due to Monday) I'm thinking to try replace the Pressure Sensor and hope it will fix the problem.

Does the ECU store information how many times DPF regeneration has occured? If so, do you know where to find this in VIDA?

I only have 30km to work and during this time it regenerates 2 times! So basicly it regenerates about 4-5 times per day!
In the manual for the car it says it should regenerate about every 300-900km depending how you drive etc.
Why not e-mail Volvo customer service with VIN no and ask them to sort it?
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 18:37   #13
timebandit

I will try to do that. Will they really answer with a real answer?

Anyways, I got my car back today from the 180,000km service. As I suspected this did not help! They could not find any problem with the DPF. No fault code and no wierd sensor readings.
The mechanics can't really do much without their computer! Sigh

Seems like I will have to try fix this problem myself! First off is try change DPF pressure sensor and blow out all soot and stuff from the pipings.
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 17:04   #14
timebandit

No answer from Volvo yet :/

I replaced the Pressure Sensor without any luck. The data/info from the Pressure Sensor is all OK but the car still regenerates all the time. When it starts to regenerate it seems not to be able to stop until I park the car and use it later again.

I think the problem might be the ECM...
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 19:08   #15
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post

If EOLYS is empty, a message will be displayed "Engine system service required" when car is started.

A code will be generated and stored.

If car is continually regenerating I would ask how the car is being used, ie short cold start journeys for example.

How do you know that it is continually regenerating anyway?
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 18:04   #16
timebandit

ELOYS has been refilled without luck.

Short journeys... Sometimes. Everyday I drive 30km to work and 30km home. On weekends I drive aprox 80km.

I can see that it's regenerate with help of VIDA and DICE. Live data of ECM shows it's regenerating all the time.
Also the DIM displays aprox 80% more fuel usage.

The pressure sensor shows good values.