Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 2001 Pressure in coolant when stuck in traffic

Views : 1684

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 17:01   #1
maven05

Default S80 2001 Pressure in coolant when stuck in traffic

I've read this forum and many others but could not find a solution to my problem.

If any Volvo mechanics who might of seen or came across this problem could help that would be awesome.

Problem: Pressure builds up in the coolant system when I drive in hot weather mainly when driving from traffic light to traffic light (or in traffic).

How I know it: I get message that Coolant is low on the dashboard. I let some air out by slightly opening the cap.

What I did: Changed thermostat and engine coolant sensor, changed fan also (it was used fan but in working condition).

I drove about 400km on the straight road (drove to another city) and had no problems at all with pressure.

I think i get pressure in the coolant because the fan doesn't turn on when it should. Even in hot weather when i turn off the engine and it is HOT the fan does not turn on. The interesting part is when I unplug the engine temperature sensor the fan starts to rotate and the temperature gauge drops on the dashboard. When I see the board computer to reset itself and the temperature gauge goes to the middle the fan stops working and few minutes later I get a message that the coolant low because of the pressure.
Almost every mechanic I talked to in Tallinn (Estonia) told me that I have blown head gasket but would not my hoses explode when I drove 400km because there would be constant pressure?

I really want to figure out what is the problem here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Max
maven05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 17:31   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

On initial read through I had in my head the causes could be either:

Head Gasket
Air lock in coolant system
Thermostat
Temp Sensor

If it was head gasket I'm sure ANY garage would be able to conduct the sniff test to tell you straight away, tests for exhaust fumes in the coolant. So perhaps we can put this to the side just now but for complete piece of mind you might want to have this test done. Over here most garages don't even charge as it is such a quick simple test.

Air lock, you could have an airlock in the cooling system. This would cause some of your symptoms but not the fan not running on problem.

Thermostat, if this is not working correctly then it will not allow coolant to flow round the engine correctly and can cause the head gasket to split. Did you replace with a new item??

Temp Sensor, again was this a new item or 2nd hand?

Can you put up the specs of your vehicle, I've got it is a 2001 S8 but what engine (engine code if possible).

A complete guess just now (if your head gasket has not gone) would be your temperature sensor itself.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Aug 26th, 2013 at 17:36.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 17:32   #3
mikealder
VOC Member

Get a dye kit that you can put in the coolant bottle then run the engine, if there is exhaust gas getting in to the coolant the dye will change colour which would indicate a head gasket/ cracked head/ block issue - If it stays the same then you know the engine is healthy.

Coolant needs the pressure to prevent the coolant from boiling, the normal temperature for the coolant in these engines is above the boiling point for water. The fan should kick in when it reaches around 106 DegC at slow speed, if the temperature gets up to 115 DegC the fan goes to high speed, at 117 DegC the temp gauge will move above the three o'clock position.

Are you sure the new thermostat is installed the right way around and sat in the rubber seal ring rather than just resting on top of it? - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 20:03   #4
maven05

Hey! Thanks for your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Air lock, you could have an airlock in the cooling system. This would cause some of your symptoms but not the fan not running on problem.
I do not think it's an air lock because I can the car in idle with reservoir cap off for a while to let any air out. (read it somewhere that it helped one guy)
Quote:
Thermostat, if this is not working correctly then it will not allow coolant to flow round the engine correctly and can cause the head gasket to split. Did you replace with a new item??
Yes, just today put in a brand new piece.
Quote:
Temp Sensor, again was this a new item or 2nd hand?
Yes, it is a brand new (Wager I belive.. starts on W)
Quote:
Can you put up the specs of your vehicle, I've got it is a 2001 S8 but what engine (engine code if possible).
I don't have the paper with me but more specific: Volvo S80, 2001, 2.4 Turbo 147kWt, benzine engine.
Quote:
A complete guess just now (if your head gasket has not gone) would be your temperature sensor itself.
Nope, just a brand new, I ran the test with multimeter and it read .20 OMH (ran test on 20K mark) when the engine was warm. When can the display stated 1

I'm guessing for a second week now what might be wrong. Everything seems to work well when I test individually but all together just doesn't make sense.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 20:15   #5
maven05

Hey Mike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Get a dye kit that you can put in the coolant bottle then run the engine, if there is exhaust gas getting in to the coolant the dye will change colour which would indicate a head gasket/ cracked head/ block issue - If it stays the same then you know the engine is healthy.
I will stop by TOYOTA tomorrow because my friend works there and he asked guys around and the will do the test.
Quote:
Coolant needs the pressure to prevent the coolant from boiling, the normal temperature for the coolant in these engines is above the boiling point for water. The fan should kick in when it reaches around 106 DegC at slow speed, if the temperature gets up to 115 DegC the fan goes to high speed, at 117 DegC the temp gauge will move above the three o'clock position.
I noticed on the right side on the radiator wet spot (if you face the front bumper). I used to have a leak somewhere but when I put in Radiator Stop Leak it stopped. Drove around 10K km and there were no trouble. When it got hot @ about 30*C i noticed a puddle of antifreeze on the ground right under the reservoir and the reservoir was wet from coolant.
Quote:
Are you sure the new thermostat is installed the right way around and sat in the rubber seal ring rather than just resting on top of it? - Mike
Correct me if I'm wrong please, I placed the thermostat in the seal ring (came with the thermostat) and placed it in the housing so the little valve was to the front of the car. Also, I checked the old one and it was perfectly fine. I just changed it because I took it apart.

Also could it be the antifreeze itself? I noticed that many people post images of their antifreeze in radiator and it was candy/greenish color but mine is just blue. My mechanic changed it in November and I had no trouble the entire winter. And when the summer started we had some pretty hot days and the cooling system worked just fine. Only few weeks ago I've been battling with this problem.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 20:37   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

When exactly did you put in the stop leak additive?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 20:42   #7
Thanatos
VOC Member

If it was before the antifreeze change the new antifreeze will be eating through the old stuff

If you think it's the head put a bottle of steel seal in and follow the instructions to the letter and you won't have any leaks it lasted 60k miles and 4 coolent changes in a vectra before I scrapped it.

Kseal lasted about 4-5 months as its only a quick fix not a perminant one
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 20:52   #8
maven05

I put in the Stop Leak substance after the antifreeze change.
And i put it in (cannot tell exactly) but I think it was February or March.

I would rather change the gasket... The problem is that here in Estonia there is no Liquid Gasket to repair head gasket. At least not a reliable one.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 22:14   #9
alre

I had same problem.Changed head gasket.Now everything is O.K.
alre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alre For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 02:00   #10
stuartggray
StuartGray

Could it just be the cap on the expansion tank needs replaced? I've heard that it can go and not vent properly when heat builds up.
Past - 1991 740 GL Estate Auto 2.0l
Past - 1985 240 GL Estate 5 Speed 2.3l
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote