Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 135460

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 28th, 2018, 23:30   #441
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
read the owners hand book

It does not tell me anything about the problem even though i can read.

Now it has been rectified, dealership not very commital as to what the problem is/was.

Now all i can do is sit back and enjoy the driving experiance.
The Ridge Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 13:36   #442
scottnye2015

i have had a few issues with mine, luckily covered under warranty, but love the car. I love the way it looks, it is very comfortable to drive fast, great round corners especially with 4C suspension, and is super safe with my kids in the back. My wife has a gen 2 XC90 which is lovely but I actually prefer my pre facelift XC60.
scottnye2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 11:31   #443
AB100

Our 17MY XC60 has been brilliant overall.
So far no problems have surfaced and it has done several long distance european trips in comfort. Best seats for some while.
It is only a D4, and sounds like a tank, but goes well, best for those long distance cruises, and does 50mpg without effort.
Niggles? most of these have been well documented:-
Sat nav, better than many, not as good as TomTom etc.
Indications, why no tell-tale for lights etc?
Dealers, average, better than many.
Buy another? probably not.
Legislation will most likely dictate this, as well as the ever rising costs.
Its a shame that the Koreans can produce a cheaper car with a long warranty and a list of standard items included, perhaps the Chinese connection will influence Volvo?!!
AB
AB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 22:51   #444
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Smile

My bought new VEA 14.5MY has been faultless quite honestly, with the exception of the EGR issue which was sorted early on FOC. with no issues since on 100% supermarket fuel. TPMS a pointlessly oversensitive annoyance I had disabled. If it could predict an impending blowout, which non can, I might have kept it but was far too temperature sensitive to be of any value at all and continually sent up error messages. ( I hasten to add it was the short lived in tyre pressure sensitive system not the rotational type which was less troublesome) The car has performed superbly during the 90k I have done. I have the Aisin 8 speed auto which is a peach and I tow a considerable amount of the time. I am averaging approx 18k per year and change the g/box oil, as recommended, for towing every second year with a Volvo main dealer for £142 for the last 3 changes. The only thing I miss is the practicality of a dipstick , and the fact that the wipers do not park hidden beneath the trailing edge of the bonnet. Time will tell on the longevity of this engine but it has already out performed it's BMW 5 Series 2.5 predecessor and money pit!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 16:07   #445
mpxc60

Default New to Volvo, bought a 2011 XC60 AWD D5

Pretty happy with my new purchase. Better fit and finish than I was expecting and it's got a great engine.

Only niggle so far is the limited rear leg room when the front seats are slid as far back as they go.. I was roughly planning to keep this for 14 years until my second child turned 18, and I may still stick to that plan, but I'm beginning to think that the rear leg room in my case could become a bit tight if my kids get tall!
mpxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 07:14   #446
XC60 MKD

Default More positive less negative!

Me coming from VAG grupation: Golf V TDI, Audi A4 TDI M/T, Audi A4 A/t multitronic the VOLVO XC60 2.4 5cyl awd 2014. I can say that a lot of things went in to positive area.

-The car just makes me calmer, i drive it slower
-Absorbs the holes in the road great
-As becoming father of two we got the extra space trunk very good to have

The big issue that i have is the noise

-The engine is much noisier
-At speed of 140 km/h the sounds in the cabin are much louder (from me other cars)
-The steering can be better, at lower speed all is transferred to your hands, all the vibration.
-The gear box AISIN 6 speed, hmmm i don`t like it that much, there is that delay from start if you step on it, like empty for some millisecond!
hate it!

Overall i am happy with the Volvo, if i will buy again a suv? hmmm i really don't know

Last edited by XC60 MKD; May 1st, 2019 at 07:17.
XC60 MKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:14   #447
Stevepvolvo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60 MKD View Post
Me coming from VAG grupation: Golf V
-The gear box AISIN 6 speed, hmmm i don`t like it that much, there is that delay from start if you step on it, like empty for some millisecond!
:
Have you tried it in sport mode ? I only found this by accident recently when I went into manual mode but didn’t change gear and it feels like a completely different auto box
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevepvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2019, 21:40   #448
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Had a MY17 XC60 for 2 years as a company car.... then opted out and ran a 2008 XC70, then 2012 V40 (both with a 2003 XC90 in the background) and now just bought a XC60 2015 SE LUX and super excited.... :-)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 15:15   #449
Mrp140

Default A little disappointed....

