Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2010 C30 - Engine System Service Required

Views : 6890

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2017, 11:50   #1
Ignatz

Default 2010 C30 - Engine System Service Required

I had this message pop up yesterday, no additional warning symbols appeared on the dash. The car had it's regular service at 78k with a trusted local garage recently, and I've booked it in for Monday to have it hooked up to the diagnostics. From what I've gleaned here and on other forums, it seems nothing to be concerned about and might need as little as a simple reset. other suggestions point to overfilling oil as a possible source but others dismiss this. Has anyone had experience of this please?
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 12:02   #2
Strangeman24

Default Snap!

Interested to know the Out come of this as my C30 D5 has just popped up the same message.

Seem to be getting some vibration under acceleration, engine related?
Strangeman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 13:23   #3
iainmd

What engine is in your C30?

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 14:10   #4
Ignatz

Absolutely no other symptoms or warning lights. The message first appeared when I parked after a thirty minute journey yesterday. It then occurred three or four times further over the next couple of hours.
I will get around to trying the reset procedure you can do yourself, also will check if overfilled with oil. And yes, I'll post when I get an outcome after seeing my garage early next week.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 14:11   #5
Ignatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
What engine is in your C30?
Hi Iain,

I have the 1.6D Start/Stop engine in my C30.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 15:46   #6
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
I had this message pop up yesterday, no additional warning symbols appeared on the dash. The car had it's regular service at 78k with a trusted local garage recently, and I've booked it in for Monday to have it hooked up to the diagnostics. From what I've gleaned here and on other forums, it seems nothing to be concerned about and might need as little as a simple reset. other suggestions point to overfilling oil as a possible source but others dismiss this. Has anyone had experience of this please?
Experience of this? Err...sadly, yes. Quite a lot.

In my case after a quarter of a years investigation it turned out the fuel pump (driven directly off the engine block on the 2.0D) was leaking fuel past a faulty seal into the block itself resulting in diluted engine oil.

Apparently I'm one of only 3 people on the planet to have experienced this type of pump failure. But you might be the fourth - assuming the 1.6D is a scaled down 2.0D and the pump is driven in the same way. The error codes often pertained to oil quality, but not always.

I didn't see the message again until about 112,000km (10,000km is the service interval here in SA) and as the oil was due for a change, I put it down to that. I have subsequently changed the oil but the message is still there. I've learned to live with it.

It's possible this message covers a range of issues. Someone somewhere must have a list of faults that could trigger this particular message.

My car had covered about 102,000km by the time it was eventually fixed. The whole experience left such a bitter taste in my mouth I swore I'd never go back to a Volvo dealer - and I haven't, until today.

Almost 4 years later, I've decided to forgive and forget. It's at a new dealer getting new timing and auxiliary belts. They seem like a nice enough bunch of lads. Because of the rather eye-watering costs I'm getting the car serviced in stages. If and when it gets it's codes read I'll post back on the cause of the current ESSR message.

Good luck!
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 20:29   #7
Ignatz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdc View Post
Apparently I'm one of only 3 people on the planet to have experienced this type of pump failure. But you might be the fourth
Fingers crossed then Chris! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 20:37   #8
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Hi Iain,

I have the 1.6D Start/Stop engine in my C30.
did your trusted garage advise that the DPF is due at 75k, or that the additive may need topping up? and that not changing the DPF on time can lead to some expensive bills....

It could be as simple as overfilling the oil, but it could be something as complex as the engine is buggered! the joys of generic fault messages, if its driving normal I'm going to take a stab in the dark that its DPF related.

...or another stab in the dark, when was the fuel filter last changed?

....on the other probably best to avoid speculation and see what the diagnostics say

Last edited by steadvex; Dec 7th, 2017 at 20:39.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 20:46   #9
Ignatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
did your trusted garage advise that the DPF is due at 75k, or that the additive may need topping up? and that not changing the DPF on time can lead to some expensive bills....

It could be as simple as overfilling the oil, but it could be something as complex as the engine is buggered! the joys of generic fault messages, if its driving normal I'm going to take a stab in the dark that its DPF related.

...or another stab in the dark, when was the fuel filter last changed?

....on the other probably best to avoid speculation and see what the diagnostics say
I had it dealer serviced from new, after four years I swapped to a local garage that I've use ever since. I know the DPF is due at 75k. No worries yet, but I've already sourced the replacement and plan to change it next year. I live out in the sticks, so most journeys are 30 mins plus and on open roads which help keep the DPF ticking over I hope. I also know that unlike the 2.0D, the 1.6D accumulates soot and therefore needs Eolysis changing periodically; this has been done in line with service intervals. The fuel filter has been changed in the last 12 months. The only problem I had around a year ago was that one of the small pipes from the DPF had come away. Three or four times the engine completely died under load (overtaking or accelerating uphill), but with the pipes replaced it's been fine since. New exhaust system earlier this year too.
I did a forty mile round journey today on open roads. The message appeared once twice on the outbound and return journey. No other dash symbols or symptoms. My initial thoughts when it first appeared were DPF. Another poster elsewhere in the forums cited better fuel economy as a result of replacing it. Mine has always returned 50-55mpg (measured myself, not the OBC) and still does. Monday will bring some more insight with the diagnostics. Thanks for posting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 21:45   #10
chrisdc

Well, I got my (spotlessly clean) car back today and they seem to have done a good job. The workshop foreman did the work himself and I must say, my confidence in Volvo service personnel has risen considerably.

I did have a brief chat with the foreman but unfortunately it was cut short by the arrival of another customer - wanting to collect the car said foreman was still busy with. So I didn't get to find out about the codes. But to the man's credit, he did say he would be happy to continue the conversation on Monday. I think I'll send them a mail because I feel a bit bad about interrupting the man while he's working.

Actually, I wasn't sure the car would be read at all as I'd specified (due to cost) belts only. On the way home, no messages at all. Usually I can't even get to the end of the road before ESSR appears. So they must have read them and reset the service indicator too. And as the oil has done less than 1000km, all should be just dandy.

But rest assured, those ESSR messages are near and dear to my heart, and I will be watching closely. If memory serves, in the bad old days, I'd know within a couple thousand km at the most.

Tags
engine system service req