Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dem communication problems

Views : 2826

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2018, 22:23   #1
Mick82

Default Dem communication problems

Hi all new to the forum. I have a 2007 xc90 d5 185 bhp with 192000 having a problem with the dem module not communicating with vida just wondering if any body else had the same problem. Also the mechanic said it could be the pump but I've tested the pump when my original module went down and it was fine run 12v to it and it fired up but could a dodgy pump prevent Vida from communicating with it any advise would be gratefully appreciated thanks in advance.
Mick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 19:33   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Default DEM comms

I has an issue with my DEM on my V70 AWD R a couple of years back. In my research I found this :-

4. If the driveshaft is spinning, access the Differential Electronic Module (DEM). If there is no communication with the DEM, check for power on the Blue/Red wire, ground (Brown and Black wires) and network integrity by checking resistance between the Green and White wire. With the battery disconnected, there should be 60 ohms between the two wires.

Having researched my fault - no 4 wheel drive with DTS DEM0005 I did the above

There is battery voltage to pins 1+2 on the DEM connector, and 60 ohms resistance between pins 7 & 8 Canbus ( Battery disconnected - this I read is correct)

Before spending big money on fixing the issue,( I'ds be surprised if the AWD still worked) I'd consider removing the DEM and sending it to Volvo Diagnostics in London. Speak to Lucus, he has done many good turns for members here. Advertises in traders section. Personnally I'd bank that water has gotton into the DEM electrics and its U/S. fortunately Lucus can supply 2nd hand reconditioned units.

Good luck

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 00:40   #3
Mick82

Hi thanks for reply my unit is a recon conditioned 1 my original unit didn't communicate either when that went down but just put it down to the module that had failed as I don't know slot about these units gonna get under car tomorrow with multi meter and see what happens. Am I right in saying that num 7 and 8 pin are the ones that let the dem communicate to the system?
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 08:04   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick82 View Post
Hi thanks for reply my unit is a recon conditioned 1 my original unit didn't communicate either when that went down but just put it down to the module that had failed as I don't know slot about these units gonna get under car tomorrow with multi meter and see what happens. Am I right in saying that num 7 and 8 pin are the ones that let the dem communicate to the system?
So your diagnosis was guessing and throwing parts at the car?
That's never a good methodology.

Find the root cause first, and then order parts.

You need to check if CAN bus communications (and power and ground) are present at the DEM, before you make any decisions about where the problem lies

And you need to be using VIDA to check for communications to the DEM....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 10:34   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Am I right in saying that num 7 and 8 pin are the ones that let the dem communicate to the system?
Yep that's the pair I read about, and the ones I tested. Remember to have the battery disconnected for this test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

And you need to be using VIDA to check for communications to the DEM....
+1 on this too. without VIDA I would never have got to the bottom of my issue. And even with VIDA because I was not an experienced user it took a while, and help/chat with lads from here and other Volvo sites.
Did you use by chance BBA Reman??

Good luck

Cheers
Bob
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 10:38   #6
Mick82

No I wasn't guessing actually when my original unit went down I came on the forums to research then had the car put onto Vida it wouldn't communicate then either so after a bit more research took the dem off and sent it off and found out that it was burnt out. So order a recon unit changed the oil and filter put the new one on it worked for a couple of hours then blew the fuse had it put back on Vida still won't communicate. I've come on here for help not to have snotty reply's off ppl
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 10:40   #7
Mick82

Cheers Bob I will do that
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 13:03   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
No I wasn't guessing actually when my original unit went down I came on the forums to research then had the car put onto Vida it wouldn't communicate then either so after a bit more research took the dem off and sent it off and found out that it was burnt out. So order a recon unit changed the oil and filter put the new one on it worked for a couple of hours then blew the fuse had it put back on Vida still won't communicate. I've come on here for help not to have snotty reply's off ppl
The DEM doesn't "burn out" for no reason.
The DEM doesn't blow a fuse for no reason.
You have to find the root cause that cause the burnout and caused the fuse to blow....

If the new DEM board also failled with the same symptoms, then you need to figure out what is going on.
What electrical part of the entire DEM remained in your car, when you removed the DEM?
Did the pump remain?
Does the pump work? Have you actually tested it?
Is it jammed / failled / overloaded? If so, that is what is causing the DEM circuit board to fail, and the DEM circuit board failure is simply a consequence of DEM pump motor failure.

Remember, the helpful people on this forum such as myself who invest personal time to provide feedback to you get very frustrated when only a partial picture of the fault and the actions taken is painted.

If you invest the time to fully describe the failure symptoms, and what actions you took and how you reached you decision that the DEM was bad, that would save all of us a lot of time and help you to reach a resolution faster.

I trust that you are able to see that my response is actually intended to help you, but you also have to help me and the other readers with a proper descriptive post about what you have done so far.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 14:16   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Just cos I asked if you used BBA Reman, it should NOT be in ANNWAY be construed that I would recommend that company. I can think of at last one other member who would 100% support me in this stance.

You may wish to read that as you may..... I'm sure you'd be right

Cheers

Bob
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 16:03   #10
Mick82

Hi Bob sorry that wasn't aimed at you at all. and Swiss x90 I see what you are saying but I don't really know anything about these units that's why I'm asking for advice just saw the post and thought you were being snotty so sorry about that. I'll get under car when weather is a bit better hopefully 2mo and check out the system with a multi meter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick82 For This Useful Post: