Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Van attitude under tow - towbar query

Views : 2019

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2014, 15:25   #11
upv5
VOC Member

You did not say what make of towbar you have but the Volvo detachable came in 3 different heights.
One for standard suspension, a taller one for the lowered R models and a shorter one for the raised suspension XC.
Whether you can change the height of your towbar depends on what make it is and if they do variations.
The vans attitude in the photo does not look too bad and as long as you don't have to negotiate steep inclines, where the rear of the van might hit the ground, you will probably be OK.
Have you got Nivomats ? in this case putting more weight on the rear of the car has little effect as suspension self levels when you start moving.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 18:08   #12
CPH

The towbar is a Witter VL32 fixed flange type.

The sandwich plates that secure the centre tube in place do have an extra hole lower down for the rearmost fixing only. This would technically allow the centre tube to pivot downwards but I've tried this and the result is that it puts the towball at a ridiculous backward angle. It begs the question why it's there really?

I phoned my local Witter fitter today and asked their advice. They don't seem to think its a problem that the towball is as high as it is or that the van sits nose up but have said they can fit a 2" lowering plate for £10.00 if I so wish.

I've done quite a bit internet research on the subject and most, if not all, sources agree that a nose up angle on the van is not good for stability and may cause issues under braking as it could potentially cause the rear of the car to lose traction.

I will re-measure the towball height and coupling height of the van to see what the actual discrepancy is and report back soonish.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 19:28   #13
DarkendViper

Don't forget the towball measurements are between 350mm and 420mm laden, mine sites are 435mm when i'm laden for going away, the wife and kids don't weigh much and neither does the dog, but mine does look more level. Here's a passage I found which might help,

The EC Directive 94/20/EC states that the towball height should be between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle in the ‘laden’ condition. Laden condition may have been defined (by the manufacturer) as either fully laden (the maximum technically permitted mass of the vehicle as shown in the vehicle handbook), or, conventionally laden (defined as 68.5kg per specified passenger seat and 6.5kg of luggage per specified passenger and located in the centre of the luggage storage area). Alternatively, the towball may be at the height or height range specified by the vehicle manufacturer in the homologation documents and possibly the vehicle handbook. Not so straightforward!

So that could be 300kg in the car for passengers and luggage plus a 90% full fuel tank. So that is quite a lot of weight. When i'm laden for a trip, i;m about 220kg in passengers and luggage, so stick the awning in the boot.

Hope this can shed some light and help
DarkendViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 19:56   #14
volvo145
Premier Member

I personally would fit a down plate to allow the caravan to be rear up.
To me your outfit will be unstable in some conditions.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 20:01   #15
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
I personally would fit a down plate to allow the caravan to be rear up.
To me your outfit will be unstable in some conditions.
For what it's worth...I agree.
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 07:27   #16
moncman

The car in the pic looks pretty level so I would say the tow ball needs lowering by and inch or so. New shocks will add extra damping but should not really change ride height. That's what your springs are for.

Nose up attitude will not be good for stability and adding more weight will not help but could actually make things worse in an emergency braking situation as the momentum of the van will want to take the shortest route (up) to wash off the speed.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 22:36   #17
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

What nose weight did you have on the hitch? And out of interest what size are the tyres on the van? Do they correspond to what it should have?

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 21:53   #18
CPH

Slight update:

In the end this turned out to be a non-issue.

As some of you will know from an older posting on here, the van was a bit of a lemon when I bought it and it's had a lot of work over the last year or so to make it useable.

It's now finished so today I decided to take it out for a road test to make sure my brake adjustments were ok and to make sure there were no other problems before we take it away in a couple of weeks time.

After hitching it up to the car I looked to see what the attitude was and I was relieved to see the van ever so slightly nose down! The car was pretty much level front to back too.

I have since put new wheels and tyres on the van, although they're the same size so what difference it can make is negligible, and it's had a new stabiliser hitch fitted. Again, I can't see what difference that can make but as the only two contact points the van has perhaps the effect of cumulative changes has made a difference?

I'm also pleased that the van tows really well too. Brakes work perfectly after my fettling and it was very stable behind the V70.
Old Apr 5th, 2014, 08:18   #19
moncman

Pleased this has worked out for you but I must say I'm also struggling to figure out how the problem has just gone away.

I can only imagine a cumulative effect of 2 factors namely:

The ride height of the van is higher at the axle, caused by better tyres, higher pressures?, or perhaps the suspension has extended whilst conducting the work.

And the distance from the axle to the tow bar has increased by a slightly longer hitch or/and the old one was compressed (as if reversing) and the internal spring did not allow it to extend.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 12:20   #20
DC850
VOC Member

Glad it has all worked out for the better, Enjoy your van
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote