Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 T5 - 140K miles and just switched to LPG

Views : 5475

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 23:18   #1
C70T5Driver

Default C70 T5 - 140K miles and just switched to LPG

Hi,

I've had my C70 T5 from new (56). Just racked up 140K of motorway miles and it runs like new, I've been servicing it myself since 100K every 8K it gets new oil and filters, changed the plugs at 100k. Volvo changed the timing belt at 120K

After a lot of reading I decided on a LPG conversion and collected the car from my installer yesterday. AC Stag 400 plus ECU, Flashlube fitted, no idea about the other parts but the installer said they mix and match components for the best configuration for the car and that the vaporiser was rated to 330bhp, will get some pics up soon, all looks very neat but I'm no expert!

The installer told me they've ordered a fuel pressure sensor emulator which they will fit at the 600km service to deal with the engine warning light and would do it at no extra cost. Tank was the largest size I could fit under the roof guard, worked out at about 10.5G "real capacity" I think , Total cost was £1400.

Full of gas and ready to make my first long motorway run, I'll add another 400 miles this week, 90% motorway running at about 80. Usually get about 33mpg on the computer on petrol or as I prefer to measure it 1 tank of unleaded at about £65.

Will post my experience later this week...

From reading this forum it looks like I need to change my plugs at the next home service to copper and then change them every service thereafter?

Also really interest if anyone knows if I have the harder valve seats fitted on my car?

My goal is to get another 140k out of the car, any other advice in getting there would be greatly appreciated.
C70T5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 08:51   #2
ctautos

Smile lpg

you should have no problem"s if it all set up right try not to run out of
gas change back over befor the red light come"s on good luck
ctautos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctautos For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 20:27   #3
FatLadZ

http://autogas-lpg.co.uk/-emulators/...c-autogaz.html

ive never heard of those but hey i might fit one to mine to be safe

id like to hear what an installer has to say about them
FatLadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 22:22   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

From experiance the emulators don't work as they give a fixed reading rather than variable as the cars ecu expects to see.

The best way is to do it properly without emulation.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 01:45   #5
C70T5Driver

It all started very well, did my first 400 miles on about £40 worth of gas at a steady 75mph, saving me about £30 a trip and I do a lot of trips, great start. Then the problem.

Got in the car this morning and it started on petrol then started spluttering, racing up and down the revs between 500 - 1500 rpm, slight backfire and then stalling. Had to be somewhere in a hurry so got a taxi and started worrying about how I could get home, I was 100 miles away!!!

Got back a few hours later and tried again, just about managed to keep the revs up thinking maybe if it switched to gas it will be OK. Gas kicked in and it was fine, drove straight to the installer, 30 miles away

He did some checks on the ECU by this time it was idling OK on petrol. He asked me to take it around the block on gas and then switch to petrol during the drive. Switched to petrol and the same thing happens, revs racing and power loss. Took it back and he says it the pressure build up and the emulator will fix it, fitting in a weeks time. Told him I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to get stranded and asked him to set it back to petrol only, he did a few tweaks of the ECU and running on petrol is now fine, just did 200 miles, filling back up with unleaded hurt!!!

But I'm thinking the emulator is just masking the problem and the pressure will still build up I guess, so I'm a bit concerned that this isn't the proper job as you say and may do more harm than good?

Is it likely to damage the petrol system in the long run, does the pressure keep building and what is the consequence?

Like I say I want another 140k miles, the guy did say when I collected the car there was an option to feed the petrol back but it was a difficult job beacuse of the location of the fuel pump.

Best advise greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 10:56   #6
martin93t

Any updates on this?

I'm looking to convert to gas.

Where did you get it done?

Turbo lag is like foreplay, you know its coming and its going to be good
martin93t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 12:31   #7
ctautos

Thumbs up lpg

there is one down where you are.you want a multi point.
google lpg you will find it
ctautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 12:46   #8
martin93t

I've been looking at a company called LPG Wales in cardiff.

AC STAG SEQUENTIAL INJECTION kit.

Turbo lag is like foreplay, you know its coming and its going to be good
martin93t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 14:26   #9
C70T5Driver

Fuel pressure emulator is not a solution for my T5, the car is currently back with the garage to have a bypass valve fitted on the fuel line, I collect it on Monday

In fairness they mentioned this solution when I collected the car the first time around but said it was a a difficult job due to access to the tank and expected the emulator to do the job.

classicswede was spot on with respect to his point about emulators, without doubt an expert with respect to lpg and volvos

The garage is based in Cardiff they advertise 1 day conversions, the service level has been good so far - the by-pass valve job is being done without charge and they seem very eager to make sure that I am happy with the work and its fault free, no quibbles. I've been through some inconvenience during the process but feel confident they will get the job done right - albeit not first time!

Will keep you updated
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 22:06   #10
Bowlesy30

Default V50 T5 LPG Conversion

Hi
hoping to offer some information and get some in return on the LPG conversion, I have recently had my V50 T5 converted by LPG wales in cardiff, had some teething issues with the work carried out and took it back this week with the Engine management light on, when they plugged it in it highlighted problems with Fuel pressure and misfire on 2 cylinders. when they completed the conversion the guy suggested my sparkplugs needed changing as the misfire was noticable. £80 and some Denso irridium tough plugs later and the misfire is still there. Anyway today the car went back to LPG wales to have a bypass valve fitted to the car and some corrective work carried out to the injectors to rectify the misfire(All FOC). Results, the bypass has worked a treat but regarding the misfire it is better at low revs now but still apparent around the 2000rpm under acceleration on gas. there are no codes showing on the ecu at present so will be driving it for a few days to see if anything comes up. The garage did not really have to much to offer on the issue so was hoping some one may have come accross this and give me something to work with ? LPG wales have been more than accomodating but i am disappointed it has not been a smooth ride its concerning to find problems when you part with £1300.
Bowlesy30 is offline   Reply With Quote