Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Active bending bi-xenons

Views : 1847

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2011, 20:09   #1
Piff

Default Active bending bi-xenons

Our 59plate C30 has active bending bi-xenons. Shortly after buying I noticed a couple of small chips in the bumper paint just below the lights.
Full marks to the main dealer - Bells of Bedford - they took the car back & touched up the paint.
Their explanation of the chips is that someone has previously removed the headlamps and in removal or re-fitting has damaged the paint. The reason for removal would have been to convert the headlamps for european use!
When I asked why there isn't a simple lever to re-direct the main beams, the dealer directed me to a page in the manual (page 179 if I remember correctly) where there are instructions. He added, there is no room behind the headlamp, beware of high voltage and best to get the conversion done by a main dealer!

Now, if I drive to france, I want to switch the beams over at Dover/Calais, not 2 days before at the main dealer!
So I had a look at the manual and a look under the bonnet and I cant even work out which headlamp is being shown in the manual picture and can't see the lever to switch the beams.

Anyone done this themselves? Advice appreciated.
Piff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 22:58   #2
Will22

Can't say for Volvo but on Audi cars with xenon lights it is only the passenger light that you change. Just move a leaver inside the light and it changes the beam from this \____ to this _____ The drivers side on our Audi cars are just _____ all the time.

Hope this makes sence.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will22 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 19:31   #3
msh

Hi

I have a 2004 s40. On the s40 you can remove the headlamp ( in fact you have to remove it to replace bulbs). It's very simple there is a metal peg above the rear of the headlight pull this peg out and the headlight will push forward as the light comes out disconnect the single plug. remove the cover on the rear of the light and there is a lever which will make the beam flat as WILL22 say. 2 minute job and very easy. hope this is the same on the c30
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 20:22   #4
Piff

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Hi

I have a 2004 s40. On the s40 you can remove the headlamp ( in fact you have to remove it to replace bulbs). It's very simple there is a metal peg above the rear of the headlight pull this peg out and the headlight will push forward as the light comes out disconnect the single plug. remove the cover on the rear of the light and there is a lever which will make the beam flat as WILL22 say. 2 minute job and very easy. hope this is the same on the c30
Yes - there is a metal "peg". The drivers side one lifts a couple of inches, the passenger side even more.
I'll have to have a look at the weekend.
What worries me is that previous owner damaged the bumper just below eack headlight - it appears they used a screwdriver to try to lever the lights out!
Main dealer mentioned very high voltage with bi xenons - is there a significant risk?
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 21:41   #5
Jaff87
it goes like ooft!

25000v is a bit of a risk.
Jaff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaff87 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 22:24   #6
Will22

Don't switch the car on when at the lights and you'll be ok, it's the starter pack that gives of the high voltage to get the bulb to light.
The Following User Says Thank You to Will22 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 09:59   #7
froggyted
Master Member

If the C30 is the same as the S40 you simply pull the metal pegs out completely, as per the manual (make a note of how they fit back), and then gently push the headlamp units out from the back. No levering with screwdrivers is required! Remove the wiring connectors as soon as you have moved the units far enough forward to access them, and whilst the units are still in situ, and then it's a simple case of pulling them out (use both hands because they are fairly heavy). With a bit of care you can remove them with no damage to the bumpers, but as a precaution, just lay an old towel or something over the area.

I don't have bi-xenon lamps, but would certainly be very wary of the voltages involved after reading the warnings in the manual.
froggyted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to froggyted For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 15:58   #8
Jo_Jo

Our dealer showed us how to take the lights out. So long as the car is switched off the headlights are sealed units. There's a pin (seems really odd that's all that holds them in) you just take out, get a Bic pen or similar to reach in and flick the switch over. We generally pull into the Tesco petrol station when we get to Dover and switch them over then. Once you do it once you know the drill and it is pretty simple albeit fiddly.
Why can't they go back to the 70's? I remember our old car had a switch on the dash.
Jo_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 20:23   #9
Will22

Last year I had an A8 from Audi while my car was in and we went over to Spain, when the car recognised it was in mainland europe the lights switched over, the same when we came back to the UK. The inteligent light on the Audi's are something else, where are we going to be in ten years time if lights can now know when your comming up to a bend in the road or a junction and change their direction.

BTW just wait till you try LED lights, if you think xenon are good!
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 20:35   #10
Piff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Last year I had an A8 from Audi while my car was in and we went over to Spain, when the car recognised it was in mainland europe the lights switched over, the same when we came back to the UK. The inteligent light on the Audi's are something else, where are we going to be in ten years time if lights can now know when your comming up to a bend in the road or a junction and change their direction.

BTW just wait till you try LED lights, if you think xenon are good!
Just had a new A6 glossy brochure to invite to launch of new model. There is mention in there of lights switching over automatically if the fancy sat nav option is spec'ed