Bought my 2016 XC60 r design lux nav D4 2wd a few months ago and sadly I'm a little disappointed.

I think the car looks great and to be honest this one of the main reasons I bought it. Seats are comfortable and it has a decent boot for my dog. The 2l engine pulls strongly and is reasonably smooth.

I find the 8 speed auto box infuriating. Its dim witted, slow to react and little jerky to change gear. Its terrible if you try and pull away with any sort of speed from junctions/roundabouts etc. You put your foot down, nothing happens for what feels like an age then it gathers up it skirts up and usually ends up with wheel spin and torque steer. I had a DSG box in a previous car which was much better.

I have had the polestar optimisation upgrade done to the car which was meant to improve the gearbox. To be honest, hardly notice the difference and would advise others to save their money and not bother.

I am also disappointed with the ride quality. Its is good on the motorway but show it any other kind of road, it crashes over even the smallest bump.

Silly little design features which are annoying include 'puddle lights' in the door mirrors that don't come on when you unlock the car. Having to adjust the passenger and driver climate control temp separately. Why cant I control both from just the drivers side? Having a dog in the boot regularly, I don't seem to be able to 'reduce guard' the alarm system permanently. I have to go through the menus every time. Try and drop the side mirror in reverse it has a mind of it own and moves too far down too slowly. Handbrake position was clearly an after thought by Volvo designers. Very minor things I know.

Finally, the build quality for a so called premium car is poor. The car is 3 years old now and the interior creaks and rattles much more than many cheaper and older cars I have driven. My wifes 4 year old Kia feels much more solidly built and was half the price.

Thinking I should of got a bimmer instead !!

Last edited by Mrp140; Nov 16th, 2019 at 15:30.
Mrp140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 22:23   #450
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrp140 View Post
Bought my 2016 XC60 r design lux nav D4 2wd a few months ago and sadly I'm a little disappointed.

I think the car looks great and to be honest this one of the main reasons I bought it. Seats are comfortable and it has a decent boot for my dog. The 2l engine pulls strongly and is reasonably smooth.

I find the 8 speed auto box infuriating. Its dim witted, slow to react and little jerky to change gear. Its terrible if you try and pull away with any sort of speed from junctions/roundabouts etc. You put your foot down, nothing happens for what feels like an age then it gathers up it skirts up and usually ends up with wheel spin and torque steer. I had a DSG box in a previous car which was much better.

I have had the polestar optimisation upgrade done to the car which was meant to improve the gearbox. To be honest, hardly notice the difference and would advise others to save their money and not bother.

I am also disappointed with the ride quality. Its is good on the motorway but show it any other kind of road, it crashes over even the smallest bump.

Silly little design features which are annoying include 'puddle lights' in the door mirrors that don't come on when you unlock the car. Having to adjust the passenger and driver climate control temp separately. Why cant I control both from just the drivers side? Having a dog in the boot regularly, I don't seem to be able to 'reduce guard' the alarm system permanently. I have to go through the menus every time. Try and drop the side mirror in reverse it has a mind of it own and moves too far down too slowly. Handbrake position was clearly an after thought by Volvo designers. Very minor things I know.

Finally, the build quality for a so called premium car is poor. The car is 3 years old now and the interior creaks and rattles much more than many cheaper and older cars I have driven. My wifes 4 year old Kia feels much more solidly built and was half the price.

Thinking I should of got a bimmer instead !!
A few points.... I've just got my 2nd XC60 but one of the cars I looked at in the interim was a Passat Alltrack. But very disappointed with the DSG box on that, and the reviews are poor as well. The Volvo boxes aren't the best but I don't think the DSG's are any better.

With regard to the ride quality - check the tyre pressures. Should eb 34-35 PSI. There is an Eco setting at 39 PSI which causes the behavoir you describe. However if ride quality is important to you - you should perhaps have not bought an R-Design, the suspension is stiffer and usually they have bigger wheels with lower profile tyres. The SE an SE Lux models ride much better (but less "sporting")

You can set the passenger and drivers heating controls to be synchronised.... this is in the manual.

I fully agree re: handbrake button though.... what had they been drinking?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 17th, 2019 at 22:25.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: