Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lpg mpg

Views : 5269

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2010, 00:58   #11
John_C
Allons-y!

It might just be the LPG system needs a bit of a tweek, do you have a code reader which can check your long term fuel trims as it might be running a bit rich? How many miles have you done since it was last serviced/checked?
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 10:22   #12
Bhowani 2
Bhowani

Default Mpg lpg ff

My previous 04 FF V70 LPFG regularly turned out 18 and 26mpg, which I equated to 36 and 52. (town/run) I was more than happy with that.
Newly acquired 08 V50 with the "same" engine has yet to get through a tankful for an accurate check since conversion. I get the feeling the gearbox is higher geared, and therefore slightly better returns could be on the way if I keep away from the Geartronic mode!

Enjoy the price differentials: anything could happen after 6th May!

Bhowani
Bhowani 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 11:16   #13
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

I get a steady 14mpg regardless of how i drive mine.
Which with the 4.0 engine seems ok, but even though it switches over to gas pretty quick the petrol gauge goes down rather quick, so i need to factor in the cost of the petrol it uses as well.

At least i didnt pay the 2.5k conversion charges.

Now if i could only disable the 4x4 and make it 2wheel drive i'm sure i'd pick up another 5-6mpg.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 22:47   #14
Bhowani 2
Bhowani

Default LPG mpg

Finally got some "real" figures........(ie tank mt to tank full)

Town 20.5 mpg equivalent to 41 mpg
Trip 29.6 mpg 59.2mpg

As they say, that'll do nicely!

Bhowani
V50 2.4 LPG
Bhowani 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 21:59   #15
humphrey999

>>Town 20.5 mpg equivalent to 41 mpg
>>Trip 29.6 mpg 59.2mpg

I always see ebay traders trying to claim that LPG is half the running costs of petrol and claiming similar factors. Forgive me if I have misunderstood you but I don't understand how you come up with this factor of 2 to claim that 20.5mpg is equivalent to 41mpg?

41mpg of what? If you mean it's equivalent to 41mpg for a petrol car then that isn't correct because you get only about 80% of petrol mpg withh LPG. I agree that LPG is typically half the cost of petrol but that's only half of the equation. I reckon that LPG is 70% of the cost of petrol given the lower energy density and the higher LPG consumption.

Again, as I say, forgive me if I have misunderstood you.
humphrey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 22:17   #16
John_C
Allons-y!

You are quite right that the eBay traders are talking out of their backsides by claiming an LPG car costs half as much to fuel as a petrol car, 80 to 90 percent of petrol mpg is a good estimate on a modern LPG system.

However, it does depend how much you pay for your gas. My most recent fill was 56p a litre for gas compared to 120p a litre for unleaded which goes a long way to compensating for the difference in fuel economy.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 13:26   #17
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
You are quite right that the eBay traders are talking out of their backsides by claiming an LPG car costs half as much to fuel as a petrol car, 80 to 90 percent of petrol mpg is a good estimate on a modern LPG system.

However, it does depend how much you pay for your gas. My most recent fill was 56p a litre for gas compared to 120p a litre for unleaded which goes a long way to compensating for the difference in fuel economy.
Where are you finding this cheap gas???

I'm stuck with either a Morrisons which is 65p or a BP at 69p, which is nowhere near half the price of petrol at 120p.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 14:25   #18
John_C
Allons-y!

I'm very fortunate in that the guys who installed my system are only a couple of minutes away and they also supply LPG to a chain of independent installers. They sell LPG much closer to trade price than the big chains.

They're moving to a new location soon which is a) even closer and b) will be open 24 hours for LPG sales so basically I'm just a really lucky bugger

Cheers,
John
The Following User Says Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 09:41   #19
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Talking Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post
Where are you finding this cheap gas???

I'm stuck with either a Morrisons which is 65p or a BP at 69p, which is nowhere near half the price of petrol at 120p.
I pay 59.9 at Sainsbury and most of others nearby although Ive seen 62.p at BP
Petrol as much as £1.25, shame aint it ,Smiles as I get change out of £20 after filling my tank to the rim.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 18:11   #20
Ben '71 1200

I get around 19mpg with an open loop mixer on the b230e in my 240..

It's an antiquated system made by a company called Bedini and is rubbish. I can easily adjust to do 25 or so but it slips out of adjustment after a couple weeks anyway. I also reckon my mixer is too big (no torque on smaller throttle opening so you have to floor it wait for the gas to catch up which feels most wasteful). I've just bought a closed loop conversion which should alter the fuelling to make up for the mechanical innacuracies that develop on such a regular basis meaning it won't need a fiddle so often (if at all, hopefully)

Edit: I'm also eying up a BLOS gas carb (variable orifice mixer) to try to improve the system to the point where performance and economy are up there with the sequential injection systems whilst staying simple enough to spanner on myself.

Last edited by Ben '71 1200; Apr 14th, 2010 at 18:14.
Ben '71 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote