Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2000 C70 MAF Sensor

Views : 932

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 16:35   #1
Zanis

Default 2000 C70 MAF Sensor

Hello there,
I am new to this forum today, and was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice. I have just purchased a very nice C70 T5 for a bargain price. The seller had informed me prior to sale that the Mass Air Flow Sensor was malfunctioning. I have enquired about the costs of putting this right, but am reluctant to throw the car at a garage unless I have some confirmation that this is what is wrong. The engine is sluggish, and will not rev higher than 2000rpm. There is no smoke from the exhaust, but the engine does sometimes almost stall, and the engine management light is coming on. Idling is very lumpy and noisy for a T5 (I have had two 850 T5s in the past). Does this sound like a MAF sensor fault? Is it a plausible explanation? Any thought would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading this.
Zanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 16:40   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

you need the fault codes reading it could be an electronic throttle fault , this will give air mass codes too .
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 16:43   #3
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Yeah I agree...code reading time.!..could be ETM/MAF I guess.
How was the seller so sure.????

Neil.

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 16:43   #4
Zanis

I had thought about that - so the electronic throttle control can give trouble as well, then. Presumably this has been an 'advance' since my 850s. Is it serious if it is that?
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 16:46   #5
Zanis

Neil - the seller said he had had a 'mobile mechanic' out to look at it and that was what he had said. The car is in reasonably good condition otherwise, but it had been left undriven for about months - never a good thing, and probably even worse for a performance motor like this. Thanks to you for your reply.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 16:51   #6
jetronic63

You definitely need to get the codes read, pref by a Volvo code reader. ETM and the MAF are one of the most common problem areas. Sometimes the ETM is just gunked up and a good wipe out with some brake cleaner or similar will solve the problems. The MAF sensor can cause all sorts of problems and spurious codes. I would start by cleaning the ETM as its easy and cheap to do. You could also spray something gentle like switch cleaner into the MAF at the same time to clean that. Then see how it runs and get the codes read to see what you have.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 21:22   #7
Zanis

Thanks for your advice. Will act upon it and report back.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 00:54   #8
c70 jay

i had a similar problem and had my codes checked. it came up as airflow, but my friendly mechanic told me to remove element and drown it in carb cleaner to clean it off.

this actually worked for me and the car was completely different to drive after, smooth and responsive pulling to the redline. although mine is only the lowly 2.0lpt i suspect the maf is a fault on all models.

not sure if that helps but just putting it out there

jamie
c70 jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 23:43   #9
M D E
Master Member

Just cleaned my MAF sensor, gave it a good soaking with WD40 then let it dry before reinstalling. I have boost back again ! Car feels more responsive, and quicker on the uptake !

So got away with having to buy a new sensor, I had doubts if it was working properly as my MPG had dropped, it was this all along.
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 08:47   #10
jetronic63

Quote:
Originally Posted by M D E View Post
Just cleaned my MAF sensor, gave it a good soaking with WD40 then let it dry before reinstalling. I have boost back again ! Car feels more responsive, and quicker on the uptake !

So got away with having to buy a new sensor, I had doubts if it was working properly as my MPG had dropped, it was this all along.
Nice one ! - the MAF certainly makes a big difference to how the car runs. I had to go for a new one in the end although cleaning the old one helped a lot before it finally packed up. I got a new Bosch unit from Camberley Auto Factors for £170 which was a lot less than Volvo and in stock which was handy as the car was undriveable. Its lovely and smooth now and much more responsive away from the line. In fact so quick, the windscreen developed a crack from top to bottom and the heater motor packed up - actually that's a pretty good week for my V70. AWD going cheap anyone ??