Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Missing chrome exhaust trim?

Views : 416

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 10:03   #1
ilmiont
VOC Member

Default Missing chrome exhaust trim?

I've got a question about the exhaust trim, or rather lack thereof, on my new to me 2005MY S60 2.5T SE.

I didn't spot it when I was viewing the car but I've since noticed that my exhaust looks... rather mundane. I had expected given the SE chrome inserts around the bodywork that the exhaust would also be trimmed in chrome - and this website (below) seems to support that:

Quote:
The exhaust tailpipe too has been modified, with a high-gloss finish and proportions that better reflect the engine's power. The 2.0T, 2.5T and T5 models feature chrome-plated tailpipes. In parallel, the cutout in the bumper skirt has been integrated more smoothly than before.
Source: https://www.netcarshow.com/volvo/2005-s60/

My car:

Volvo marketing car:

Source: https://en.wheelsage.org/volvo/s60/pictures/170901

Mine seems to be a different shape and does not look like it's chrome plated even under the dirt.

Questions then:

1. Am I correct to think mine would have been delivered with a round, chrome-plated exhaust?
2. Is my exhaust the original, just missing the chrome trim, or is it an aftermarket replacement where a previous owner opted for a generic part which couldn't accept the Volvo trim? (I wonder if that's what's happened here; rear exhaust perhaps needed replacement and they did away with the trim.)
3. Only if (1) is "yes" and (2) is "still original", where can I get the chrome trim?

I'm beginning to think it's had an exhaust replacement and I'm just going to have to put up with it... maybe if/when I need to change the rear exhaust sections again, I'll go back to an OEM part and get my chrome trim back!

This is all just assumption though, I don't know enough to be sure and I'm collecting references only from internet photos.

Thanks
ilmiont
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200606_093155.jpg (172.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200606_093159.jpg (101.7 KB, 43 views)
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 10:48   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

The original came with a chrome tailpipe.
NB my 2001 V70 P2 had the chrome pipe and was a Torslanda 2.4L non-turbo. The current 2004 V70 T5 has an aftermarket Cat-Back exhaust system and has the chrome tail pipe - the supplier of that after market exhaust uses the presence of the chrome tail pipe it a criteria for the supply of the correct exhaust.

I have one advertised for sale here which shows a schematic of the system with photographs https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293346
the advert contains a link to the aftermarket supplier I bought it from - he has a model identifier catalogue.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:12   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

From your photo it looks like you have the trim it just needs a very good clean.

If the trim was missing you would just see the steel pipe.

Try cleaning it with T cut or something similar.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:43   #4
ilmiont
VOC Member

I have wondered that and I might try giving it a good clean tomorrow and see what comes off, but I also thought it looks like the wrong shape - the chrome tailpieces on the press images look perfectly round, whereas mine seems to be elongated and slightly wider than it is tall.

(And to be clear for the above - I only want to ascertain what's fitted, where it came from and whether I can put a genuine Volvo chrome tip back on if needed. No interest whatsoever in aftermarket exhaust systems, or third-party tips; car is and always will be stock and I only want the factory look.)

Last edited by ilmiont; Jun 6th, 2020 at 11:52.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 14:08   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
I have wondered that and I might try giving it a good clean tomorrow and see what comes off, but I also thought it looks like the wrong shape - the chrome tailpieces on the press images look perfectly round, whereas mine seems to be elongated and slightly wider than it is tall.

(And to be clear for the above - I only want to ascertain what's fitted, where it came from and whether I can put a genuine Volvo chrome tip back on if needed. No interest whatsoever in aftermarket exhaust systems, or third-party tips; car is and always will be stock and I only want the factory look.)
Quite appreciate that, but the website I mentioned lists all the original part numbers for the various model Volvo's if you put your car model, engine size and finish in to his parts finder if you have not got access to Vida .

NB - the tail pipe you have fitted doesn't look unlike that fitted to T & T5 C70's.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 16:49   #6
ilmiont
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
NB - the tail pipe you have fitted doesn't look unlike that fitted to T & T5 C70's.
Indeed, you seem to be correct, well that's interesting in itself.

https://car-images.bauersecure.com/u...=90&scale=down

Not too sure what I'm doing to do now, probably "nothing" for the time being, this must have been replaced at some point in the past then with a previous owner being less concerned about authenticity than I am...

It is what it is and I might leave it for now; at some point in the future if it needs new rear exhaust parts again I'll try and get it back to something appropriate for an S60.