Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote Key Fob Reprogramming

Views : 36314

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 13:09   #1
JamesM81

Default Remote Key Fob Reprogramming

I recently bought a March 2001 S40 T4 that didn't come with any remote key fobs. I just assumed that it would have these and didn't realise until I had paid for the car. I was hoping to buy a couple of used fobs and get these reprogrammed but have been told by several auto locksmiths that only Volvo dealers can do this and was then told by a Volvo dealer that they can't guarantee that reprogramming used ones will work and that the best thing to do is to get new ones from them and for them to program them which will work out at around £208 plus VAT for the pair. Is this right? Or should I be able to buy used ones and take them to a Volvo dealer and get them reprogrammed for my car? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
JamesM81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 16:43   #2
sjfedex

Had the same problem with my S40 2003...only came with 1 key fob..so had to buy new fob and had a key-blade cut,then programmed at Volvo...to use as a back-up... It seems that once a key fob has been programmed once with the software to a car..it cannot be reprogrammed again..Not 100% sure..if someone can comfirm this is the case....I got my new fob and keyblade from FRF Swansea..Rufe is the guy to contact..cost about £100,then programmed locally at Volvo dealer..only takes 30mins..
rgds
sjfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 16:52   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfedex View Post
Had the same problem with my S40 2003...only came with 1 key fob..so had to buy new fob and had a key-blade cut,then programmed at Volvo...to use as a back-up... It seems that once a key fob has been programmed once with the software to a car..it cannot be reprogrammed again..Not 100% sure..if someone can comfirm this is the case....I got my new fob and keyblade from FRF Swansea..Rufe is the guy to contact..cost about £100,then programmed locally at Volvo dealer..only takes 30mins..
rgds
Or an even easier and cheaper way. Find a sale for two fobs and the receiver unit from a car that is being broken and replace them in your car. It works a treat and at a fraction of the cost
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 21:59   #4
swithers

Hi.. On this yr of car the fob can be reprogramed by a volvo dealer . Had one done on mine .. (i work in a volvo dealer) They need to down load new software. Hope this helps ...
swithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 00:53   #5
JamesM81

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithers View Post
Hi.. On this yr of car the fob can be reprogramed by a volvo dealer . Had one done on mine .. (i work in a volvo dealer) They need to down load new software. Hope this helps ...
That's really handy to know. Would the particular person doing the programming need to know anything particular (that most might not know) to be able to reprogram rather than just program? Only asking as I'd need to be 100% sure that it'd work as they said I'd still need to pay for the software download and labour even if it didn't work
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 11:02   #6
swithers

Hi, Just needs to be a volvo dealer as they have to order soft ware to recode the remote..
swithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 15:24   #7
JamesM81

Ok thanks, that's really helpful :-)
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 03:51   #8
rio

Hi every one i got this info from my friends in Europe my be it help to all you

Make sure all doors are closed, as well as the hood. Make sure the tailgate or trunk is locked. Get into the car and lock all doors.

Insert the key and turn it from the insertion position (position I) to the "on" position (position II - not the "start" position) five times. In other words, all the dash lights come on, but the engine doesn’t start. When you turn the key to ON the fifth time, leave it there. You have 10 seconds to perform this whole step.

Hold down each remote button for a second or two, so the car identifies those buttons as the ones to respond to. If you want multiple remotes to work for that car, you’ll need to hit the buttons on each of them in rapid succession (all within 5 seconds) as well. You can program up to three remotes per car.

Get new batteries if the above doesn’t work, and try it again. If you already have new batteries in the remote, then proceed to the next step.

Press and hold down the odometer reset button.

Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

Release the odometer button while the service reminder light (SRL) flashes. Don’t wait until the flashing stops to release the odometer button. If you did that, you waited too long.

Turn the ignition off.
rio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:58   #9
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Best post ever!

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 13:16   #10
CopthorneMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
Hi every one i got this info from my friends in Europe my be it help to all you

Make sure all doors are closed, as well as the hood. Make sure the tailgate or trunk is locked. Get into the car and lock all doors.

Insert the key and turn it from the insertion position (position I) to the "on" position (position II - not the "start" position) five times. In other words, all the dash lights come on, but the engine doesn’t start. When you turn the key to ON the fifth time, leave it there. You have 10 seconds to perform this whole step.

Hold down each remote button for a second or two, so the car identifies those buttons as the ones to respond to. If you want multiple remotes to work for that car, you’ll need to hit the buttons on each of them in rapid succession (all within 5 seconds) as well. You can program up to three remotes per car.

Get new batteries if the above doesn’t work, and try it again. If you already have new batteries in the remote, then proceed to the next step.

Press and hold down the odometer reset button.

Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.

Release the odometer button while the service reminder light (SRL) flashes. Don’t wait until the flashing stops to release the odometer button. If you did that, you waited too long.

Turn the ignition off.
Would be interesting to hear if anyone has actually tried this procedure with an UK S40 / V40 and if it worked or not. I am sure there are quite a few of us with only one remote at the moment but who do not want to pay out £100s to the local Volvo franchise.
CopthorneMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CopthorneMike For This Useful Post: