Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v60 droning noise

Views : 1820

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2019, 10:33   #1
mikeouk

Default v60 droning noise

I have a september 2014 v60 d5 r design. I bought the car last september with 138000 miles on it. Ever since I bought it ,there has been a droning noise, which I put down to a worn wheel bearing. I decided to leave it until the 144000mile service, which requires cam belt change, so thought it best just to get the whole lot done in on ego. Took the car in the other day to a local independent garage, I know the owner personally and always take my vehicles there. He said he doubted the noise was a wheel bearing, and has called me to say both rear tyres are worn unevenly, so Ive ordered 2 new rear tyres .
But, im a little confused why the rears would wear like this, is it something other owners have experienced with the v60, and if so, is there anything that can be done to prevent it?
Taking into account the car was averaging 35000 miles a year before I bought it, the tyres cant be very old.
mikeouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 13:12   #2
Spike56
Master Member

Tyre wear is a consequence of friction, mostly. Drive quickly on twisty roads and they wear faster than a slow car, long distance, on a motorway.

Wheels have front to rear alignment and also camber. Top to bottom alignment, which if wrong causes edge wear.

Tyres are also crucial to noise levels. When I bought my S60 I too thought that a bearing might be going (loud!). However the 2 front tyres were well scrubbed so I changed those (Then had a HUGE puncture on a rear, so changed those too) and the reduction in noise was astonishing.

Still quite rumbly on a lot of surfaces, but near silent on 'smooth' patches. Not many left where I live it's all potholes or concrete.

Tyres have a listing category for noise levels on the label they come with. I think it indicates outside noise level but assume it must relate to internal noise too?

Most tyre centres can (for a fee) realign your wheels correctly, supply a range of quiet tyres and check bearings, scrubbing brakes etc. Well worth investigating as the difference it makes means driving once again becomes pleasurable!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 13:13   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

My V60 is on 70k miles and has the exact same issue with uneven rear tyre wear and droning. I saw this thread a few days ago regarding the same tyre wear issue on an XC60... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291310

In the last few weeks my car has been to a local Volvo dealer twice (first for a routine service and then for a repair to the electrical system) and both times they've given it a full video 'health check' which has flagged the rear tyre issue on the basis that the inner tread of both rears are down to 2mm. When I last collected the car a few days ago I had a lengthy chat with the technician about the uneven wear, plus I mentioned the droning.

He suggested that the rear trailing arm bushes being worn is a common reason for such uneven wear, however he had checked mine and found no wear... the only thing he could suggest was that I have a full four wheel alignment performed. The droning on mine is completely unrelated to cornering so I had already ruled out a wheel bearing being responsible, a conclusion he agreed with. However he did confirm that (like the uneven tyre wear) this droning is a common problem on these models and - in his experience - is due to the uneven wear on the rear tyres, particularly when the wear causes a 'step' in the tyre tread. I cannot see an obvious step on my rear tyres, but I've only checked by eye and not with a straight edge.

Last edited by Zebster; Feb 7th, 2019 at 13:16.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebster For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 18:20   #4
Wobbin

Default Me too

I have something like this going on too on my 2012 V60 and for a while I've been thinking that it was noise from the diff bearings? Reading t'interweb and the forums I've not found anyone who has had diff problems on a front wheel drive only car.

The noise starts at around 45mph in 4th & 5th gears, is definitely road speed dependant and is still there if I knock the car out of gear. Slow down to 40mph and it's gone again. Front tyres are recently fitted Yokohama Blue Earth and they made no difference to the noise. I can't really notice it at all at motorway speeds.

My car does have decent brand tyres on the back but they are different types and at the moment there's plenty left on the tread but reading this makes me want to swap them out next time I'm feeling flush.

I'd be happy if it was uneven tyre wear, cheaper than a gearbox swap :-)
Wobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 20:37   #5
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Default Us too!!

I’ve noticed The same noise in our 2014 V60 R-design, I’d put it down to being just how the car is. Our rear tyres are ready for replacement and I’ve got a pair of Michelin pilot sport 4’s ready to go on so hopefully it’ll be quieter after this and I’ll have a good look at the old tyres when they come off
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 20:48   #6
gizzy

Wink Droning noise.

I picked up my 2012 V60 SE 1.6 diesel estate and driving it home from Wales the rear tyre noise is just dreadful. if I had wanted bagpipes....

Being a complete newbie to the make can any of the members give me a pointer as to the preferred make of tyre which is quieter.

Other than this the car is excellent and I look forward to long term ownership.
gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 21:40   #7
JRS80

The quietest tyre I’ve had on my V60 is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. Can’t comment on longevity yet.

Previously owned:
2005 V70 2.4 SE Auto 170
1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto 140
JRS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 10:46   #8
Tenuta

Cool It was my rear tyres in the end!

Yep

V60 T4 rear tyres after 36,000 miles were very close to the wear bars and the noise for the last few thousand miles has been incredible. I had noticed it getting louder and I too thought it was a wheel bearing as had one go on a previous car. I also thought it was because of the tread pattern on the replaced front tyres (tried Michelin PS4) and was considering taking them off and putting ContiSports back on. As soon as rear tyres replaced with ContiSport 6 then absolute bliss, peace and quite. Will put ContiSport 6 on the front when the Michelins wear down but totally agree with The Goodyear Assy tyres for wet grip and very quiet, unfortunately they don't do them for my 19" rims, only the older versions and tyre technology has moved on a lot since then.
Tenuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 06:30   #9
Wobbin

Default Update....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbin View Post
I have something like this going on too on my 2012 V60 and for a while I've been thinking that it was noise from the diff bearings? Reading t'interweb and the forums I've not found anyone who has had diff problems on a front wheel drive only car.

The noise starts at around 45mph in 4th & 5th gears, is definitely road speed dependant and is still there if I knock the car out of gear. Slow down to 40mph and it's gone again. Front tyres are recently fitted Yokohama Blue Earth and they made no difference to the noise. I can't really notice it at all at motorway speeds.

My car does have decent brand tyres on the back but they are different types and at the moment there's plenty left on the tread but reading this makes me want to swap them out next time I'm feeling flush.

I'd be happy if it was uneven tyre wear, cheaper than a gearbox swap :-)
Talking to myself now LOL..... just in case it helps anyone the cause on my V60 was the offside front wheel bearing. It was a bar steward of a job to change it over but everything is peaceful now. The old bearing was stiff and noisy and had a line of rust visible where the two halves met so likely just dried out grease wise.

Last edited by Wobbin; Jul 17th, 2019 at 06:32. Reason: Thought of something else...
Wobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 08:42   #10
Hawkeye v70

Default Rear suspension

The rear suspension will be out of Alignment as in most likely the rear track which is adjustable that is why the tyres are wearing and that will cause the droning noise
Hawkeye v70 is offline   Reply With Quote