Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Simons Exhaust v Standard Exhaust

Views : 9742

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2013, 16:30   #1
kev240
Master Member

Question Simons Exhaust v Standard Exhaust

Will soon need to replace the exhaust on my 122S, was thinking of putting on a Simons Exhaust, (single downpipe), are there any advantages over the standard system, and is there more noise from the Simons system, they both appear to cost more or less the same.
Thanks,
Kevin.
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 20:49   #2
Alf ista
Premier Member

Its a well made exhaust. Yes it is a bit noisier, but a nicer noise to some. It does release more power, that is the big advantage. I noticed a big difference when I changed over. The tailpipe treatment dosent suit all though. Slightly boy racerish, but not too bad. I recomend it anyway, lets see what everyone else thinks.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 21:07   #3
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

its a sporty sound thats for sure but no way near boy racer now back in the day i had a old mk1 ford festa straight through to a big bore now that was boy racer at its peak two villages away you could hear me coming lol

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 22:16   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would never ever consider fitting a original exhsut to either a B18 or B20 as they are way undersized and cause massive heat build up on the exhaust valves.

The simons is a good system but the steel quality has gone down hill big time. I have a nearly 20 year old system that has been through two back boxes. A couple of systems from around 5-6 years ago did not manage 2 years before the back box was compeltly shot and teh rest lasted another 18 months before falling apart!

For the above reason I will now only fit a heavy gauge stainless steel system that is nicely flowed like the Simons but with the advantage of being made from propper metal
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 22:35   #5
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I would never ever consider fitting a original exhsut to either a B18 or B20 as they are way undersized and cause massive heat build up on the exhaust valves.

The simons is a good system but the steel quality has gone down hill big time. I have a nearly 20 year old system that has been through two back boxes. A couple of systems from around 5-6 years ago did not manage 2 years before the back box was compeltly shot and teh rest lasted another 18 months before falling apart!

For the above reason I will now only fit a heavy gauge stainless steel system that is nicely flowed like the Simons but with the advantage of being made from propper metal
I totally agree with you there classicswede if you have the money spend it wisley on a good system and then it will last the distance and in long run will save you money i know at the time we all think it how much ! but quality lasts and cheap stuff just has a short shelf life .

if your planning on keeping the car i would get a top spec system like the stainless but failing that i always thought a good option was a 4-2-1 manifolid tapped into a centre section of a 123gt rocks and is solid use that and with the branch over axle you can then use a sweet stainless back box as a cheaper choice but still a half decent setup of course thats fine for a amazon maybe a close way for a p1800 thats my plan with my restro im doing atm

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:36   #6
davidw6092

Default simons exhaust

The simons sports system is generally good,but,they do tend to catch on the rear floor area just in front of the middle hangers.Also when the rear box rots out (which doesnt take too long)I have generally replaced it with something of a similar size and noticed an increase in power and more torque low down.
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:55   #7
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Fitted a Simons system about a year ago and had some fun getting it to fit over the axle. Ended up jacking the body as high as I could fitting and then slightly twisting the pipe. I like the sound the system makes and certainly noticed an increase in power.
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 09:22   #8
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonjulian View Post
Fitted a Simons system about a year ago and had some fun getting it to fit over the axle. Ended up jacking the body as high as I could fitting and then slightly twisting the pipe. I like the sound the system makes and certainly noticed an increase in power.
I had exactly the same problem when I fitted my system... it took a fair bit of fiddling and swearing to get the rear pipe in position.

I’d recommend the Simonz system though: it seems to free up a bit of power and has a nice ‘burble’ without sound overly boy racer (mine is mated to a Simonz 4 branch exhaust manifold).

Mine has been on the car for almost 2 years and I’ve not noticed any holes or rot yet.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 13:24   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Kevin. Look on page 5 of the current Driver and maybe consider a stainless system. Standard is a similar price to a Simons and there is a larger bore system for about £90 extra. Go for the stainless clamps if you get one.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 23:42   #10
PenR

I have the Simons ready to fit but in my experience its the manifold that 'extracts' most from the engine. So, when cash allows I will be getting a 4 branch. Anyone got any reccomendations??
PenR
PenR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PenR For This Useful Post: