Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suggested tyres for an XC60

Views : 2558

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2018, 19:14   #1
Vek

Default Suggested tyres for an XC60

Hi all

New to the Volvo forum and would like suggestions for replacement tyres for a 2015 XC60. Circa 20k+ mileage per year so must of reasonable quality. Key criteria for me is longevity and fuel consideration. Generally speaking i do not drive like an F1 driver

Appreciate any advice based on experience.

Thanks
Vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 19:47   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Need a bit more information - i.e. what size wheels, is it R-Design, do you go off road, rural area etc?

Have a look on the Mk 1 XC90 forum there is a huge thread on this and mostly uses the same size tyres.

For long life though you will be looking at SUV (rather than 4x4) tyres like ContiEcoContact - very long lasting but average in the winter.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 19:55   #3
Rex65

I've done 18k on my Pirelli Scorpions and so far all good.
Averaging around 47mpg and minimum wear.
Many recommend the Nokian weatherproof tyres for good all round all seasons use but I don't have any experience of those yet but will try them out next time.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 22:45   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

+1 for Nokian Weatherproof, especially if you live up north - as the OP does.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2018, 23:26   #5
Vek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Need a bit more information - i.e. what size wheels, is it R-Design, do you go off road, rural area etc?

Have a look on the Mk 1 XC90 forum there is a huge thread on this and mostly uses the same size tyres.

For long life though you will be looking at SUV (rather than 4x4) tyres like ContiEcoContact - very long lasting but average in the winter.
Thanks for the comments, 18” SE Lux D4. Combination of rural a roads across North Yorkshire dales or motorway depending on location for the day. Typical commute circa 140 miles round trip daily. Not intending to go off road
Vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:33   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vek View Post
Thanks for the comments, 18” SE Lux D4. Combination of rural a roads across North Yorkshire dales or motorway depending on location for the day. Typical commute circa 140 miles round trip daily. Not intending to go off road
Nice car I had same one for 2 years....

Unless you want to keep 2 sets of tyres and swap for the winter, would strongly recommend an all season. The most popular on here seem to be the Nokian as mentioned. Michelin Cross Climate gets similar reviews. Cooper Weathermaster also a good option with a winter bias but can be used all year.

If you get snow, you will be disappointed with the factory spec SUV tyres...

Check out oponeo.co.uk
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 13:38   #7
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Nice car I had same one for 2 years....

Unless you want to keep 2 sets of tyres and swap for the winter, would strongly recommend an all season. The most popular on here seem to be the Nokian as mentioned. Michelin Cross Climate gets similar reviews. Cooper Weathermaster also a good option with a winter bias but can be used all year.

If you get snow, you will be disappointed with the factory spec SUV tyres...

Check out oponeo.co.uk
I'd go for the Michelin Cross Climate. If the dealer would have swapped at the outset I'd have gone for those from new, but no dice. Stuck with the Contis for now.
Old May 24th, 2018, 14:18   #8
mfresh
Nice person

I've got the Nokian Weatherproof and they are great in the summer and were fantastic in the snow we had earlier in the year. Would recommend them alot.
Old May 24th, 2018, 15:44   #9
JamieBUK

Another vote for Michelin CrossClimate.

I couldn't stand the factory fit ContiEco tyres, so as soon as the front set wore down I replace all 4 with CrossClimate SUV. Great for the fairly light levels of snow we get down south, improved the wet handling and amazingly the dry handling feels more predictable.
Old May 24th, 2018, 20:50   #10
GuidoBrunetti

Does anyone know whether Volvo imposes any restriction on its dealers to ensure approved used cars have matching Volvo approved tyres all round ie same brand and type. This was true for Jaguar when I owned an XF and would have had an impact on value at trade-in if they didn’t match. The front tyres on my XC60 will need to be replaced soon - Pirelli Scorpion Verde.