Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No DIM and Position Lamp fuse keeps blowing

Views : 616

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2018, 01:49   #1
jket1961

Default No DIM and Position Lamp fuse keeps blowing

I just replaced my heater core, uneventful straightforward procedure. When I reconnected battery however, the DIM wasn't working at all and the Position Lamp fuse in the fuse block under the hood had blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. Only when I removed the DIM would the fuse NOT blow. Is it possible that by removing and replacing the DIM during the heater core replacement that I created a short in the DIM itself? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by jket1961; Oct 16th, 2018 at 01:59.
jket1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 11:49   #2
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jket1961 View Post
I just replaced my heater core, uneventful straightforward procedure. When I reconnected battery however, the DIM wasn't working at all and the Position Lamp fuse in the fuse block under the hood had blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. Only when I removed the DIM would the fuse NOT blow. Is it possible that by removing and replacing the DIM during the heater core replacement that I created a short in the DIM itself? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Strange, maybe check the female connectors in each position lamp. They are exposed to the elements a bit so maybe one of them has corroded and shorted...doubt you would have done anything to the dim.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 12:08   #3
gatos
Premier Member

What year is your car. If it is up to mid 2002, then you have the old style DIM, with those flimsy connectors at the back. It's so easy to misalign them if not careful. Try removing the DIM, and making sure those two plastic connector are fitted properly at the back of the dashboard and try fitting back on the DIM and see what happens. If this does not solve your problem, you will have to check the wiring behind the dashboard. It might be the case that something was slightly cut and making contact somewhere

In case your car is post mid-2002, with the newer proper plastic connector that clip of the DIM, then not sure.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 04:07   #4
jket1961

Default No DIM Display Solved

The DIM is now functioning as it should. As it turned out, there are two identical plug in connectors under the dash; one goes to the fuse block and the other to the CEM. Apparently when I put everything back together, I inadvertently reversed the two connectors (put the CEM plug into the fuse block and vice versa). The CEM and fuse block are in very close proximity to each other. It was always my understanding that this couldn't occur due to the plugs and sockets of the various components being different from each other making it impossible for this to happen. Wrong!!!! It's a lesson that I won't soon forget and hopefully this info will be of assistance for anyone running into this issue in future!
jket1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jket1961 For This Useful Post: