Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RADIO - NO SOUND?

Views : 3998

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 16:54   #1
dostoev

I fitted a radio/cassette and I now find that although it lights up on the display - I am getting no sound?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - as this was my first attempt at fitting a radio - before I have to go a garage to identify why there is no sound coming out.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 18:51   #2
George Holmer

If the radio has power but there is no sound there are four possibilites:

1 Speakers broken
2 Speaker wiring broken
3 Radio broken
4 Speakers not connected

If no speakers work at all, 1 and 2 are very unlikely BUT possible. I would check 4 first of all, are you sure all wires have been fitted properly? If all speakers are properly connected, then I would suggest a fault in the radio but check with known speaker first.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/AW71; 115k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 21:10   #3
dostoev

The radio lights up and when a cassette is in place - the deck indicates this.

I am not sure if (2) wires are connected properly the 1st is with the 3amp fuse (red wire) I think has just gone into a blank spot. and the 2nd wire (yellow - with 10 amp fuse) has been connected to the yellow & red lead.

There is also a blue lead from the radio - which I believe is for auxillary and therefore is left blank

Any tips for a first timer - much appreciated - I suppose the radio did not go "bang" and that is a blessing at least.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:54   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: RADIO - NO SOUND?

Your problem is that you are trying to match an after market radio with a different type of installation than it was made for. There are usually two smallish speakers mounted at either end and on top of the dashboard. These are normally fed from the radio head. In each door there should be a speaker of around 5 inches diameter. these are fed from an amplifier unit the signal originating from the radio head. Thus you will only get sound if everythiong is connected in place. Halfords and all ICE stores sell adaptor cables for other make radio heads so that you can obtain sounds with the system that is installed in the car. You will need a wiring diagram of your car model to be able to isolate the speaker wiring from the old installed system yourself although it can be done fairly easily if you have the diagram.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:54   #5
George Holmer

Except that he has a 740 which does not have the speakers in the dashboard and also all his wires have been cut, thus he has no need for any adaptors...

The only thing to do is to use trial and error to look for unconnected wires. I have come across a radio unit which would light up, play cassettes, select CD's and search and store radio stations but gave no sound. I hope yours is ok and that you just need to find the right cables. A wiring diagram helps of course but is not essential, a bit of logical thinking is the most important.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/AW71; 115k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 19:28   #6
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Default RE: RADIO - NO SOUND?

Make sure you are connecting the right wires on the back of the radio. The speaker wires are colour coded in pairs, i.e blue and blue/white or blue and blue with a black stripe. Use a normal household speaker to get the pairs then mark them. If you tell us what model/year car you are fitting the radio into we can assist with wiring colours for the cars speakers.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 16:28   #7
dostoev

Many thanks Colin and everyone else for suggestions.

I am pleased to say that this radio/cassette is now working correctly - I nipped into an Auto Electrics (local to me) and they correctly fitted one wire which I had overlooked.

It just goes to show - when in doubt.
Old Aug 5th, 2010, 16:20   #8
hadi

i have this problem on my 97 v70-r used to get fm then it started cutting out and crackling, so i listened to am now its gone, if volume right up just get a hissing noise, cd sound etc works fine