Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 unusual issue(s)

Views : 1199

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2023, 14:29   #1
Jdizzle

Default XC70 unusual issue(s)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to XC70 ownership having picked it up a few weeks back, but not new to Volvos as I previously owned a V90CC.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with my new purchase which is a 2012 D5 SE LUX with a lot of options and the "optimisation by polestar" upgrade... but it does have a few strange niggles that I was hoping to get some guidance on.

Firstly, I have the well documented door locking issue on the driver's door... but I've found plenty of information on that and have ordered the replacement motors and intend to fit them soon. However, can anyone tell me if that same issue would be impacting the general function of the door locks? For example, I have auto door locking engaged (so the doors lock as I drive off). However, when I get to my destination, turn off the car and get out, only the driver's door unlocks - this is irritating as my kids are fairy young and I have to use the unlock button on the key to open the doors and get them out of the car)

Next up, I'm getting the "battery low" warning on the dash. I've tried the reset trick for the BMS (both the one where you push a load of buttons in sequence and also disconnecting the lead on the battery whilst the car is running) and nothing seems to work. I've run battery tests with a professional testing kit and the battery is in perfect condition (it is also a high quality and fairly new battery). I could live with the warning, but I'm wondering if it is also causing some further issues - for example the "welcome" and "see you home" function of the headlamps doesn't function, despite being turned on in the settings.

Lastly, on 2 occasions the car has completely "frozen" when the doors were open - no lights, door locks wont work and boot won't close - but there is a "low battery" warning on the dash. However, starting the car (which it does with no trouble at all) clears the fault and everything works again.

Any advice on how to fix this or for details on someone I could take the car to (ideally in the midlands!) would be very much appreciated!
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 14:44   #2
TeamG
Master Member

A simple and cost-neutral thing to try is to pull and check every fuse and relay. I’ve had the occasional fuse that hasn’t blown, but has slightly corroded contacts, which pulling and replacing has solved. If you’ve intermittent electrical issues, this could be worth a go.

Next get yourself plugged in and look for DTCs.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 16:08   #3
Jdizzle

Thank you for your help - appreciate that! Sorry to be a bit thick, but can you explain the process around the DTCs for me? Is that just an error / fault code in Volvo parlance?
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 16:47   #4
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdizzle View Post
Next up, I'm getting the "battery low" warning on the dash. I've tried the reset trick for the BMS (both the one where you push a load of buttons in sequence and also disconnecting the lead on the battery whilst the car is running) and nothing seems to work. I've run battery tests with a professional testing kit and the battery is in perfect condition (it is also a high quality and fairly new battery).

OK, you said you have "fairly new battery". So BMS reset could help you.

One should only do BMS reset if battery is up to one year old! Max year and a half...

Try this - it helped me with 15 months old battery (engine OFF !!!):

### Volvo cars 2010+ ###

Resseting Battery Monitoring Sensor when installing new main 12 V battery (without VIDA)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Ignition ON (press START for 5 sec) (key position II with engine OFF)

2) Dipped front lights ON

3) Rear foglights press 6x

4) Alarm lights press 3x (stays ON - turn OFF later)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hal9000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 17:01   #5
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdizzle View Post
Thank you for your help - appreciate that! Sorry to be a bit thick, but can you explain the process around the DTCs for me? Is that just an error / fault code in Volvo parlance?
Diagnostic Trouble Code. Either use an OBD reader (cheap internet dongle that plugs into your car) with a free app such as Car Scanner to read your codes, or Vida/Dice if you have access or know a forum member nearby that may help.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 17:29   #6
yostumpy

have you checked the small helper battery, (do pre facelift have these?)
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 19:00   #7
Jdizzle

No - I haven't.... didn't know there was one! I am also getting a "Volvo On Call Service" warning on start up - should have mentioned that, apologies.
Old Dec 5th, 2023, 20:59   #8
Sotosound
Premier Member

Auto-lock doesn't include auto-unlock. What you're experiencing is normal.

To get around it, you can unlock the doors using the switch on your driver's door armrest before getting out.

Last edited by Sotosound; Dec 5th, 2023 at 21:04.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 17:35   #9
Puffster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Auto-lock doesn't include auto-unlock. What you're experiencing is normal.

To get around it, you can unlock the doors using the switch on your driver's door armrest before getting out.
Exactly this ^^

I now press the door unlock button before I get out if people/dogs need to be extracted - its a habit now.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 17:43   #10
yostumpy

I assume you know that when you stop, and a passenger wants to get out, (front or rear) that they have to pull the internal door catch twice, once to electronically 'show intent' then secondly to mechanically open, took me a wee while to work out what was going on.