Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Map Updates - Engine Status?

Views : 924

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2021, 07:20   #1
anotheruser

Default Map Updates - Engine Status?

When adding map updates in the car, it says it could take a few hours.

Can I do the updates while driving along?
Or will leaving the key just inserted (not all the way) be okay?
Can I pause them if I don't drive for long enough that it needs?

Just worrying it may drain the battery.
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 09:23   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

It should update as you are driving along. If you stop the update should also stop and start again when you restart the car.

Sat nav is not normally available during the update.

You could also just run the car whilst parked up or alternatively put a battery charger on during the update process. You need to be in the car unless it is parked off the road.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 06:39   #3
anotheruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
It should update as you are driving along. If you stop the update should also stop and start again when you restart the car.

Sat nav is not normally available during the update.

You could also just run the car whilst parked up or alternatively put a battery charger on during the update process. You need to be in the car unless it is parked off the road.
Thanks.
I think when it says "could take several hours" is the bit that makes me not want to leave the car on the drive running for that amount of time. But I rarely use a sat nav anyway so will just leave it plugged in and updating whenever I'm out and about.

Journey to work is 40 mins each way, plus a test drive for at least an hour so I'm thinking it should update within that time.

Will it come up on the screen (interrupting whatever's on there like radio) when it's finished? Or if I choose the Satnav, it'll tell me it's still updating?
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 08:31   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Thanks.
I think when it says "could take several hours" is the bit that makes me not want to leave the car on the drive running for that amount of time.
The update speed depends on the speed of your mobile connection

You may be in a city with an excellent high speed mobile connection and it may download fast.
Or you may be in the country with a terrible mobile connection and it may download extremely slow.

That's why Volvo says "several hours". It covers all sizes of maps, from 100MB to 50 GB, and all network speeds.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 09:31   #5
anotheruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
The update speed depends on the speed of your mobile connection

You may be in a city with an excellent high speed mobile connection and it may download fast.
Or you may be in the country with a terrible mobile connection and it may download extremely slow.

That's why Volvo says "several hours". It covers all sizes of maps, from 100MB to 50 GB, and all network speeds.
But Volvo only gives the option to download the Europe map (which is 19GB)?

I guess this whole thing will be uploaded to the car, so would the "several hours" then be the transfer time between the memory stick and the car?

I won't be downloading it through my phone or WiFi :P

Sorry, perhaps I should have explained this before.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 22:16   #6
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Yes you are corrcet for the V40, you can only download the whole map.

When I do it for my wifes V40, I use the Windows 10 Pc onto a usb stick. That takes hours as we only have a slow 6Mb connection speed. I usually do that bit overnight as it can take 8 hours !!!

Then take the USB to the car, insert into the USB socket. I think it will then automatically take you to the update page on the central info screen ( not the one on the driver dash area). If it doesn't then just go to that page (sorry cant remember the detail right now) and seelct the options as needed.

The download then starts. Once started it will carry onm as long as the engine/igniton is on. The satnav etc will not be available during the download. The download will pause each time you shut down the engine or turn off the ignition. It will resume when you start again. You get a progress bar in the screeen whilst it is updating

It usually takes about 25-40 minutes to comeplet the update eahc time but does depend on how many changes there are etc. You are simply transferring the data from your USB to the cars hard drive.

At least that is how it works for her Dec 66 V40.

please excuse typos, doing this on a small keyboard!
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov04v For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:18   #7
Thekilt

As above, but our 2016 V40 took ages to update. Probably a few hours via the USB stick. I just left the USB stick in and whenever we went out in it the update would carry on. First attempt failed for some reason, but the second worked fine.

The update still didn’t have some roads on the map though which aren’t even new ones, have been around for 50 odd years. I don’t think the mapping company they use is great to be honest.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 13:35   #8
anotheruser

No, I doubt it although I read somewhere it was HERE maps, which are usually pretty good.

I use HERE maps on my phone as a Sat Nav on the odd occasion I need it. Not sure if it's still part of Nokia but it's a shame the interface isn't the same in the car. And it's likely I'll still use my phone as it'll just be quicker than the car.

But I am a stickler for updates and like the latest version of something (on an unrelated subject, the reason why I am putting off getting a Smart Meter!)