Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230FT and M90 swap queries

Views : 1686

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2023, 22:33   #1
2me

Default B230FT and M90 swap queries

Hi all,

I'm dropping my 240 off to.my mechanic to swap the b200 in my 240 to a 940 B230ft with an M90

This is the 2nd time I've started working towards doing a swap. Last time I sold the car before I got things underway. I bought the car back about 2 years ago and have been planning to do the swap with some time but have come to the realisation that I probably lack the time and skills to do the swap so my mechanic is going to do it.

I want to have everything there so he can get stuck in.

I've a couple of items that I'm not sure of that I'd love to get some input.

1. I've a mocal remote filter and an oil cooler kit. Do I need a different stud where the filter normally screws on.

2. I have a dogfish flywheel and clutch. Do I need new bolts to mount the flywheel and clutch to the block?

3. I have the 940 prop shaft complete with carrier bearing and mount. Will this bolt up to the 240.

4. Rear mount for the m90 box. I've came across a mount on line. Is there a simpler solution?

5. I bought a LH 2.4 loom from Elbert Bos to simplify things. My car is a k jet. Will I need to swap the instrument cluster or will I be OK with the existing one.

If anyone has any lessons learned from their swap they would like to share I'd love to hear them.
2me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2me For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 23:42   #2
grumpydad

Hi
in no order

you will need to take the dissy off the back of the head and put it where your dissy is now so you will have to replace the oil pump drive take it from the engine you take out time for that job 1 1/2 hours

look at https://www.davebarton.com/ for all your wiring stuff
have you got both the fuel and spark ecu

prop shaft its a cut and shut job front 940 weld the 240 one to it before the centre bearing only problem is the 940 one is bigger so you will have to make a slug to go in both props and weld it

fly wheel make shore you get it in the right place or it will never start

4 dont understand ?

oil filter jus use the stuff that on the b230 ft

you will have fun with the steering column and exhaust

intercooler ?

MAF ?

have you still got the hole 940 ?

Last edited by grumpydad; Feb 4th, 2023 at 23:49.
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpydad For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 10:23   #3
2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpydad View Post
Hi
in no order

you will need to take the dissy off the back of the head and put it where your dissy is now so you will have to replace the oil pump drive take it from the engine you take out time for that job 1 1/2 hours

look at https://www.davebarton.com/ for all your wiring stuff
have you got both the fuel and spark ecu

prop shaft its a cut and shut job front 940 weld the 240 one to it before the centre bearing only problem is the 940 one is bigger so you will have to make a slug to go in both props and weld it

fly wheel make shore you get it in the right place or it will never start

4 dont understand ?

oil filter jus use the stuff that on the b230 ft

you will have fun with the steering column and exhaust

intercooler ?

MAF ?

have you still got the hole 940 ?
Thanks for the heads up on the dizzy. It qas originally 2014 /15 when I had planned to do the swap so.I have forgotten alot of the stuff I had learned back then.

Don't have the 940 but have its ecus, rad, intercooler and piping. Must check for the MAF.

Spotted this morning that you can use an adaptor to.make the 240 prop long enough must look into that.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 11:28   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You can reuse your original flywheel bolts, it is better to replace them but you can reuse them and thread lock them in. It's very easy to get it in the right place, set the engine to tdc (timing marks all lined up) and then put the flywheel on so the missing dimples are sat in the middle of the starter motor hole. You can get new flywheel and clutch bolts from Volvo still.

I'm not that good with 200 series specifics so the M90 gearbox mount might need cutting and welding in some way to fit a 200 series, if the one you found for sale online is from retro turbo then be careful as he is renowned for taking your money and nothing ever appearing, Dai at classic swede might have a bracket to suit.

