Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 Brakes & Clutch

Views : 3676

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 00:45   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: 360 Brakes & Clutch

Hi Mark!

I was going for the 440 setup on a cost basis....but then I saw the magic word 'Brembo' in your reply!
What do you get for £49? At that price, presumably just the disk?

A replacement standard clutch it is then! Just out of interest, do you have any leads on an uprated one? If you did hit trouble with too much power, could you just fit a fatter spring? What happened to Kev's downpipe? I'm probably getting powerflow to sort mine, but if you have any other advice there...Kev's trying for 400bhp? The guy is clearly mad :)

Let me know if you're heading for Donnington or Rockingham anytime - 'term time', I'm not far away, and we must catch up!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 01:01   #22
TonyS

Sill rot can be a bit terminal. Anyone can fix them up for MOT to cover problems, but you have to cut out alot to get rid of it properly and get the weld to take well.

On my project car I've cut out the sills from a good car and am considering how to weld these in and retain all the strength. ie you can't get at the inner bits.

Don't get aftermarket repair sill section, these are just a waste of time.

One piece of advice, keep the ventilation fan on, it dries out the sills (you can feel the air commiing out if you put the fan up full). Blast in some waxol once its all repaired.

If you can get a 360 with good original sills, rustproof them immediately.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 10:49   #23
360s

for £49 you just get 1 disk, this was halfords price though and they rip u off bigtime. i then had to drill the holes for the studs to match. you would need 15" wheels with this disk.

as for clutches, i was looking at one place that can make them for you if you just give them the old one, cant remember the name now but its in this country. i'll see how mine goes once the turbos on, might have to upgrade.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 00:08   #24
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: 360 Brakes & Clutch

How much did the complete set up cost you per corner? Which pads are you using?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:04   #25
Wilson

Default Clutch Judder

It's true that there is a bit of judder from the 360's however I just think it adds to their quirky character.
I've had mine for 14 months, bought it in 2006 and it only has 36000 miles on the clock. I had to replace my clutch last year but it wasn't juddering, rather it felt as all clutches do when they need replacing; it wasn't biting much and it just didn't feel right. I was stuck in traffic today for 2 hours in London, at one point before I turned on the heaters to draw heat from the engine, I expereinced a little judder over a 5 minute period, however once I was on a fast moving road, there was no more judder. I think that heat may have something to do with it. I'm not too worried, I used to drive Fords and Vauxhalls with their awkard, clunky gear changes. I think the little (and not so little) problems the 360's have adds to their unpredictability. They certainly make motoring fun.

Simon
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 18:03   #26
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

james how you doing?

only just saw this thread, still not got the 360 fully tuned yet, have junked the old 16v fuel inj and ign setup and now got the omex on and barely running, just waiting for some money so i can get the car tuned on the rolling road.

Anyway yup the brakes etc, the vw corrado setup was fairly easy, and its the four pot wilwood dynalites that help stop more than anything.

the clutch i know you can get a ap racing clutch for ours, saw one on a b230 at auto sport 2 years ago here a linky to a pic i took

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2510/p1010051eb5.jpg

if you are ever down near the gatwick area, just give me some notice and you are welcome to come and have a look around the car, get some ideas, pics etc, just pm me in here and ill get back to you
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 00:19   #27
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Massive bump - 4 year old thread Funny thing is, I now have Kev's brakes waiting for a rainy day I'm good thanks Mark, yourself? It'd be good to meet up sometime. We had a very interesting evening with Kev, hearing about his new project. Hopefully he also found it interesting being able to have a poke over Ryan's (tweaked) 740 Turbo. Next up we're fitting programmable management, and then we'll see where 20-25psi of boost gets us! If you're going to Power Engineering to get it tuned, say hi to Iain for me.

If anyone is wondering how I resolved the problems I rather nonsensically mumbled about back then...well the brakes got a fluid change, and have been AOK ever since (even with 140bhp now). They start to cook after 10-15 mins really hard road use, but that's not so bad - it's very usually that traffic conditions permit you to use the brakes that hard. I think I'll need a more serious upgrade when the B230 turbo lump goes in, though!

As for the clutch...the extra power has pretty much finished it off, and a new one is more or less my next job, but the juddering pretty much went away all by itself shortly after I posted that. Odd!

cheers

James
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 23:03   #28
36016v
SILVER S40 T5 2005

spoke to P.E. and they recommended another bloke up northampton somewhere who is a whizz programming the omex eng man and he qouted about £500, trouble is the missus keeps wanting money for the hols, kinda sucks having a wife sometimes. like i say anytime your down my way give us a shout and pop in, hope your project is going well, cheers
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 00:19   #29
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'll have to do that

The car is going ok. I'm just doing some cosmetic work on it at present. Fingers crossed I'll finally be dropping the turbo lump in this winter. 2.3 lump & EFI swap first, then adding the turbo and pipework later.

cheers

James