Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B20 oil leak fix??

Views : 1678

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 00:31   #1
lelshaddai

Default B20 oil leak fix??

I just observed a large oil leak dripping between engine and transmission at the bell. I assume it is a rear main. I replaced that before when I had the engine out a couple years ago. It is very steady and drips all the time and steady. Can the rear main in a B20 be replaced without pulling the engine? I have pulled the gearbox before. It is not gearbox fluid. I have the green books but none of them have this procedure in them.
lelshaddai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 08:49   #2
mentepazza

Replacing the rear Franck seal is a pain in the arse. No need to remove the engine. Remove the driveshaft, gearbox and do the job. It’s a 2 people job, tranny very heavy. Take your time. Did it DIY job and took me well over 12 hours 😤😤😤
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 09:20   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Last year I thought my rear seal was leaking too. However, when having more work done, the source was investigated before major work in that area. It turned out to be a loose connection at the take-off for the oil pressure warning light (on the block under the manifold), the fan blowing the oil leakage back then down.
Take a look - far cheaper to fix!

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 12:24   #4
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
Last year I thought my rear seal was leaking too. However, when having more work done, the source was investigated before major work in that area. It turned out to be a loose connection at the take-off for the oil pressure warning light (on the block under the manifold), the fan blowing the oil leakage back then down.
Take a look - far cheaper to fix!

P
Couldn't agree more - I don't have much experience of the B20 (yet) but other engine types (in particular Mercedes) often have "top down" leaking problems. Valve cover gaskets are one such popular problem.

As for the seals on my B20 it has been modified to have the more modern seals on either end of the crank - I'm kinda hoping the modern stuff is more reliable as well as being easier to fit.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 15:00   #5
lelshaddai

Since I have the new rubber seal setup I do not think I can go back to felt seals. I drive this car often so I do not think it is drying up. It has alway leaked a little, even after I replaced the seal the first time. It is just now the gates have opened and there is a huge leak, 10 inch diameter stain where it sits.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 17:15   #6
c1800
Master Member

What is the condition of the crankshaft where the seal rides on? Often there is a groove worn and the new seal will leak. May need a Speedi Sleeve

https://www.skf.com/binary/26-128020...edi-Sleeve.pdf

Read this forum post for discussion and pictures.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...+sleeve&page=2

Last edited by c1800; Feb 3rd, 2019 at 17:29.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 17:36   #7
lelshaddai

I have not removes the trans and flywheel yet to know that. But looks like I will know next week if I start the tear down.
Old Feb 3rd, 2019, 19:16   #8
mentepazza

Funny is volvo never solved this problem. 5 pot as well suffer the same problem.
Replacing that 10 pounds seal costs a lot of time and effort and money if you get it done by garages.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 09:00   #9
arcturus
arcturus

Put a bucket under the drip and re cycle the oil
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 13:03   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

lel...;

Following with interest!...that's a fair amount of leakage, and it's source should be simple to determine, but before dropping trans, I'd make damn sure that oil is actually coming from inside there, presumably Rear Main (Rear Cam Cover is back there also, and it's also supplied by the oil system)...because I've seen it seep out from back of Valve Cover and gather there at the lowest spot...the first thought is always: ...leaky Rear Main...but a close inspection shows really where it comes from...and it's not there...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote