Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 831234

Replies : 6295

Users Viewing This Thread : don kalmar union

Old Mar 8th, 2021, 10:40   #341
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Cynical - not in the least.

It's highly likely that the car is "doing the rounds" among a small group of individuals, with the price increasing with every "sale"; usually each additional owner leads to a reduction in the car's worth but this one appears to defy economic logic.

I think I've mentioned it before, but in the days before the internet cars were often traded around "dealers" (and I use the term in quotes) with each adding a chunk onto the asking price until a punter (aka a mug) bought it.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 05:13   #342
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It looks like that Japanese import car isn’t selling as well as the dealer hoped, it is for auction now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240....m46890.l49292

It is at £3,000 at the moment with 9 days to go. It will be interesting to see what it makes, I’d have thought £3,000 would be cheap and £5,000 expensive.

:-)
I have just noticed the Japanese import car is for sale on the chap’s website for £7,000! That is more than just a little bit optimistic I think:

https://robburkecars.co.uk/product/1...ar-on-its-way/

I still wonder why people think 30 year old cars are worth so much.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 10th, 2021 at 05:40. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 10:28   #343
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I have just noticed the Japanese import car is for sale on the chap’s website for £7,000! That is more than just a little bit optimistic I think:

In general i'd say they're not, not yet anyway. However when you consider the much tighter emissions regs in Japan, lack of salt on the roads etc and the fact the Japanese (in general) look after their cars much better than we do, you'd effectively be buying a 60k mile car that looks and drives like 3 years old. To all intents and purposes, compared to a native UK car, that's what you'd be getting.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 15:25   #344
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
In general i'd say they're not, not yet anyway. However when you consider the much tighter emissions regs in Japan, lack of salt on the roads etc and the fact the Japanese (in general) look after their cars much better than we do, you'd effectively be buying a 60k mile car that looks and drives like 3 years old. To all intents and purposes, compared to a native UK car, that's what you'd be getting.
... actually I quite like the Japanese import 240 - the only real downside would be a KPH speedometer and odometer (and I suppose no history).

There is a big gap between the £7,000 asking price and the £3,200 current bid. If I didn't have the RB I might have offered up to £3,500 - but I don't know that the dealer would have sold at that price.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 15:43   #345
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:

That car ticks some boxes. The problem to my mind is the cost and time of keeping it in such apparently good condition. Therefore surely it is not going to truly hold its price. Not the same as value.

If I were willing to cash in a bit of the pension fund, it would yes be worth so much. But on the basis of having the enjoyment of it. Devil may care re financial value.

.... I will not be buying. A car is not high enough on my priorities ... well not at the moment ....

Stephen

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 15:56   #346
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... actually I quite like the Japanese import 240 - the only real downside would be a KPH speedometer and odometer (and I suppose no history).

There is a big gap between the £7,000 asking price and the £3,200 current bid. If I didn't have the RB I might have offered up to £3,500 - but I don't know that the dealer would have sold at that price.
The KPH speedo could be easily changed Alan as i'm sure you're aware. However it might be easier to just add conversion marks for the relevant speed limits - 50kmh, 64kmh, 80, 100 and 110kmh for the 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70mph speed limits but the other problem might be lack of rear frog lights. I don't think they were mandatory in Japan until much later so weren't fitted to start with. That said, being a Volvo they probably had them anyway.

He also has a couple of nice 4.0 XJ40 Sovereigns for £7-8k, for me that all depends on Mr Camelot and tonights draw!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 16:11   #347
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
.... the other problem might be lack of rear frog lights. ....

Interesting Dave.

The rear lamps now you mention them, are they the same overall shape as UK models? Would spares by a problem? They look good, very good look, but to own them in the UK ...... ??

I like the car.

Stephen

The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 16:20   #348
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Interesting Dave.

The rear lamps now you mention them, are they the same overall shape as UK models? Would spares by a problem? They look good, very good look, but to own them in the UK ...... ??

I like the car.

Stephen

They certainly look the same, i can't see a rear fog switch in the upper centre console but it might be just out of shot on the view showing the light switch and steering wheel/instruments.

If it doesn't then like many other JDM imports, it would have to have an aftermarket rear fog light for the MoT no doubt on an aftermarket switch in the dash somewhere.

Spares shouldn't be a major problem although i know later 940s had a specific front pipe/catalytic converter for the JDM models, different to UK models. Also with my other passion, the Rover 800, many parts for that were bespoke for JDM models including oddly, the headlamp lenses. Whether the same applies to Volvo or not i don't know but they have a slightly different beam pattern so just scrape a pass on the UK MoT usually.
Other oddities are the CCU which has a different part number (although the basic unit is identical) to the UK versions, that would be a software fix if it presented any problems or on an early enough car, a simple swap to a used UK spec CCU if you could find one.
The other one i probably wouldn't change is the front number plate plinth on the 800 to mount the square Japanese number plates. Square UK plates are available that fit nicely and give a slightly different front end view.

Old Mar 10th, 2021, 16:37   #349
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Just found this in a thread in the 7/900 area, for £8k you could have another JDM import but a model above top of the range :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164747291407

It's about time Camelot did something and gave me a serious win! Especially with so many lovely cars around!

Old Mar 10th, 2021, 16:39   #350
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Dave

As the lamps wrap around they also appear to slope rather nicely on their leading edge ....

Stephen