Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 windscreen bonding failure

Views : 32016

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 08:13   #31
somersetmale

Default 2012 XC 60 Water Ingress.

About a month ago we had some heavy rain and after work found the drivers foot-well swimming in water. After drying it out, I did some research, including this forum and it seems generally there are two areas for water ingress. If you have a sunroof, the drainage hose can become blocked and this causes water to overflow the guttering and run over the roof ending into the headlining and also down the 'A' pillars onto the floor or through the windscreen nor being bonded correctly. I have had no problem since until yesterday after the torrential rain we experienced in the south west and again the drivers foot-well was swimming and water running out of the over-head light assembly.
This is totally unacceptable on a vehicle of 4 years old. Today I am going to phone my local Volvo dealership to ask what they know regarding water ingress on the XC 6o range. I certainly think there is a case for Volvo to be held to account.
somersetmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 09:59   #32
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetmale View Post
About a month ago we had some heavy rain and after work found the drivers foot-well swimming in water. After drying it out, I did some research, including this forum and it seems generally there are two areas for water ingress. If you have a sunroof, the drainage hose can become blocked and this causes water to overflow the guttering and run over the roof ending into the headlining and also down the 'A' pillars onto the floor or through the windscreen nor being bonded correctly. I have had no problem since until yesterday after the torrential rain we experienced in the south west and again the drivers foot-well was swimming and water running out of the over-head light assembly.
This is totally unacceptable on a vehicle of 4 years old. Today I am going to phone my local Volvo dealership to ask what they know regarding water ingress on the XC 6o range. I certainly think there is a case for Volvo to be held to account.
Totally agree.

I experienced the same problem with my 5 year old car and my dealer had had to fix at least two others weeks apart. Two screens broke during the process. My repair cost nothing as Volvo do pay for the removal and rebonding but the issue over who pays for the windscreen if it cracks during removal was raised.

Volvo insist that the dealers should be able to remove the windscreen without it breaking and so are responsible for the cost. However, if there are chips near the edge of the screen then the risk of breaking is there. Normally it is only screens that are already damaged that are removed! Some dealers will not accept the risk and ask the customer to pay if the screen breaks. Ridiculous!

Reassuringly, my insurance company stated that they would pay if the screen broke during the repair but this was not actually put to the test, but it is worth enquiring if it comes down to it.

Clearly though, Volvo should accept total responsibility. The bonding on some XC60 cars is obviously not fit for purpose as the screen should be sealed for life. I have never had a screen leak on any other car I have owned over 40 years.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 23:39   #33
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

Default 2012 xc60 d5 screen noise

I suspect mines the same then reading all this lot, drivers side air noise when on the motorway and if you push the screen slightly from the inside the noise gets louder, I have had water in at one point when jet washing the car. Will Volvo fix this for free, are they admitting its a fault?
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 08:53   #34
alf27
Alf27

Thumbs up

I think a lot depends on how much the dealer wants your further business, when I was at my local Main dealer (for a presentation of a new model) & mentioned water ingress the service manager replied that it was a common problem, he inspected the car & asked that I leave it with him for a few days, he later that week phoned & arranged for the screen to be removed & resealed, which I thought was excellent considering it is an early (2008) model & I had not been a customer previously.

XC60 2008 Auto Grey
alf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alf27 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 10:09   #35
Fellwalker

I looked at this thread as I was concerned when a drop of water from the drivers side landed on me. There was water come through the seal between the door and its frame. I'm hoping that it was due to the wind and heavy rain getting in while I was getting in and out but now I'm concerned. 3 year Service shortly, building a list of potential issues.
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 12:06   #36
alf27
Alf27

Fellwalker, get them to check the bonding, or do it yourself, at the top of the screen push the screen from the inside, if there is ANY movement the bonding has failed.

XC60 2008 Auto Grey
alf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 21:26   #37
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
3 year Service shortly, building a list of potential issues.
Make sure your three year service is safely before the three year warranty date.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 16:38   #38
nigxl

Hi
Is this still an issue on the newer cars?
I'm having my 17 plate XC60 delivered on Friday and just started searching forums for potential problems, sorry I started now
nigxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 18:07   #39
PJordan

My17 does not have this issue, it has no issues at all. Lovely car all round, took it up to Aberdeen last weekend and it is a great motorway cruiser and then had it in Sport mode on the country roads to Ballater. Enjoyed the drive immensely.

Enjoy yours too when it arrives.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 20:26   #40
nigxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJordan View Post
My17 does not have this issue, it has no issues at all. Lovely car all round, took it up to Aberdeen last weekend and it is a great motorway cruiser and then had it in Sport mode on the country roads to Ballater. Enjoyed the drive immensely.

Enjoy yours too when it arrives.
Good to hear thanks I'm sure I will
https://www.stoneacre.co.uk/used-car...av-5dr-ks17xmj
nigxl is offline   Reply With Quote