Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Caravan battery

Views : 1789

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2020, 08:26   #11
RS3100

The heavier a lead acid battery, the better. Compare two batteries of the same stated capacity, but different weights, and the lighter one is both more likely to have its stated capacity exaggerated on the label, and be capable of fewer charge/discharge cycles before it needs replacing. More weight means thicker plates more able to resist damage and wear that occurs naturally over cycle life.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 11:28   #12
Adrian888

True and it also depends on the battery classification. A class A leisure battery will withstand off grid use and constant discharge and charging far better than a class C battery. The latter are ok if always on grid, always kept charged and only used for the odd but of mover powering. I have a 100a/h class B Halfords battery as a mid way compromise and it was fine running the mover on our previous t/a caravan. It was also 5kg heavier than previous 110a/h battery (that was about 10 years old).
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 22:47   #13
richard willetts

Default Exide Battery 115ah

Hi I bought this 115ah battery on the most popular internet website from Click Car Parts First class service

Ended up paying £79 got a discount code from internet site its an EXIDE ER550 Dual Leisure Battery Caravan Boat Motorhome 115ah 3 years warranty.It also lets you check and top up the battery water level so it does not boil dry

Its a bit snug in the battery box on Coachman VIP but its fits.
Battery moves 1700kg van on mover with ease

Never put the mains on the van all winter 80 watt solar panel has kept it topped with the alarm on up since last summer.
Its a good battery
Richard
richard willetts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richard willetts For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 16:26   #14
minibull
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
It is widely rumoured that Halfords batteries are made by Tanya - partly why i bought one.
Halfords batteries are made by Yuasa, see the safety information on their website.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 16:52   #15
Adrian888

Of course they are! Why did i write that..... senior moment....
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 22:11   #16
Whyman
Premier Member

Thanks for the info guys I am waiting to buy a battery just before we go away in September. I have settled on a 100ah Yuasa battery.

Just doing some checking and cleaning on the roof and I found that two of the feet for the solar panel had detached themselves from the roof. The roof was damp and surface tension of the water was holding the two feet but once raised it was clear from the dust and debris under them that they had been loose for some time.

I have removed the whole panel and cleaned everything up. Waiting for some Silkaflex adhesive/ sealant to arrive before fitting it back.

If you have one on your van the next time you are cleaning the roof it might be worth checking the feet on yours!
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 09:56   #17
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Thanks for the info guys I am waiting to buy a battery just before we go away in September. I have settled on a 100ah Yuasa battery.

Just doing some checking and cleaning on the roof and I found that two of the feet for the solar panel had detached themselves from the roof. The roof was damp and surface tension of the water was holding the two feet but once raised it was clear from the dust and debris under them that they had been loose for some time.

I have removed the whole panel and cleaned everything up. Waiting for some Silkaflex adhesive/ sealant to arrive before fitting it back.

If you have one on your van the next time you are cleaning the roof it might be worth checking the feet on yours!
How do you clean under your solar panel?
I made a small sponge swab by fixing a small spounge to a thin stick to do mine. Give it a good shake after cleaning to ensure its securely fixed. Something the caravan service doesnot seem to cover.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 11:07   #18
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I made a small sponge swab by fixing a small spounge to a thin stick to do mine. Give it a good shake after cleaning to ensure its securely fixed. Something the caravan service doesnot seem to cover.

Paul.
I usually use a wheel brush that is long enough to reach the Centre from either side. It was while doing this I noticed that one of the feet seemed to move.
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 22:52   #19
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post

Paul.
Do you remember those squarish paint pads that were popular a few years ago?
I found a couple in the garage and fixed piece of thin batten to one with gorilla glue.
It works better for cleaning under the solar panel than it did for putting paint on walls!

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 23:01   #20
Whyman
Premier Member

Two feet glued down today and panel fitted.

All appears to be well probably better than the original.

When refitting the screws it looks as though they original 2 inch screws were used to screw through a bracket and a thin aluminum section when a 1/2 inch screw would have been more than long enough, why?

Last edited by Whyman; Aug 6th, 2020 at 23:05.
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whyman For This Useful Post: