Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear view mirror no longer dims.

Views : 5199

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 16:12   #1
ChrisCdotcodotuk

Unhappy Rear view mirror no longer dims.

I'm confused at my rear view mirror not auto dimming. I've looked around and a lot of people mention them leaking or this that and the other but mine looks okay, it just doesn't dim.

I only bought the car in the middle of september from a garage. They've already told me that it isn't covered and to go elsewhere.

The car is a volvo V50 D5 SE LUX 08 plate

• I have cleaned the mirror front and back.
  • I have tried sticking tape over the sensor on the front.
  • I have pointed a torch at it.
  • I have taken the fuse out of the fuse box for the over head console including the mirror.
  • I have reset the compass in the hope that it'd reset it all
  • I have almost given up hope

So, does anyone have any wonderful tips? I have been told on different sites that:

a) the mirror is just a mirror, it dims down to electronics in it. it is not connected to the cars brain at all.
b) the mirror is important, its connected to the brain and the brain can change the amount it dims. it also has parts that relate to the car and need to be programmed to work with the car.

Any tips? Any help?

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisCdotcodotuk; Nov 10th, 2011 at 16:15.
ChrisCdotcodotuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 17:01   #2
ChrisCdotcodotuk

I've just been out to the car and taken off the back housing of the mirror. All four wires seem to be connected okay but I am unsure of what voltages I should be seeing on them so I haven't connected a multi meter to them.

Four wires lead me to think that the unit communicates more to the car than just provide power.

The car also knows when it is dark as the lights dim and the sterero changes colour with daylight.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 18:06   #3
Guru
Premier Member

Do you have those two photo sensors as in the pic below? I can't see them in your picture...

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 18:14   #4
ChrisCdotcodotuk

Nope, no sensors on the bottom of the unit. its got a sensor in the middle about a cm down from the top. if you look at the pic you can see something odd there
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 18:33   #5
Guru
Premier Member

Yes, I've seen that but I wasn't too sure whether it was a sensor or a reflection from the rear wind shield.

As you said, you've tried everything there is to try with no joy, so I guess taking it in for a sensor sensitivity calibration is all that's left to do.. just hope it hasn't malfunctioned because these mirrors aren't cheap... with the compass they go for over 400€

Mine suddenly stopped dimming once, and after playing around with the wires with no joy I found that pressing on the plastic frame around the glass made it dim again... worth I try.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 18:36   #6
ChrisCdotcodotuk

Well I'm considering getting a 3rd party warranty for the car. £400 for the mirror or £700 for 3 years of warranty.

Volvo want £50 to just have a look at it which is a bit ghey.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 21:08   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

You could always ask Volvo what type of mirror your car left the factory with. This will be free.

There could be a chance that the mirror has been replaced in the past and if replaced from another car then this would cause this problem (they are paired to the car).

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 22:40   #8
faffi
Motorcyclist

Paired to the car?!?! This can only be for one reason; to make money when things must be replaced, preventing most people from buying second hand stuff.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 12:12   #9
ChrisCdotcodotuk

After many arguments with The Car Shop Swindon I have finally made them agree to pay out for the part under the sales of goods act 1979.

It did need a new mirror and I will be keeping the old one with compass incase anyone ever needs a spare.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisCdotcodotuk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 09:33   #10
ChrisCdotcodotuk

New one being fitted today for £440 all in.