I think Dai might even do engine mounts/brackets to suit a turbo swap in a 200 series but I might have imagined that.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 12:48   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155226564...mis&media=COPY
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 13:37   #6
2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You can reuse your original flywheel bolts, it is better to replace them but you can reuse them and thread lock them in. It's very easy to get it in the right place, set the engine to tdc (timing marks all lined up) and then put the flywheel on so the missing dimples are sat in the middle of the starter motor hole. You can get new flywheel and clutch bolts from Volvo still.

I'm not that good with 200 series specifics so the M90 gearbox mount might need cutting and welding in some way to fit a 200 series, if the one you found for sale online is from retro turbo then be careful as he is renowned for taking your money and nothing ever appearing, Dai at classic swede might have a bracket to suit.

I think Dai might even do engine mounts/brackets to suit a turbo swap in a 200 series but I might have imagined that.

Thank you, I've got some parts from Dai in the past so will check in with him,
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 22:31   #7
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hi,

I wrote this guide a while back that covers most of it.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290295

1. Stick with the oe setup on the 940 engine, no need for a remote filter etc. I have the standard 940 heat exchanger and oil filter adapter in place on my car- there’s enough room for the 2.5inch downpipe and the car doesn’t get hot even on trackdays. If you really want to then perhaps the tube from the 940’s 90 degree oil filter and heat exchanger adapter will work or search for a new one online.

2. As others have said, the bolts from your b200f flywheel will work or buy new ones

3. The front section of your existing (assuming your car is currently manual with an m47 5speed box?) propshaft needs to be extended by 50mm. Retro turbo used to sell a spacer to do this but they’ve ceased trading, so don’t send them any money. I’m not aware of any other suppliers of those spacers, so you’ll have to have your propshaft modified by a prop company.

4. A weld together adapter is available online that allows you to use a standard m47 rubber/poly mount and the mount to the standard gearbox crossmember. They’re about £35 and work perfectly.

5. Your instrument cluster is fine- my car was also k-jet before I swapped it. There is an output on the back of the speedo for the speed signal 2.4lh needs to activate the idle circuit when you come to a stop.

Throw out any other questions you have, it’s a well trodden path now and a lot of people have converted 240s in the the U.K. so any issues you have will have been tackled before.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 06:22   #8
2me

Thank you. Would ypu believe with all my searching of the forum I had not come across your thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2me For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 08:33   #9
230ina245

Hi
I can recommend the weld together rear mount from Dai. I also used the gearbox extension from retro turbo (pre brexit) - works well if you have a propshaft from a car with a M47 gearbox.
Also, when shortening the linkage from gear stick to gearbox don't do what I did and make the lower link adjustable. I thought it would be a good idea to get the length spot on. It did that alright, but in use the constant twisting action it received eventually overcame the locknut and left me unable to get most gears!
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 12:08   #10
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Also, up to you of course but given the benefit of hindsight I wouldn’t have a custom downpipe made to suit the standard 13c turbo from the 940, it has a conical outlet which is fairly unusual so when you want to change the turbo for a better one (you almost certainly will) you’ll have to modify/build another downpipe to suit.

Can you weld? Or is the garage going to make the downpipe for you along with the other work?

Consider buying this 15g turbo- marginally bigger than the 13c from the 940, so still a small and quick spooling turbo. As the exhaust housing (hotside) of the 15g/16t/19t turbos are the same, you can unbolt the front half of the turbo and swap it for a different size- I did this when I swapped from a 15g to a 19t.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394447977...mis&media=COPY

And this which will bolt onto the outlet (the downpipe won’t fit a 240 of course, the point of buying this is just to cut it off and build a downpipe from it - that’s what I did when I swapped turbos which made it a lot easier)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264335493...mis&media=COPY

Attached photo of the downpipe I made when I swapped turbos from the 13c to the 15g- so that was the second downpipe I built for the car, it would have been easier to just build one for the 15g to start with.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C2E0FFD-458C-4340-99C5-B79D485CDEC1.jpg (203.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Bugjam1999; Feb 6th, 2023 at 12:19.
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post: