Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strong burning smell from engine, be aware

Views : 11067

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2018, 10:44   #21
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post

Maybe have a conversation with the dealer along the lines of "Get Volvo to take this back and put me in a brand new XC90 with the same monthly payment but with the lease term reset and we all go away with no bad publicity and you retain me as a customer". I would say that is worth a try.....
I think this is the route we'll potentially discuss and probably best for the dealer and us.

It's in nobody's interest for this to become my pet project considering I actually own a PR agency lol but life is too short for this agro so massively hoping a really friendly chat with the dealer will go a long way once we raise the issue with VCL.

Cheers.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 12:37   #22
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
I think this is the route we'll potentially discuss and probably best for the dealer and us.

It's in nobody's interest for this to become my pet project considering I actually own a PR agency lol but life is too short for this agro so massively hoping a really friendly chat with the dealer will go a long way once we raise the issue with VCL.

Cheers.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 13:30   #23
jmot

Apparently, the problem has been caused this time by a split/cracked camshaft seal which has caused fumes/oil to leak and burn off...

According to the service person who called with an update, this is a known issue with the xc90 but was unclear if it's part of any recall update OR whether Volvo has replaced the known defective parts on newer cars.
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 13:45   #24
jmot

which basically sounds like a buggered valve head again lol... but i'm going to find out for sure.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 09:45   #25
xsaab
Master Member

Given that the whole SPA range are derivatives of the 90s will this fault cascade across the rest of the SPA range???
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 14:59   #26
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Apparently, the problem has been caused this time by a split/cracked camshaft seal which has caused fumes/oil to leak and burn off...

According to the service person who called with an update, this is a known issue with the xc90 but was unclear if it's part of any recall update OR whether Volvo has replaced the known defective parts on newer cars.
Sounds to me like the seal was damaged during the other repair work.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 17:04   #27
jmot

no idea, possibly find out tomorrow. Just had a call telling me they are putting the car back together and should be ready later tomorrow LOL.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 13:03   #28
jmot

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What a total shower of sh1te.

Only this AM went to collect the xc90 back. 8 miles home and pulled onto driveway and SMOKE...again.

Drove straight back to dealer and had a right pop. As it's basically xmas and Thrifty will be booked out solid I decided to not go via Volvo assist again as I knew the Thrifty xc60 would still be waiting for pickup at dealer...

Noticed when I picked it up the mileage was exactly the same as recovered...
According to them, master technician did not/does not test drive cars, thats a total lie spun by front desk as they try to bounce the queue of waiting customers along. No. All they do is let the car run, stationary and check for fault codes and leaks.

Been told that what was burning off was residue from the previous leak which was not steam cleaned properly despite being told it had been steam cleaned down.... which is possibly true but I'm calling BS on as this smoke was fresh and LOTS like before. I'm going with half-arsed fix but it would be nice for it to be as simple as just not cleaning it properly.

Apparently, they are dropping our xc90 off at home later once they've given it a thorough clean and run some more tests.

We'll see.

Have been provided only half the paperwork required for our formal complaint to Volvo car leasing as only details the work dealers have billed volvo for, and each job is 1 case number not multiples for the same issue. Does not show all the times car has been in for software issues and all the times i've been provided loaners etc.

They will have that info tho. Sneaky not to provide it.

Sigh.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 16:55   #29
Deman77
Master Member

Looks like you drew a short stick with your dealer. It is comically incompetent.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 17:11   #30
jmot

xc90 is back on drive as promised, engine bay looks brand sparkling new so clearly, someone got rollocked.

We shall see what happens over xmas but it speaks volumes that as customers we are now in the mindset of "reset the clock" for problems.

Contacting VCL 1st week back in Jan to get the ball rolling on a replacement request.