Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driving styles - automatic v70

Views : 1884

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2017, 16:51   #11
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
Well I’d like to know what that is as I tow quote alot
should have said FOR BEING TOWED
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 22:49   #12
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Might be worth reading the owners manual so as to understand the correct use of the gearbox
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 04:11   #13
petey
Master Member

Hmmm, a couple of things here....

First off, NEVER tow an automatic transmission without the driven wheels on the road. So long as it’s out of park, the position of the gear-lever won’t make the slightest difference as the high pressure pump that engages gears via the valve body won’t be turning. And because the oil pump isn’t turning, the transmission lunrication isn’t active and your bands and clutches will quickly say goodnight without it. (most manual transmissions rely on splash lubrication, but an automatic gear cluster is orders of magnitude more complicated and has a lubrication system similar to an engine. Towing an automatic is analogous to running an engine without the oil pump running.) Neutral is there for the same it exists in a manual transmission (and also that the law requires a step between forward and reverse), that you can have the engine running without the car being driven should you ever need it. In practice you rarely do though.

Conceptually, quite apart from the needless wear on the transmission, shifting into neutral to coast will cost you fuel rather than save it. This is because the engine recognises that you are in a coast situation and no longer fuels the engine in the certain knowledge your coasting will keep it going. If in neutral, you have to provide fuel to the engine to keep it running.
The VW DSG box has a coast feature designed into it, but it only chooses this at very select times when it feels it would be beneficial. You do not have the same information as the ECU and are very unlikely to make that call correctly.

Brakes:- front discs are much more heavily loaded on an auto because if you say come flying down the off-slip from a motorway and descend to the lights at the exit roundabout only to get caught by them, you should use your handbrake to hold the car as constant pressure from the pads in one place on the discs causes a local hotspot which can lead to warping. I used to always stop short and then gently creep forward at barely perceptible speeds until the lights changed to avoid this.

In the Borg-Warner 65 days of my youth, the gear lever was connected to valve on the valve body and when you selected reverse, reverse was what you got. Nowadays, all shifts are controlled by a drive module ECU and reverse at 30 is considered an error state and is ignored. The gear lever is now a ‘request’ rather than a ‘command’. Park is usually a direct mechanical link, although that’s not the case increasingly these days. The parking pawl, where fitted, drops into a toothed wheel, but the wheel has rounded edges so that it’ll make a lot of noise at speeds over 5 mph or so, but won’t ever engage. I wouldn’t test this though.

I say where fitted, as on-manuals don’t HAVE to have a parking pawl/gear arrangement. Whilst the i3 does, Tesla instead have a simpler transmission and have a second brake calliper on the rear wheels. If you disconnect them, there’s no method to secure the vehicle when you leave it (ask me how I know)
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 05:26   #14
pookie
Premier Member

Regarding coasting in neutral, back in the day some cars had a freewheel system fitted. Saab and Rover spring to mind. Very interesting to drive as with the freewheel engaged there was no engine braking whatsoever. These were fitted as a means of increasing fuel consumption.

Salut!

Pookie
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 07:44   #15
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
Regarding coasting in neutral, back in the day some cars had a freewheel system fitted. Saab and Rover spring to mind. Very interesting to drive as with the freewheel engaged there was no engine braking whatsoever. These were fitted as a means of increasing fuel consumption.

Salut!

Pookie

Correct, in 1980 I had a Saab 95 Kombi with that feature and it worked superbly. How I wish that I still had it.

Mine was exactly like this one, even the colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saab-95-Kombi-1200x800-70a088fa0bb6d687.jpg (225.9 KB, 3 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Dec 6th, 2017 at 08:02.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 08:18   #16
Gazdkw
Master Member

If I’m driving downhill and applying a very slight amount of braking the revs will drop to tick over revs. Does this mean my v70 is out of gear? If I was to apply some throttle it would then select appropriate gear and revs would increase?

As for the braking, so your saying it’s best practice to apply handbrake in D mode to keep temperarily stationary? Part of me thinks this is illogical because the car is trying to move forward and only my handbrake to stop it. Would the Park function be a better use?
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 12:42   #17
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
These were fitted as a means of increasing fuel consumption.
Hopefully that should read 'reducing fuel consumption' or 'increasing fuel economy'
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 16:02   #18
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

I think I read somewhere that my aisin Werner (v70 P2) has a freewheeling capability that is controlled by ETM(ETM/ECM/TEM.. just who came up with this?) I mean by gearbox controller.
This is to accommodate both coasting and engine braking, as needed
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 20:12   #19
ANDREW54

Hi, I’ve always put the box into neutral when at lights, anticipation and patience means you don’t have to “ram” it into D when starting off. I’ve done 80,000 miles and not had any gearbox issues.
ANDREW54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 20:34   #20
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREW54 View Post
Hi, I’ve always put the box into neutral when at lights, anticipation and patience means you don’t have to “ram” it into D when starting off. I’ve done 80,000 miles and not had any gearbox issues.
If I anticipate remaining stationary for more than a few seconds, then so do I, 'ANDREW54'. At the very least, it avoids sitting there dazzling the car behind with one's brake lights at night! Similarly, I'll cancel the indicator if in use, switching it on again as the lights change in my favour.

Regards, John.