Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General > V40/XC '12> Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Infotainment will Shut Down Soon - Low Battery

Views : 3044

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 07:08   #1
anotheruser

Default Infotainment will Shut Down Soon - Low Battery

Car has been on the drive for a couple of weeks and bought it from a dealer before that, so probably isn't charged.

I have a 60 mile commute for 4 days this week (mostly motorway driving) and I've started updating the map system.

Just wanted to make sure there isn't anything else I should do apart from driving around to charge the battery?

The map system said it would take 1hr 40 mins, which will be about 3 journeys.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 09:45   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Update will stop and start again automatically when you restart the car again.

Low battery message switches off the info system to ensure that there is enough charge in the battery to start the car.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 11:27   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheruser View Post
Car has been on the drive for a couple of weeks and bought it from a dealer before that, so probably isn't charged.

I have a 60 mile commute for 4 days this week (mostly motorway driving) and I've started updating the map system.

Just wanted to make sure there isn't anything else I should do apart from driving around to charge the battery?

The map system said it would take 1hr 40 mins, which will be about 3 journeys.
you wont fully charge the battery by driving around , You need a charger with a 10A + output and leave it on 48 hours if you possibly can . The battery will get sulphated and the long charge will greatly improve this.

Volvo recommend the battery is charged every 2 weeks in these low use conditions...
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 21:23   #4
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you wont fully charge the battery by driving around , You need a charger with a 10A + output and leave it on 48 hours if you possibly can . The battery will get sulphated and the long charge will greatly improve this.

Volvo recommend the battery is charged every 2 weeks in these low use conditions...
Hi Clan; Given 99% of modern battery chargers are less than 10 Amp and 99.9% automatically reduce to a trickle-charge after the battery reaches a pre-defined status/time, (1) how does a user achieve a constant 10A charge; and, (2) can you confirm the battery is not disconnected for charging?

I understand Live-side goes to the copper plate attached to the battery live terminal and Negative-side goes to the engine-mounting bolt near the coolant tank. Is this correct?

Best regards, Jules
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 22:54   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianps View Post
Hi Clan; Given 99% of modern battery chargers are less than 10 Amp and 99.9% automatically reduce to a trickle-charge after the battery reaches a pre-defined status/time, (1) how does a user achieve a constant 10A charge; and, (2) can you confirm the battery is not disconnected for charging?

I understand Live-side goes to the copper plate attached to the battery live terminal and Negative-side goes to the engine-mounting bolt near the coolant tank. Is this correct?

Best regards, Jules
Yes that's correct . charger earth to the engine or dedicated earth charging post and positive to battery positive terminal , all with battery connected to car . The battery takes what it needs from the charger , the 10A will help in the early stages .. it will gradually reduce down to Milliamps at the end of the process. what I'm saying is don't get a small low output charger but preferably an old fashioned non computer controlled one . it needs to keep applying a current to the battery for a long time ...
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 23:06   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

This isn’t the 1980s, I am sure it will be fine.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 23:26   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
This isn’t the 1980s, I am sure it will be fine.
alas not with the new AGM batteries ... They can be recovered with the method I describe . leaving them flat for just a couple of days can greatly reduce their efficiency ..
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:01   #8
anotheruser

Just to bring this to a close, driving around and my commute to work helped with this.
Never seen the message again.