Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

pv 544 OR 444 WANTED

Views : 2087

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2021, 22:24   #1
PVPVPV

Default pv 544 OR 444 WANTED

Hello I am looking for a PV for every day use. Really looking for a car with a B18 engine 4 speed gearbox and 12v electrics - so a later PV544 or a PV444 that has been "upgraded". I already have a fragile 1950s car (not a Volvo) in the garage so this one has to need maintenance rather than a rebuild.
I am not really in the market for a rally car - quite happy with single carb performance. New to this forum and almost to Volvos. Only previous ownership a 164 - totally reliable apart from sun roof (shouldn't have gone through that car wash!) but not really my style of car.
PVPVPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 15:18   #2
WSU303

Have you seen this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1958-Volv...4/313391007139 ?

Admittedly, it's an earlier 544, with a B16 engine, and possibly 3 speed 'box, but it looks pretty immaculate from the pics and video (https://youtu.be/8ipjUDVMY58) - even the interior looks smart, which is unusual!

I'm nothing to do with the seller by the way, just noticed it on my eBay travels
WSU303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 15:55   #3
WSU303

Failing that, another option would be to import one from the continent - there seem to be many nice examples in Holland at the moment : https://www.theparking-cars.co.uk/us...lvo-pv544.html - for when we can travel again!
WSU303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 19:25   #4
old fart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU303 View Post
Failing that, another option would be to import one from the continent - there seem to be many nice examples in Holland at the moment : https://www.theparking-cars.co.uk/us...lvo-pv544.html - for when we can travel again!
Bear in mind you will now have to pay duties on any cars imported from the EU now, plus vat on the transport costs.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 20:59   #5
PVPVPV

Default Yes I have had a look at that one

Thanks for taking the trouble to find a suitable car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU303 View Post
Have you seen this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1958-Volv...4/313391007139 ?

Admittedly, it's an earlier 544, with a B16 engine, and possibly 3 speed 'box, but it looks pretty immaculate from the pics and video (https://youtu.be/8ipjUDVMY58) - even the interior looks smart, which is unusual!

I'm nothing to do with the seller by the way, just noticed it on my eBay travels
Not to be confused with this one! https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1268454
If I was closer to Portsmouth I would look at it. I was a bit put off by the circumstantial evidence that the person he got this off clearly claimed a higher mileage. When I mentioned this to Trojan Cars they were amazed at the suggestion it should be listed at the correct mileage. So the good news is that it is 38000 kilometres - the bad that you need to add 100000 to that to get its mileage a month or so ago.
I agree it does look very good in the photos and on video.
The 1600 engine and the 3 speed box are also a bit of an issue. The later 1800 engine and 4 speed box would make it easier to keep on the road.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 21:07   #6
PVPVPV

I am sure the continent particularly Sweden an Holland provide much more variety than the UK. We never really imported them. Swedes seem prepared to pay quite high prices now.
Importing and exporting (I have recently done both via Ebay - not cars!) has suddenly become more complex and expensive. People didn't seem to grasp the idea that non tariff does not mean no VAT. It may settle down but I think we will need to wait a while for the post Brexit awkwardness and of course the Covid chaos to calm down - so I am holding out for something in the UK.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 17:26   #7
kishor kassie

Default Pv544

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPVPV View Post
Hello I am looking for a PV for every day use. Really looking for a car with a B18 engine 4 speed gearbox and 12v electrics - so a later PV544 or a PV444 that has been "upgraded". I already have a fragile 1950s car (not a Volvo) in the garage so this one has to need maintenance rather than a rebuild.
I am not really in the market for a rally car - quite happy with single carb performance. New to this forum and almost to Volvos. Only previous ownership a 164 - totally reliable apart from sun roof (shouldn't have gone through that car wash!) but not really my style of car.
Hi. I have a few PVs, both PV444 and PV544s. I have a runner on a B18, 1964 model, runs well, looks neat, only needs the 2 front seats to be re-upholstered
I have a 6 Volt PV that was a one owner from new, just removed the wings to respray
I have a PV444, 6 Volt, 3 speed, perfect runner, has some rust to the left sill and in the boot, perfect runner
Finally, I have an immaculate condition, excellent runner, was one owner before me.
If you send me your number, I can send you photos if you are keen. Thanks Kassie 07828879494
kishor kassie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kishor kassie For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 23:48   #8
PVPVPV

Default I took the plunge!

I spent a lot of time humming and hahing and watching the few PVs that were being bought and sold as they moved from eBay to Car and Classic or vice versa. I finally decided on a 1964 Sport that was first registered in the UK in 2011 and had Neil Oatley of McClaren fame among its illustrious owners. Buying was very straightforward but my wife tells me that the sellers were somewhat bemused by the fact that I intended to drive it back to Holmfirth from Herefordshire the long way, particularly when they noticed that I had set off in third. It survived the trip and so did I. My first impressions were of a rather fierce clutch and rather gentle brakes. I seem to have got used to the clutch and plan for the brakes but a disc conversion is on my longer term "to do" list.
So far it has met my expectations and feels like a car that could comfortably be used on shorter journeys - I use it most days and possibly for longer ones more occasionally.
I think it has had some good treatment by its previous owners but most original features have been retained.
The Following User Says Thank You to PVPVPV For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 23:50   #9
PVPVPV

And now the 3 speed 1600 is back on Ebay for £12000

Last edited by PVPVPV; Sep 21st, 2021 at 23:52. Reason: confusing
The Following User Says Thank You to PVPVPV For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 14:32   #10
arcturus
arcturus

Smile

For the right price you could have this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210526_03 (2).jpg (238.9 KB, 19 views)