Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM Wiring/Repair Information

Views : 216547

Replies : 357

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 14:41   #1
Russell_S

Default CEM Wiring/Repair Information

Hi, I've recently had a headlight problem which, at first, appeared to be the common CEM issue (see this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67437) but finally turned out to be a break in the wiring loom. However, while fault finding the problem I found out a bit about the CEM which I thought others could find useful in faulfinding their own headlight related issues. I've taken a few pictures to help with this.

I have attached to this thread the Volvo wiring diagram for the CEM and headlights because the Haynes manual is worse than useless in this respect as it doesn't even show the CEM in their wiring diagrams.
I have also attached the data sheet for the Fujitsu relays that are used for the headlight switching in the CEM. I originally assumed that they would be solid state relays but in fact they are normal miniature PCB mounting mechanical relays so it they do fail then the data sheet could help find a replacement to repair the CEM.

Firstly, for those who don't know where the Central Electronics Module (CEM) is situated, here is a picture:

Next we have a picture of the CEM circuit board itself highlighting the headlight relays:

and now a picture of the CEM connectors and their pin numbering to go with the attached wiring diagram:

Hopefully others will find this information useful as the CEM does appear to be a weak component with respect to headlight switching.

Regards

Russell
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo CEM Headlight Wiring.pdf (58.2 KB, 1487 views)
File Type: pdf Relay datasheet.pdf (67.1 KB, 1259 views)
Russell_S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 105 Users Say Thank You to Russell_S For This Useful Post:
1066harold, alex mccallum, amillar, andybeals, ArchieAK2, Baffler, bar72, beautifulstranger, bigal1945, bikerider58, Brian021176, brunis, Buzzvolvo, bychan, c.d.b., cbarrow, cdafts, chamby55, CharlesStevenson, ciaranr, Clan, clivet, Cold Fusion, copperknob, CopthorneMike, Cudzu, Cymro1986, davevolvo, DJSVOLVO, Dory2, druid, Elektrik, emrob1664, Explorer, Florin78, Fortune7, GaryS40, gatos, Giggsy07, gordonshim, guzziguy, hanixman, Hans Christian, Helibatics, HilAntti, host07, Iangrime, jcwallac, jgillmor, jimba, Joe Soap, jordanfc, kam1944, kc66, kevin key, kieran40, kilou, Lazy1948, lenny, littlehomer, loely, LPR, lyron, Madmax43, MartinPreston, martsam72, Mikael81, Mike Stephenson, mikepesch1, molemot, myatt1972, neanderthal, nscottmusic, ojtee, old64mb, Parisien, perez, petergj, prunenoire, qipan, RandomGuy, reynolds_p1, RichardC, RiPsTa33, rodriguo, Ron S40, Ronegade, s bunzel, s40zRnice, sco3ie, SEVET, shanegtr, shaun8478, skyship007, Soilworker, strider, superpeppi, T1sh0, TheCaretaker, Thethompa, twilightflyer, v40Carl, V40T4R, VolvoVXL, Wooglepie
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 19:46   #2
coupeboy

Wow- thanks for the info. Always wondered how the headlights knew to dim when starting the engine - a clever box of tricks until it goes wrong. Think l'll be paying a trip to the scrappy before attemting repair of a CEM!
coupeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coupeboy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 15:49   #3
Mark Quintet

Does anybody know anyone who can repair CEMs if they have a relay problem? But thanks for the post.
Mark Quintet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Quintet For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 21:18   #4
spickee

Got a headlight problem with mine. Don't know what it is though or how to fault find any more than I already have. No voltage on the left side head light, only getting about 1.3v at the fuse box. Right hand headlight fine. Side lights fine. Full beam fine on both sides. Anyone got any more suggestions or do I need to take it to the garage. Cheers
spickee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spickee For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 21:24   #5
Dog_Book
Idiot

I wonder if this unit can be altered to turn off the DRL's :P

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 00:52   #6
DeeJay
VOC Member

Oh bu**er!

O/S dipped head light not on (I use DRL's). Did the normal, changed the bulb, no joy.

Checked the fuses, relays and had a look at the loom (under the radiator) with no fault found.

Had the car in for some other work and they traced the defect to the CEM. Glad I was sitting down when the service guy rang me to give me the "good news" - along with the cost of a replacment new unit + labour for fault finding and replacement + (of course!) Darling's 15%!

Of course the bloody light is working fine now! Agree that Haynes is as much use as a chocolate fire guard, but if I get a repeat of this fault I'll know where to look!
DeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeeJay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 15:42   #7
viavan

Thanks for the post, headlight dip light doesn't work. trace the problem back to one of the relay in the CEM, VOLVO quote 400 plus for the whole CEM unit. Scrap yard 50 pounds. But you can also buy the Fujitsu relay as a component from sales@inelcohunter.co.uk. not too sure how much each relay cost, because i managed to repair the faulty relay (due to dry joint).
viavan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viavan For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 15:43   #8
viavan

I do agree that the Haynes manual is useless!
viavan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viavan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 17:12   #9
host07

Did someone know, which of this is the rear wiper relay?
host07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to host07 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 17:47   #10
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by host07 View Post
Did someone know, which of this is the rear wiper relay?
......the relay is in the cabin fusebox as pic....don`t know what year or model yours is but i expect it is in the same place....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay Rear Wiper.JPG (181.1 KB, 634 views)

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post: