Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

does my lpg system require filters?

Views : 4277

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2010, 16:24   #11
r800v6

Hi ClassicSwede,

Very true, Romano sell their kits without the vapour filter, however I do not believe any system (especially multi point) should be run without a filter.

To add to the factory fitted issues.
I maintain a number of fleet LPG vehicles for different companies and the main problems I see are the dirty distributor, the stepper motors stop working but are usually very reliable, in fact the main issue I see with the stepper motors are slight gas leaks around the top of the stepper unit.
The rubber seal on the input valve to the VG392 vapouriser (as fitted to all Koltec systems) can perish and cause a major over pressure of the system, by default the reg releases this excess pressure into the inlet and so causes a major misfire due to massive overfuelling (pressure seen at the second stage of the VG392 jumps to around 5 bar instead of the regulated 1.4-1.5)
The solenoid coils on the shut off valve can split and allow water/dirt to enter causing a switch to gas that causes the engine to cut out.

These are the main issues with the Volvo system to be aware of.
Vauxhall systems are mainly affected by weak coil packs and sensors, also the 58x unit fails causing a refusal to switch to gas.
The GSI injectors fail (99% of the time on cylinder 2 or 4) and cause a heavy misfire.

Ford systems as fitted mostly to the 2.3 litre Transit have the same system as the Volvo but have one weakness, the DPFE sensors fail.
This causes the EGR valve to open excessively so causes spluttering and cutting out on gas.
Also the fuel control module under the dash can fail causing heavy misfiring and refusal to run on gas.
The older liquid injection system was a bit of a scandal really as the pump had no lubrication on the Metatron system, I have replaced the pump on a number of these (mostly on LDV vans) and they work fine again but it will always fail again with the same fault.

All of the systems have their faults but after a while of working on them you get to know the common faults and so can diagnose/fix most of them very quickly.

Once again I find myself rambling on.... I apologise to the original poster for answering his question and then continuing to rant on ;-)

Edward.
www.mobileautomotivesandlpg.co.uk
r800v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 20:03   #12
digitalis1

Hi ClassicSwede and edward,
many thanks for both of your replies to my question, most of it goes over my head but i get the general idea of where you are both coming from and reinforces my belief that my system should have filters on and with this new found information i will be printing it off and taking it down to the installer and presenting it to him and insisting that he fits filters no matter what he says to the contrary!
one of the questions that was asked was why was the original system removed, well this happened due to the fact the car was cutting out on gas on a regular basis normally when i was at top speed on the motorway meaning a quick scrabble for the petrol button and more often than not having to restart the car whilst knocking the car in to neutral (automatic car) not the best situation to be in. I read on the forums that this may be down to a dirty distributer, i asked the installer about cleaning this and checking the software version that my car was running because i heard this also may cause problems, the installer said that he could service the distributor but would not be able to check the software due to this being "locked" down by volvo, so i took the oportunity to have a gas service and software check at the same time as a regular service at the main dealers. the dealer had to send off for a "journal" (?) from volvo because they dealt with so few lpg cars they came back and the gas sysyem was serviced and i got them to use a service kit to replace some items within the distribitor and give it a general clean, i was told that the software was ok and didn't need an upgrade, as an aside the dealer said that the distributor work wasn't guaranteed to fix the problem, which was a shame as the problems returned with a vengance about 300 miles later; not wanting to spend £000's of pounds for volvo to um and ahh over what it could or couldn't be i took it to the "installer" and asked his opinion, he oooh'd and ahhh'd and said it could be any number of things and for the cost i could pay for bits to cure he could fit me a new system for £700, to be honest i really needed the car to work and couldn't afford to have the problem continue so aggreed to have the work done.All i can say now with hindsight is that i wished i'd gone somewhere else with all the hassle i've had from this installers work, and am tied in to the installer for two years as he has guarenteed the fit for two years if i have the servicing on the system done by him, believe me after the two years is up i will be looking for a more competant fitter to deal with the car. Sorry for the long answer but once again thanks for your replies and hopefully it will spur the installer to do the right thing
reagrds
dave
digitalis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 23:14   #13
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

How would he service the car for the 2 years if he had not fitted filters?

Would you mind PM ing me the details of the company that did your install. The reason I want to know is a supply the trade and its helpfull to know which installers are doing what.

Probably not a good idea to post up for everyone to read just in case of legal issues.

Cheers
Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 18:12   #14
digitalis1

[QUOTE=classicswede;719284]How would he service the car for the 2 years if he had not fitted filters?

hi classicswede
i asked exactly the same question when i first noticed that there wasn't any filters fitted and the answer i got was that " we put it on the computer and give it a tune up" and i am expected to pay £60 for that priveledge but it was a price i was prepared to pay if only to keep the warranty up to date, however since that conversation i have had to have the gas system on the computer for one reason or another and if it's the same as a tune up then this takes all of 5 mins so as you can imagine i am now dubious about paying
regards
dave

oh btw p.m sent with a few more details
digitalis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 12:06   #15
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

PM replied to,

£60 is a lot to just connect upto the computer. The worst thing is by the sounds of it they do not even know what they are doing on that side of things either!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote